News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

Drama Vote: Voice your opinion on the recent drama.

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, April 21, 2010, 09:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you want to be done?

Keep it as-is and let it continue.
8 (17.4%)
Split it all off and merge it into one thread.
11 (23.9%)
Don't care.
18 (39.1%)
Other (fill in the blank)
9 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on April 22, 2010, 05:02:19 PM
Quote from: Thurnez Isa on April 22, 2010, 04:55:22 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on April 22, 2010, 04:53:06 PM

I'll still be around.  Granted, mostly it's late at night when I'm sleep deprived and feeding the baby.
which will probably be just about every night  :lol:

It has been so far.  If I averaged out every night the past 4 weeks, I'd say I'm getting an average of 3, maybe 4 hours of sleep.  Late nite TV still sucks.  

Hulu.com ftw. You might also want to look into meth, I've heard it alleviates the need for sleeping as well as teeth, which actually means you'll get even more time because not only will you not need to waste time sleeping, you won't need to waste time brushing your teeth.

Seriously though, it will get better and you'll eventually fall back into a some-what sane sleeping schedule.

Cramulus

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 22, 2010, 05:00:53 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 22, 2010, 04:47:32 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on April 22, 2010, 04:30:08 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 22, 2010, 04:21:49 PM
It occurs to me that I cannot be right, in this or any other thing.  I am amazed that I haven't seen this before.  No matter how outrageous the thing I am reacting to is I, am the fucking bad guy.  There are not only two standards here, there are at least three.

Fuck it, you guys figure it out.    I see no benefit to participating, since the verdict on me was in before I even posted.

I understand where you're coming from. Before I even posted that, I knew my suggestion that we refrain from shitting on each other was going to be met with really great justifications for shitting on one another.

as I said, I'm not trying to paint you as the bad guy. I'm trying to illustrate what kind of communications interfere with cooperation towards a better board. It's not just you, it's just an example of the escalatory communication feedback loop which is the NORM at principiadiscordia.com/forum.

Well, I kind of read your placing the wrong context on my "Ari Fleisher" comment as assigning blame, especially when you clarified it as escalatory.

It's really fucking simple.  Two people got in a fight, which was bad.  It was made worse by everyone jumping in...in some cases, the same people that later started flouncing out of "disgust".  Then one admin threatened to trash the board itself because he doesn't think he's received his due, and because all the other mods and admins are incompetent...the board only had good days because he and he alone made it so.  His own words.  This apparently gives him the right to destroy 8 years of amazingly creative shit.

I made every effort throughout the Nigel/TTM thing to be a calming influence, but when one guy decides he can wreck years of writing as a means to throw his toys out of the pram, I thought - and still think - it was time to speak up.  I seem to be alone in this, so I guess I'll just back off and let everyone tell Cain how right he is, and hope that Faust is keeping up on the backups.

Don't know why I bothered.

we could keep going back and forth on this, but I'd be repeating myself. I realize you had a good justification for telling off Cain. That's not my point.

btw, faust has backups so its not like we're really in danger of losing the board. Cain said some really valid stuff which was unrelated to his empty threat.

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 22, 2010, 05:07:06 PM
Quote from: Vladimir Poopin on April 22, 2010, 05:03:47 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 22, 2010, 05:00:53 PM
Don't know why I bothered.

I don't either, but it's appreciated. You were one of the last people I expected to try and calm things down. You're surprisingly good at it.

I was trying something different.  Didn't work.

What pisses me off here is that we have 4 or 5 people working on projects for hardcopy publication.  Some really amazing stuff is being done.

But obviously, everyone fixates on the bullshit, instead of on the cool stuff.  It's this sort of thinking that drives TV programming.  We COULD put Casablanca on, but we've gotten people hooked on WWF.  The bitchy drama keeps people tuned in far more than any actual attempt at creating something.

