Author Topic: Picking Cain's Brains  (Read 40202 times)

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
Re: Picking Cain's Brains
« Reply #210 on: November 27, 2019, 08:38:39 pm »
Dear Mr. teh Cain man,

The 45th president of the US is in the process of declaring Mexican drug cartels Foreign Terrorist Organizations.

I'm not sure they should be categorized as terrorists, as I don't believe they have a political agenda, per se.  However, I wanted to get the opinion from someone who know a hell of a lot more about it than I do.

Thoughts?

Well, everyone has a political agenda in some sense of the word. The Italian mafia was blowing up entire streets to take out judges in the 1980s, as I'm so fond of reminding people.

But are they actually aiming to displace the state through political violence? Or are they merely using a mixture of violence and corruption to deter local law enforcement and politicians from interferring in their profitable ventures? Are they, as groups, pushing overtly or covertly for political outcomes that cannot be related just to the survival and profitability of the cartels?

I'm not convinced, as you can tell.

altered

• Reluctant Mad Prophet of Mushussu Qudmu
  • Deserved It
  • Beggar-Knight of Eris Militant
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 27, 2019, 08:44:09 pm »
One day I need to to give me a book to read about the whole P2 thing, Cain, because I’m weirdly obsessed with it.
“I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me.”

“Ever watch that famous war movie? That’s how it’ll be.”
“Which one?”
“The one where everybody dies.”
— Blood Standard, Laird Barron

Remember the fall of Yin Tu.

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 01, 2019, 02:45:36 pm »
One day I need to to give me a book to read about the whole P2 thing, Cain, because I’m weirdly obsessed with it.

I had a good one, it was mostly focused on the wider terrorist situation in Italy at the time, but it touched on it.

Ah, here we go.  Philip Willan's Puppetmasters: The Political Use of Terrorism in Italy. Dead tree format isn't cheap, but the Kindle version should be. Beyond that, they're mentioned as piece players in other books, mostly on the mafia.