News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

ITT - COMIC BOOK NERDS ONLY

Started by E.O.T., February 11, 2010, 07:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

I'll have to get my talons on that.

As comic book TV shows go there are very few good ones, but I was really surprised with Batman: The brave and the bold.
I had initially dismissed it as altogether too childish, but after being linked to the musical episode with Neil Patrick Harris I went back and watched the whole thing to date.
Its fantastic, the tone is definitely light hearted but its writing is fantastic, brilliant humour in it and some really good commentary on why comics aren't fun any more.
In essence this is all the crazy campness of the sixties show and all the over the top magic and star battles of the seventies thrown into a big mix.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Faust

Anyone looking for a good series to read, look for Alan Moore's miracle man. Unfortunately reading a physical copy is rather difficult to do, without going into too many details this comic is the worst case scenario for legal disputes and has not been reprinted. If you have trouble finding a digital copy online PM me.

The series premise is a shallow knock off of DC's Captain Marvel, it quickly turns into a bizarre exploration of the idea of the Übermensch and the cruel divide between mere humans and the new man.

LaughingOtter

OMG

DOKTOR   
BUT DOKTOR SLEEPLESS. HE'S SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY.

DOKTOR   
WHO'S AFRAID OF A CARTOON MAD SCIENTIST?

-BE AFRAID

be very afraid

Or better still, a Mad Scientist named Cartoon!

Is that John Constantine with The Ghoul on that cover? That dude gets everywhere! And I believe he was in Madame Xanadu's drawers at one time too (she was mentioned a while back, I think).

Beer and Pinball, Dammit!

Faust

Well I finished miracle man, its easily as good as The Watchmen if not better. Goddamn Alan Moore hates superheroes.

h-town

Anyone ever read this one:

It's about a robotic tax collector who has a license to kill. The art is insane.

Faust

I've heard its one of his more fun ones. I find it difficult to trust millar any more though. All of his latest work can only be appreciated on an Ironic Level.

Damnit: someone read miracle man so I have someone else in the world to talk to about it.

E.O.T.

Quote from: Faust on April 24, 2010, 02:45:31 PM
Anyone looking for a good series to read, look for Alan Moore's miracle man. Unfortunately reading a physical copy is rather difficult to do, without going into too many details this comic is the worst case scenario for legal disputes and has not been reprinted. If you have trouble finding a digital copy online PM me.

The series premise is a shallow knock off of DC's Captain Marvel, it quickly turns into a bizarre exploration of the idea of the Übermensch and the cruel divide between mere humans and the new man.

MIRACLE MAN

that is a great series, and YEAH, i've had a hell of a time tracking down all the copies for less than a bunch of bucks. Curiously YES, i recall no trade paberback or anything, legal/ licensing battle eh?

I AGREE

this is some of Moore's better stuff.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

E.O.T.

Quote from: Faust on May 04, 2010, 11:35:40 PM
I've heard its one of his more fun ones. I find it difficult to trust millar any more though. All of his latest work can only be appreciated on an Ironic Level.

Damnit: someone read miracle man so I have someone else in the world to talk to about it.

THAT'S

millEr sir, not millAr. Frank Miller has some good stuff but he needs to get out more.

Faust

Quote from: E.O.T. on May 06, 2010, 06:17:21 AM
Quote from: Faust on April 24, 2010, 02:45:31 PM

MIRACLE MAN

that is a great series, and YEAH, i've had a hell of a time tracking down all the copies for less than a bunch of bucks. Curiously YES, i recall no trade paberback or anything, legal/ licensing battle eh?

I AGREE

this is some of Moore's better stuff.
You got physical copies for less then a few hundred an issue. Holy shit.

E.O.T.

FAUST!!

you gotta be psyched (or no?) about the new MARVELMAN reissue series out now, hey? That much more likely that the MIRACLEMAN stuff will be collected & back in print!!

E.O.T.

IN OTHER

comic nerdiness news, I'd like to thank alla you's who suggested Warren Ellis to me in this thread. So far, his GRAVEL story is closest to my interest but strangely(ha!) hard to find all the back issues. On one hand i do get turned off by these writers who're responsible for 23+ titles a month but he's an absolute, if not THE exception! Ellis is just a fucking great writer! I read a 4-shot "IRON MAN" series of his and he's got Tony Stark down like nobody! Also, he's not just writing a host of superhero titles, a lot of his stuff is original and all across the fucking board. The "DOKTOR SLEEPLESS" stuff does seem to be his art in an organic, crystallized form though, it just rolls.

AGAIN,

THANKS!!

Faust

Quote from: E.O.T. on September 20, 2010, 04:25:30 AM
FAUST!!

you gotta be psyched (or no?) about the new MARVELMAN reissue series out now, hey? That much more likely that the MIRACLEMAN stuff will be collected & back in print!!
Disney are finalising the legal side of it and they want to print is, as their trophy for taking marvel over. And theres the fact that Post watchmen anything with Alan Moore on the cover sells like hotcakes.

Faust

E.O.T.

FAUST

you are the uuber-nerd of comic news

WILDSTORM

put out some great shit during it's different periods, but had you actually been reading any of the current titles? Most of the best talent WILDSTORM saw, are all doing great work now, just in different places. I think something WILDSTORM did really effectively was give all those creators/ artists more individual leverage.

Faust

It was a great starting point for new artists and writers as well, now its going to be even tougher for people to break into the comic book industry.