News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

Newbie question..

Started by geekdad, November 18, 2010, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geekdad

Ok so I'm new to Discordia, but I'd like a few grizzled vet's views on something I have not been able to reconcile.

Where does Discordia fit in today's internet/world?

Let me finish first before you go off in a rant...

I can understand where it fit in when the internet was fresh and usenet was basically the bulletin board application.

But today, there are many many places that exist really only to create chaos and dischord. I can name 20 (nearly) off the top of my head. Some being the biggest sites with userbases in the hundreds of thousands. SomethingAwful, Reddit, 4chan (and 100 other chans), Encyclopedia Dramatica, Fark, Digg, and those are just the english-based massive ones (2ch being an example of a massive non english one) .

It feels to me that any online discord that Goddess needs she can get, and within minutes. I understand that they all have their own frame of reference for what they are supposed to be, but what sets Discordia as a whole apart from those sites/movements above? If nothing, have we won?

I don't mean to bring up subjects that maybe have been hashed out before several times, I mean there is a lot of material to read, so I know I probably missed it if it has.   

I'm not saying that way is better (arguable in the case of reddit as it's discordian but not "fuck the world"), nor am I trying to say discordians are doing it w5ong currently. I'm just asking a newbie question..

inb4trollingtehnoob alsoinb4banhammer
Making you think you're crazy is a billion dollar industry.
If they could sell sanity in a bottle
They'd be charging for compressed air,
And marketing healthcare.

Placid Dingo

Try rereading through the Principia to get a feel for some of the terms.

Discordia isn't (singularly) about creating disorder. Everyone's version is different, but my interpretation of the valuble aspects is that it promotes a high creative output designed around a do-it-yourself philosophy maker.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Faust

We don't all have the same goals and agenda's here. We each get something that suits us from this website.
I'm not saying there is no overlap, I still like somethingawful despite its declining humour. I've no interest in 4chan or ED because the sense of humour is juvenile and not in an ironic way, but I'm sure there are others here that like them.

If you look around the forum you would see that we don't really follow suit with most of them (most of those sites you just listed all have their own distinct ambience and personality as well).

I mean sure there are similarities, forum invasions for example. ED would say they do it for the Lulz, I would say on this site forum invasion is a religious experience.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

geekdad

Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 18, 2010, 10:50:43 AM
Try rereading through the Principia to get a feel for some of the terms.

I will, it's all a bit heady the first few times. I also got a zip of "The Classics" so I have those as well to read.

Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 18, 2010, 10:50:43 AM
Discordia isn't (singularly) about creating disorder. Everyone's version is different, but my interpretation of the valuable aspects is that it promotes a high creative output designed around a do-it-yourself philosophy maker.

This is know, and I'm highly attracted to. It also seems a lot less focused on making fun of individuals specifically. Whereas many of those I listed are focused on that. I had used 4chan/7chan/99chan for hours a day and know many of the old old memes, I currently use reddit actively.

I focused on discord in my question I know, but I wasn't just talking about that. All of those forums are places you can find somebody contrary to your belief system. They all work to help you sharpen your own critical thoughts and maybe even break the ones that you thought you held dear. for me 4chan made me less caring, but in a good way. Less caring about the status quo, more caring about things that do matter like when Goddess is in one of her bitchy moods and is beating somebody's life up.

Maybe I was lucky and was able to get the good out of each site I visited, and leave a happier and wiser person. Which is why I don't see the frame which Discordians see the world.

Does that explain what I mean a bit better?

Placid Dingo

Let me know if I get this; since there's many other resources that play the same function of Discordia, why Discordia?

All these places offer chances to compare frames, why is Discordia better?

For me, I guess I just see that Discordia's good 'for me'. It works for me because it's the best articualtion of a set of concepts that are useful for me to explore my ideas. Also I like Discordia because the current community, at least so far as this forum is regarded, has an impressive creative output. At some point it just stopped being weird that some of my favourite writings, images, songs etc were made by people who I communicate with regularly. That's a pretty cool thing in a few ways.

I guess there's a lot of reasons to choose one groups over another, but as for why Discordia, I guess it's a personal thing.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

geekdad

Quote from: Faust on November 18, 2010, 11:06:15 AM
If you look around the forum you would see that we don't really follow suit with most of them (most of those sites you just listed all have their own distinct ambiance and personality as well).

Nor should I expect it too. I'm starting to like it, actually. It reminds me of the INTP forum I used to go to.

Quote from: Faust on November 18, 2010, 11:06:15 AM
I mean sure there are similarities, forum invasions for example. ED would say they do it for the Lulz, I would say on this site forum invasion is a religious experience.

And that's where it loses me, I'm not sure if you mean "religious experience" as:

1. "Discordia is a religion where you never stop questioning beliefs. Psst.. nudge nudge, we're just trolling everybody this is all an in joke, even on our own website." (eg 4chan doing a raid of some retarded site and saying they were from gaiaonline to stir up trouble for users there (as well as troll gaia users))

Or 2. "Fucking with people is the way we give homage to Eris, even if we don't mention her."

