News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

Me, Asylums, Roller Coasters, and You.

Started by Dimocritus, March 25, 2010, 03:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The desert is beautiful.

I couldn't live there, but it's beautiful.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dimocritus

Quote from: Suu on March 25, 2010, 06:13:15 PM
I just found random roundtrips in August for $362.50.

FFS, I could live off of that for months  :x

HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Suu on March 25, 2010, 06:53:45 PM
I can't sleep when it's quiet.

Neighbors fucking, sirens screeching, car accidents, gun shots, pouring rain and thunder, however...

For that, there's Tucson.
Molon Lube

PeregrineBF

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 25, 2010, 10:47:36 PM
Quote from: Suu on March 25, 2010, 06:53:45 PM
I can't sleep when it's quiet.

Neighbors fucking, sirens screeching, car accidents, gun shots, pouring rain and thunder, however...

For that, there's Tucson.

Tucson might be a bit extreme, though not as bad as Detroit or Philly...

As for the silence, I've noticed the same thing. I leave my computer on (folding@home) and that works for noise. I think it might be a primitive reaction: when there's no noise from animals around there's something sneaking up on you.

Freeky

It's only totally quiet in the residential only areas. Out near I-10, or the railroad tracks, or even the main roads, it's still noisy.

Dimocritus

Yeah, but what does it smell like out there?

But really, I'm not sure why exactly, but being to far away from the ocean makes me feel trapped. I'm not even a big beach goer. I just feel "safer" knowing it's there...

Freeky

TBH, it smells like gas fumes a lot, especially when it's hot. When it rains, it smells funny. Probably due to this one plant we get here. You can't even notice the coyote poop.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: PeregrineBF on March 26, 2010, 05:02:17 AM
Tucson might be a bit extreme, though not as bad as Detroit or Philly...

Link, pls.
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

The problem with life as a roller coaster is you don't control roller coasters.  Some glassy eyed guy in a vest jams buttons and warbles into a loudspeaker and you're launched and you stay on the track.  It's a blast, for sure, especially after it's been built up, but it's inevitable to end up where you see yourself now.

I've always tried to be careful about the idea of some other place representing salvation.  Everything will be alright if I could just move to -blank-.  I've seen Arizona, Colorado, Seattle, Chicago, New York, depending on the personality, act as the mecca.  I have a feeling that once the newness of that place wears off the same feelings will strike back up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating staying put.  I just think doing it to see something new or generally adventure is more likely to get the desired effect.  Doing it to escape one's problems means less awareness of those same problems coming up only in a different setting.

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Richter

I don't think there's salvation or mecca anywhere.  Only different flavors of the strange, the DUMB, and the pretense. 

There are different people too.  Depending on how many, and how well you get on with them, this counts for a lot.   
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

Providence is extremely Lovecraftian. HP saw some serious shit living up on that hill and had a great understanding of crazy New Englanders.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Dimocritus

Quote from: EoC on March 26, 2010, 02:36:36 PM
The problem with life as a roller coaster is you don't control roller coasters.  Some glassy eyed guy in a vest jams buttons and warbles into a loudspeaker and you're launched and you stay on the track.  It's a blast, for sure, especially after it's been built up, but it's inevitable to end up where you see yourself now.

I've always tried to be careful about the idea of some other place representing salvation.  Everything will be alright if I could just move to -blank-.  I've seen Arizona, Colorado, Seattle, Chicago, New York, depending on the personality, act as the mecca.  I have a feeling that once the newness of that place wears off the same feelings will strike back up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating staying put.  I just think doing it to see something new or generally adventure is more likely to get the desired effect.  Doing it to escape one's problems means less awareness of those same problems coming up only in a different setting.

Just to clarify, I'm not doing this as a form of escape. Just a change of pace. I've lived in the same town my whole life, and have done little traveling due to my low income. I know what you mean, though. Whenever someone says to me "man, I gotta get the fuck out of shitty RI," I usually say the same things you just said. I don't even know much of anything about Tuscon or Portland, or anything really, so it's not like I expect it to be some happy magical gumdrop village. Just a change of pace. Though, maybe I should take an extended vacation before actually planning a permanent move.

As far as the glassy eyed guy in the vest, well, that made me think of this.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: dimo on March 26, 2010, 05:46:57 PM
Just to clarify, I'm not doing this as a form of escape. Just a change of pace. I've lived in the same town my whole life, and have done little traveling due to my low income. I know what you mean, though. Whenever someone says to me "man, I gotta get the fuck out of shitty RI," I usually say the same things you just said. I don't even know much of anything about Tuscon or Portland, or anything really, so it's not like I expect it to be some happy magical gumdrop village. Just a change of pace. Though, maybe I should take an extended vacation before actually planning a permanent move.

As far as the glassy eyed guy in the vest, well, that made me think of this.

There's definitely something to be said for culture shock in moving between places.  Sounds like you haven't had that experience.  I got it just going between southeastern and western MA.  I can only imagine what a cross country move would be like.  Maybe I'll do it someday too.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.