Edit:  Funny note:  When someone else went nuclear, it became my fault.  :lol:

To be honest theres always a blow up this time of year. I know cause it's always near the end of the school year. I think it has to do with a small but sizable chunk of the board getting busy with exams or school so that puts a lot of drain on a lot of projects.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Richter

It's a hell of a plot line.  Now we jsut need to throw setting and characters around to make it all sound valid...
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Remington

I'm here for the long run. RD is the best, most productive forum I've seen so far on the Internet, despite the drama cycles.
Is it plugged in?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on April 22, 2010, 05:12:20 PM

we could keep going back and forth on this, but I'd be repeating myself. I realize you had a good justification for telling off Cain. That's not my point.

btw, faust has backups so its not like we're really in danger of losing the board. Cain said some really valid stuff which was unrelated to his empty threat.

Understood.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Richter on April 22, 2010, 05:14:38 PM

It's a hell of a plot line.  Now we jsut need to throw setting and characters around to make it all sound valid...

Gaza Strip, modern day.
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

I genuinely don't see why Cain's actions here come as a surprise to anyone.  He's been saying very many of these same things for months now.  This was the most reasonable way he's phrased it actually, as a good many of them are along the lines of losing faith in the posters here, hinting at flouncing, saying his threads don't get the attention they deserve, etc.

That said, it doesn't mean he hasn't made reasonable points in this thread.  We really do need to remember a lot of us respect one another.  The flip side of that is not getting all butthurt when harsh words are exchanged, which goes into what was said about giving each other the benefit of the doubt.  Cram said Rat had stopped posting here, and that's disappointing to me because Rat's a pretty alright guy.  He and I had a brief harsh exchange in the anarchy thread but no reason to create bad blood, at least on my end, and I would hope he feels the same.

There are too many damned alliances going on in this place.  It's understandable we all have posters we agree with or like more than others, some close friends and some we don't really care for.  One problem is when we start throwing down with anyone that even momentarily crosses those people.  Just because we like them doesn't mean they're right and conversely just because we dislike someone doesn't make them wrong.  I'd like to see a bit more separation of the drama from the actual discussion in here.  Using someone's character as a measure of their content is fucked up.  I'm thinking of Lys' cold reading thread here, which was pretty interesting, turning into a shitfest about fleecing old ladies of their social security checks or some ridiculousness.

It is pretty damned disappointing to see the list of people who've flounced recently, though.  With the exception of GS I don't recall a single one of them actually being directly involved in the drama either.  So anyone who says this doesn't affect the board so long as it's contained in the right place has their argument right there.  The rest of the board loses good posters because they don't feel like putting up with stupidity anymore.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: EoC on April 22, 2010, 05:43:38 PM
The rest of the board loses good posters because they don't feel like putting up with stupidity anymore.

If anyone finds a non-stupid place, let me know.
Molon Lube

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 22, 2010, 06:24:14 PM
Quote from: EoC on April 22, 2010, 05:43:38 PM
The rest of the board loses good posters because they don't feel like putting up with stupidity anymore.

If anyone finds a non-stupid place, let me know.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

I can think of a Pink song that's appropriate to this:

Da da da da, da da da da
Da da da, da da
Da da da, da da

I don't know if I can yell any louder
How many time I've kicked you outta here?
Or said something insulting?
Da da da, da da

I can be so mean when I wanna be
I am capable of really anything
I can cut you into pieces
When my heart is broken
Da da da, da da

Please don't leave me
Please don't leave me
I always say how I don't need you
But it's always gonna come right back to this
Please, don't leave me

How did I become so obnoxious?
What is it with you that makes me act like this?
I've never been this nasty
Da da da, da da

Can't you tell that this is all just a contest?
The one that wins will be the one that hits the hardest
But baby I don't mean it
I mean it, I promise
Da da da, da da

Please don't leave me
Oh please don't leave me
I always say how I don't need you
But it's always gonna come right back to this
Please, don't leave me

I forgot to say out loud how beautiful you really are to me
I cannot be without, you're my perfect little punching bag
And I need you, I'm sorry