News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

BETA TEST READERS NEEDED TO EDIT "SME 30"

Started by LMNO, February 11, 2011, 07:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

So, I've done a first proof on my "Suprise Me, Eris!" book, and I need someone to go through it for readability, edits, and places where I should expand it more.

PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy. 

The Good Reverend Roger

In.  I can put about 3 hours into this over the weekend, will finish the rest over the next two weeks.  I will email you a chapter at a time, to keep myself honest (ie, productive).
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Cool.  I've got a couple of others interested, so if nothing else I can get good feedback about whether or not it's worth the effort.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on February 11, 2011, 08:20:03 PM
Cool.  I've got a couple of others interested, so if nothing else I can get good feedback about whether or not it's worth the effort.

As I remember it, it's good enough for real publishing, as opposed to Lulu.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Well, we'll see.  I suppose I could start my mountain of rejection slips now...

Sister Fracture

You can send me a copy if you like, and I don't care who has my email.

mistressfreeky@aol.com

Make sure you let me know you've sent it if you do, though, because I don't usually check my email.
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

LMNO

Quote from: Sister Fracture on February 11, 2011, 08:27:33 PM

mistressfreeky@aol.com

Make sure you let me know you've sent it if you do, though, because I don't usually check my email.

Sent.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on February 11, 2011, 08:27:08 PM
Well, we'll see.  I suppose I could start my mountain of rejection slips now...

When I was editing awful romance novels back in '94, I was occasionally called upon to edit other types of work.

Writing rejection slips was one of the things that made life worthwhile.  One guy sent in a collection of truly awful poetry with a note saying "If you like these, I have other irons in the fire."

My response:  "Remove irons, insert poems."

Cruel as it may sound, it beats giving someone false hope.

I can recommend a few publishers that you could bounce this off of...The trick is persistence.  You have to keep trying until you get it in front of an assistant editor who has the right sense of humor.

LMNO

What the hell, couldn't hurt.

LMNO
-Etc Discordia, Chao te Ching, 30 Days of Eris... Holy shit, I'm in print!

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 11, 2011, 08:31:07 PM
...One guy sent in a collection of truly awful poetry with a note saying "If you like these, I have other irons in the fire."

Oh, harsh.  Probably not unjustified (not having had the poems inflicted upon my fragile soul, I dunno), but harsh.

And...

Editing awful romance novels?  Awesome.  I always figured I should knock a couple of those together and retire.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Sister Fracture

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on February 11, 2011, 08:30:49 PM
Quote from: Sister Fracture on February 11, 2011, 08:27:33 PM

mistressfreeky@aol.com

Sent.

Swote!
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on February 11, 2011, 08:34:17 PM
...One guy sent in a collection of truly awful poetry with a note saying "If you like these, I have other irons in the fire."

Oh, harsh.  Probably not unjustified (not having had the poems inflicted upon my fragile soul, I dunno), but harsh.

And...

Editing awful romance novels?  Awesome.  I always figured I should knock a couple of those together and retire.

Good luck.  They're done to a formula, and it's all drag & drop/search & replace.  No shit.  The text segments are written by authors that couldn't cover their advances, and published under franchise names. 

Cramulus

Writing rejection slips was one of the things that made life worthwhile.  One guy sent in a collection of truly awful poetry with a note saying "If you like these, I have other irons in the fire."

:mittens:

Luna

I believe it.  I used to use 'em for mental bubblegum.  If I'm reading something I don't have to think about, well, I don't think for awhile.  It's background noise to shut down my brain for awhile.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on February 11, 2011, 08:42:17 PM
I believe it.  I used to use 'em for mental bubblegum.  If I'm reading something I don't have to think about, well, I don't think for awhile.  It's background noise to shut down my brain for awhile.

If you think back on them, the plot was identical in each and every one.

Handsome rogue, fiery heroine.

Heroine HATES rogue.

Heroine and rogue thrown into adventure.

Rogue bangs brains out of heroine, who suddenly loves him.

Heroine remembers she hates him when hormones are done.

Rogue talks her around.

Adventure separates heroine and rogue.

Rogue saves heroine at the last minute.

More hilarious, badly written sex with metaphors that make Oscar Wilde cry.

Happily ever sequel.