News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Hate Crime

Started by BadBeast, October 21, 2010, 03:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadBeast

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Liam Stoat on October 22, 2010, 01:48:17 PM
just to be a prick, the first recorded use of the term 'hate crime' in legal records was 1922.
Yeah, we all really hate crime!
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Triple Zero

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 22, 2010, 04:21:14 AM
Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on October 22, 2010, 04:20:15 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 22, 2010, 04:15:03 AM
I just took a big hate crime.   :)

Do you mean EPIC POOMP?

I savagely assaulted the toilet bowl, and then wrote all over it with a sharpie.

Was it SMUDGY?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

the last yatto

'Motivation doesn't legally justify any crime.'

No but it decides the level of punishment.
Making a plan vs random act

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

BadBeast

Quote from: Pēleus on October 25, 2010, 11:46:00 PM
'Motivation doesn't legally justify any crime.'

No but it decides the level of punishment.
Making a plan vs random act

While motivation doesn't legally justify any crime, it can define it. eg When making the distinction between Manslaughter, and Murder. It can also mitigate a punishment, after guilt has been established. But if a crime is committed, that has factors that elevate it to a hatecrime, then the Law implemented in it's prosecution should be re-written, and properly defined, to avoid confusion when charging someone. Also to distinguish it from a "strong dislike" crime, many of which might get mistaken for hatecrime. But I think it might end up with the Courts having to prove a that a person was, indeed motivated by hate. Which means that "Hatred" would have to be quantified and defined, Legally. Which could be tricky.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

the last yatto

Things like sexual harassment and terrorism aren't as tricky? How about minors who engage in sexting being labeled a pedo.
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

BadBeast

Quote from: Pēleus on October 26, 2010, 12:53:44 AM
Things like sexual harassment and terrorism aren't as tricky? How about minors who engage in sexting being labeled a pedo.
I agree, they can be tricky, but how about someone charged with sexual harrassment, on the grounds of them being a misogynist? Is that a hatecrime?
Terrorism aimed at a specific racial group or minoritiy, is pretty cut and dried as Terrorist groups tend to state their motives and aims. And minors sexting minors isn't even prosecutable over here. But labelling them as Paedos does seem a little extreme. I don't think we even have sexting as an offence over here. Obviously, if sustained and unsolicited against a particular person, it would be prosecutable under existing harrassment Laws. But if minors are getting labelled as paedos for this? That just illustrates how careful you have to be when Legislating.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pēleus on October 26, 2010, 12:53:44 AM

The American people have been demanding shit like this since 1980.  Now they have it, and they're all outraged when DA's do what the law now says they have to do.
Molon Lube

Kai

I for one am for hate crime laws. The only way to get people to stop doing something is to make it hurt very bad, much worse than it would benefit them to do so. Or give them a shiny distraction. Either way.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Kai on October 26, 2010, 03:36:34 AM
I for one am for hate crime laws. The only way to get people to stop doing something is to make it hurt very bad, much worse than it would benefit them to do so. Or give them a shiny distraction. Either way.

I just think it's funny to stick an extra ten years on a pinhead's sentence.

Dok,
Petty, sometimes.
Molon Lube

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 26, 2010, 03:37:43 AM

Dok,
Petty, sometimes.

I have to admit, it is satisfying to see assholes get kicked in the balls.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Kai on October 26, 2010, 03:39:24 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 26, 2010, 03:37:43 AM

Dok,
Petty, sometimes.

I have to admit, it is satisfying to see assholes get kicked in the balls.

Given absolute power, I am unsure whether or not I would enforce hate legislation.

But as a spectator, I enjoy the fuck out of it.

I know there's some sticky moral problems with that stance, but I'm okay with that.
Molon Lube

BadBeast

I think I probably agree with you. You can't Legislate against people having rancid points of view, but you can Legislate against people acting out on that shit. My only concern is that it will add to the general paranoia the Media like to bombard people with, in order to distort the worldview of the more suggestable into disproportionate levels of fear.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: BadBeast on October 26, 2010, 03:44:02 AM
I think I probably agree with you. You can't Legislate against people having rancid points of view, but you can Legislate against people acting out on that shit. My only concern is that it will add to the general paranoia the Media like to bombard people with, in order to distort the worldview of the more suggestable into disproportionate levels of fear.

They're going to be afraid, anyway.
Molon Lube

BadBeast

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 26, 2010, 03:52:11 AM
Quote from: BadBeast on October 26, 2010, 03:44:02 AM

They're going to be afraid, anyway.
True enough. Maybe we should introduce "Fear Crime" Laws That might calm them down a bit. Or at least stop them screaming out loud, and waking the baby.