News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

Man shoots alleged child molester

Started by Dysnomia, April 08, 2010, 04:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 10, 2010, 07:22:24 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on April 09, 2010, 08:24:29 PM
Quote from: Suu on April 08, 2010, 05:16:12 PM
If you're driven to murder someone, even for a just cause such as molestation, you need to be evaluated. The correct course of action is to inform authorities and have them take care of it.

Not a response I'd expect to see get much play on a Discordian board.

What is the correct "Discordian" response?

Something not involving a reliance on the authorities to get things done.  I'm certainly not one to say someone isn't Discordian because they feel that the government and authorities are perfectly capable of taking care of all the bad guys and keeping them safe.  It's just not what I'd expect.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

President Television

If you're driven to murder someone, even for a just cause such as molestation, you need to be evaluated. The correct course of action is to inform authorities and have them take care of it.

I'd say it's less of a question of a "correct" response and more a question of a probable, expected one. Of course, I can't know for sure, but I think that's all Babylon was trying to say.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Jasper

There is

NO

correct "Discordian" response.  Discordianism in principle is the lack of a codified set of ideologies or dogmas.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: CAPTAIN SLACK on April 10, 2010, 11:43:32 PM

I'd say it's less of a question of a "correct" response and more a question of a probable, expected one. Of course, I can't know for sure, but I think that's all Babylon was trying to say.

yep, that is what i was saying.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on April 09, 2010, 02:53:36 PM
Wait, what's it called when the kid is old enough to give consent? That's "just" coersion and rape, not child molestation, right?

Also, can we really call this guy a pedophile if he was interested in a 28-year-old guy?

Yeah, I guess if he was only a part-time pedo & stuck with regular rape the rest of the time, he was probably alright.

Also, having sex with adults makes sex with kids not pedophilia anymore.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Plus, he did not write Alice in Wonderland.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on April 10, 2010, 09:32:01 PM

Something not involving a reliance on the authorities to get things done.  I'm certainly not one to say someone isn't Discordian because they feel that the government and authorities are perfectly capable of taking care of all the bad guys and keeping them safe.  It's just not what I'd expect.

I see.  So the chaos of the Pentagon, for example, isn't real chaos.  And the only solution to everything is your ratty little Ayn Rand-ish belief in the individual, alone, in the jungle.

Is that more what you were expecting?
Molon Lube

Telarus

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 18, 2010, 03:04:20 AM
There is

NO

correct "Discordian" response.  Discordianism in principle is the lack of a codified set of ideologies or dogmas.

Nah, we have a few Dogmas, but they're all specifically worded to encourage rejection of codified sets of ideologies or dogmas.

(You may think this is pedantry, but there is a religious court case in Canada arguing over this exact thing. The first wording means "your group is not a religion", the second wording means "your group is a religion".)
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Template

Quote from: Telarus on April 18, 2010, 10:39:15 PM
There is

NO

correct "Discordian" response.  Discordianism in principle is the lack of a codified set of ideologies or dogmas.

Nah, we have a few Dogmas, but they're all specifically worded to encourage rejection of codified sets of ideologies or dogmas.

(You may think this is pedantry, but there is a religious court case in Canada arguing over this exact thing. The first wording means "your group is not a religion", the second wording means "your group is a religion".)

And Discordianism is a religion.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Template on April 18, 2010, 11:03:47 PM
There is

NO

No, it's a social club for misanthropes.
Molon Lube

Template

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 18, 2010, 11:27:23 PM
There is

NO

Oh,   :oops:

Jasper

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 18, 2010, 11:27:23 PM
There is

NO

correct "Discordian" response.  Discordianism in principle is the lack of a codified set of ideologies or dogmas.

This.  This, delicious contradiction in terms. 

LMNO

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on April 18, 2010, 04:35:04 PM
Wait, what's it called when the kid is old enough to give consent? That's "just" coersion and rape, not child molestation, right?

Also, can we really call this guy a pedophile if he was interested in a 28-year-old guy?

Yeah, I guess if he was only a part-time pedo & stuck with regular rape the rest of the time, he was probably alright.

Of course, it's completely obvious that I wasn't attempting to exonerate the guy; and I suppose it goes without saying that I was trying to point out how much weirder this case is than your standard pedophile, once you start thinking about how long this went on for.

I mean, you're all smart enough to see that, right?

Oh.  

:|

Template

Quote from: LMNO on April 19, 2010, 01:52:49 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on April 18, 2010, 04:35:04 PM

Of course, it's completely obvious that I wasn't attempting to exonerate the guy; and I suppose it goes without saying that I was trying to point out how much weirder this case is than your standard pedophile, once you start thinking about how long this went on for.

I mean, you're all smart enough to see that, right?

Oh.  

:|

Looks like you tried to remove the (tentative) label of moral condemnation from the guy, without maintaining a condemnation of what he's accused of.

Your earlier post really sounds a lot like, "Bill can't be gay--he has a wife and kids!"  There's a little bit of fudging between there and here, but it's a close idea.

... hmmm ...

I think you accidentally used a phrase common in rhetorical questions.  It gives an impression like you're somewhat confident in the answer.  That's my guess.