I know everybody is about to say 1 and 2, but then my question becomes, why both motives? If SA does it for the lulz, and Westboro Baptist Church does it for Jesus, why does Discordia need two?

The dual motive feels a bit watered down to me, but I will submit I haven't be around or read enough to find why having both motives is important. Only thing I can think of is that only one motive is actually the watered down one, and having both is the stronger position (I can't see how right now though).

BTW all, thanks for your time in advance here...

geekdad

Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 18, 2010, 11:44:40 AM
Let me know if I get this; since there's many other resources that play the same function of Discordia, why Discordia?

All these places offer chances to compare frames, why is Discordia better?

You nearly hit the question perfectly actually...

Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 18, 2010, 11:44:40 AM
For me, I guess I just see that Discordia's good 'for me'. It works for me because it's the best articualtion of a set of concepts that are useful for me to explore my ideas. Also I like Discordia because the current community, at least so far as this forum is regarded, has an impressive creative output. At some point it just stopped being weird that some of my favourite writings, images, songs etc were made by people who I communicate with regularly. That's a pretty cool thing in a few ways.

I guess there's a lot of reasons to choose one groups over another, but as for why Discordia, I guess it's a personal thing.

That sounds like a very reasonable answer really, community.

And as I've noticed it does have a nice output creativly, it might be exactly what I need to jump start my novel writing efforts.

LMNO

"Better," "worse," I think those are poor terms in which to frame the discussion.

Perhaps we should look at both the tribal cohesion, and the output of PD.

Most of us here are stubborn, argumentative people with an offbeat sense of humor, who have found a flavor of philosophy/lifestyle/religion that appeals to us.  Since we like arguing, we don't mind disagreeing with each other now and again, and are usually open to criticism in out art and our modes of thinking.  As a tribe, we can be fiercely loyal, even as we take cheap shots at each other when they aren't looking.  If that's something that appeals to you, then PD might work for you.

There have been dozens of fantastic projects that have had a direct link back to these forums, using writing, music, and visual art.  And for the most part, any confusion we attempt to sow generally tries not just to confuse and befuddle, but also to wake people up.  Again, if this is something you can get behind, welcome aboard.

Chapter 27
A good mindfuck leaves no reasons;
A good sabateur leaves no evidence;
A good artist leaves new questions;
A good barstool removes much idle speculation;
The perfect prison cell looks like the environment;
A nice tie opens many doors.

So a wise spag knows how to blend in,
and takes their freedom once inside.
They understand the people around them,
and know how to get things done.
This is called "Tweaking the Machine™".

Those who proclaim their individuality by following rebels
are still grey, though their fingernails be black.
Such things bring my palms to my face.

The Machine™ cannot be stopped.
But you can gradually redesign it
part by part,
party by party.

Chapter 58
When Authority imposes Order, people become angry.
When Authority allows Freedom, people become nervous.
To allow for mistakes means accepting mistakes;
To enforce Order ensures future punishment.
The people want Freedom, but at others' expense.
The people want Order, but only to justify their actions.
Therefore the wise spags disrupt Order,
and organize Freedom,
and freely create their Illusions.

Chapter 61
A successful cabal is like a dust cloud,
arriving from nowhere,
ungraspable,
and fading into nothingness.
The tallest blade of grass gets cut,
while the crab grass creeps unharmed.
Keep your head down.
Keep your fucking mouth shut.

Thus by concentrating on goals
without playing ego games,
much can be accomplished.
If all you want to do
is brag about how cool you are,
you might want learn to play the guitar, instead.

Chapter 63
Don't impose Order.
Don't escalate Disorder.
Unless the situation demands it, of course.
Learn to sabotage the Machine™ without getting caught.

Walk through the crowd unnoticed,
while slipping firecrackers into their pockets.
Become the faceless walking Glitch
who makes everyone's day just a little bit stranger.

The wise spags don't seek recognition,
and so leave a wake behind them wherever they go.
Being an attention whore
is like a magnet for batons
when the riots start.

Chapter 81
Words are not experiences.
Experiences have no words.

Reading about Laughter
is not the same as laughing.

These Orderly letters only approximate
the spinning Chaos of life.

The Disorder around you
has yet to find a pattern.

Now get out there
and make something happen.

LMNO

Also, geekdad:  If that INTP website is the one I'm thinking of, we invaded it a few years ago, and many laughs were had.

Richter

Quote from: geekdad on November 18, 2010, 10:38:01 AM
Ok so I'm new to Discordia, but I'd like a few grizzled vet's views on something I have not been able to reconcile.

Where does Discordia fit in today's internet/world?

Let me finish first before you go off in a rant...

I can understand where it fit in when the internet was fresh and usenet was basically the bulletin board application.

