News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

Apparently 2% of humans have time-space synethesia...

Started by Telarus, April 01, 2010, 05:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

ehh it's not that common. Most research pegs it at less than 5% of the population. I guess 1 out of 20 is fairly common, but hardly normal.

Cain

Most people know at least 20 people though, right?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

FWIW I can't visualize the past as "behind" me or the future as "ahead" of me. it's more like a field with areas I haven't been to. That's actually a bad description. More like a room? Only things move all the time.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

That makes it only about half as common as left-handedness. Rare, but not "OMFG freak!" rare.

LMNO

Cramulus

you'll just have to get by on your other statistical abnormalities.

:lmnuendo:

rygD

Luckily my senses seem to work properly.  Glad I am not one of those freaks.
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: rygD on April 01, 2010, 08:12:45 PM
Luckily my senses seem to work properly.  Glad I am not one of those freaks.

I know, right? I can't imagine what it would be like to see a blue car and have my senses tell me it's bacon, or the number 6, every single time. How inconvenient!

:troll:

rygD

:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

Brotep

IIRC the author of This Is Your Brain on Music claims all infants have something like synaesthesia in that the brain structures involved in perception are as yet undifferentiated. So apparently infants live in a psychedelic wonderland.

Juana

/tangent, sorta

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 01, 2010, 06:27:29 PM
It actually makes a bit of sense, because aren't space and time the same "thing"?
I wouldn't say so, partly because our minds exist in time but not space. And isn't is considered kinda like an extra dimension on top of the three we can physically perceive?
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

LMNO

This one, I can handle:  No, space and time are considered space-time.  Einstein figured that one out.

Also "Minds exist in time not space"?  Descartes called, wants his duality back.

Cramulus

Vivian Jaffe: Have you ever transcended space and time?
Albert Markovski: Yes. No. Uh, time, not space... No, I don't know what you're talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp0vr1n25u4

Cain

Quote from: Chryselephantine Shavenwolf on April 01, 2010, 08:38:46 PM
IIRC the author of This Is Your Brain on Music claims all infants have something like synaesthesia in that the brain structures involved in perception are as yet undifferentiated. So apparently infants live in a psychedelic wonderland.

I'm fairly sure I've heard that claim somewhere else, too.  Might've even been a science news website.

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on April 01, 2010, 08:49:13 PM
This one, I can handle:  No, space and time are considered space-time.  Einstein figured that one out.

Also "Minds exist in time not space"?  Descartes called, wants his duality back.

Are you suggesting Hover Cat is mired in Cartesian Dualism?