But today, there are many many places that exist really only to create chaos and dischord. I can name 20 (nearly) off the top of my head. Some being the biggest sites with userbases in the hundreds of thousands. SomethingAwful, Reddit, 4chan (and 100 other chans), Encyclopedia Dramatica, Fark, Digg, and those are just the english-based massive ones (2ch being an example of a massive non english one) .

It feels to me that any online discord that Goddess needs she can get, and within minutes. I understand that they all have their own frame of reference for what they are supposed to be, but what sets Discordia as a whole apart from those sites/movements above? If nothing, have we won?

I don't mean to bring up subjects that maybe have been hashed out before several times, I mean there is a lot of material to read, so I know I probably missed it if it has.   

I'm not saying that way is better (arguable in the case of reddit as it's discordian but not "fuck the world"), nor am I trying to say discordians are doing it w5ong currently. I'm just asking a newbie question..

inb4trollingtehnoob alsoinb4banhammer

Good question, I have to admit you approached and framed it in a way I hadn't really considered before.

Personally ($0.02 warning), I could give a rat's ass less about discord on the internet.  Like you said, there's plenty, and like Liam, I like the local asshats here. 

IRL, as far as dealing with life, the universe and everything, is more where I see the need for it.  Dealing with people, bureaucracy, and myself.  This place is great for bouncing ideas on that, and hearing new ones.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Welcome to PD. Hope you enjoy the stay.

Discordia fits anywhere she wants. Its one of the perks of being a Goddess.  While the Internet is certainly good for her PR and makes a Discordian's playtime a little more accessible, Discordia isn't formed from or tied to any single communication channel. I tend to do far more IRL Discordian stuff than 'net based.

Every man, woman and child is a Discordian in some sense. Those at 4chan, Something Awful etc are all honoring the value of chaos and discord, but they are no replacement for Discordia. The Flying Carbohydrate Deities and Search Engine Demigods are single facets of the gem that is the Chaos and Discord of our society. Who is to say that she doesn't throw on costumes and occasionally pretend to be something else? Besides, as many of us have learned in 'visiting' some of those sites... the monkeys still think its SRS BIZNESS. Thats a surefire way to recognize the potential infection of the Curse of Greyface, still present... and still requiring a good Discordian exorcism, pie in the face, a Jake or a good WOMPing.

As for winning? We always win, and have always won... ever since those bitches thought they could snub Eris at the wedding.

As the PD says "Tis an ill wind that blows no minds". You may be blowing minds for spare change on a corner down by the docks, or blowing minds on a website where you get paid... either way its still a win. Discordia isn't here to convert others to her ways, we're all humans and thus schooled in her ways since birth (either intentionally or unintentionally... or in some cases ironically). We're all Popes, from that dude in Rome, to Obama, to Glenn Beck to the Balloon Boy's family, to Paris Hilton,  Lady GaGa, Emperor Norton, to me, you and all the other monkeys that decided fur and trees weren't cool enough and went for opposable thumbs and extra neurons. Not that the extra neurons help much... I'm still hoping its just a fad.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

hooplala

Welcome to PD.

Despite the internet being a treasure trove of information there are a surprising amount of people who are still basically snoozing sheep (sounds elitist, mainly because it is) and one of the primary hobbies of discordians is poking those sheep, in the hopes that some might wake up before they fall over.  This is why Discordianism is relevant. Enjoy your stay, please leave your towels on the floor if you would like fresh ones.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Whatever

Quote from: Hoopla on November 18, 2010, 02:36:04 PM
Welcome to PD.

Despite the internet being a treasure trove of information there are a surprising amount of people who are still basically snoozing sheep (sounds elitist, mainly because it is) and one of the primary hobbies of discordians is poking those sheep, in the hopes that some might wake up before they fall over.  This is why Discordianism is relevant. Enjoy your stay, please leave your towels on the floor if you would like fresh ones.

In a nutshell, very nicely put Hoops!

Cramulus

related read: Why is Discordia more relevant than ever in the year 2008?

http://principiadiscordia.com/cramulus/index.php?title=Discordia2008

this is just a few bits I pasted from a thread somewhere in this subforum

AFK

I think another aspect of pd.com verses other "chaos inducing" internet sites is how we work to incorporate what we talk about and work on in the real world, or meat-space as some of us like to call it. 

Many here have found ways to take this stuff to the street or integrate it into their social circles, or to integrate it into work.  So we're kind of grass-rootsy that way.  Granted, this is like David vs. Goliath if David was a microscopic invertebrate and Goliath was a full grown Blue Whale. 

But as someone else suggested, it is important to understand the basic philosphy that underpins this whole thing.  So that's getting familiar with the Principia Discordia and the various books and publications that have arisen since.  We're not just here to poke holes in the pervasive false realities just to be asshats.  There is a mission statement behind it, though it may be a bit nebulous between members. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.