News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

UNLIMITED GOP 2012 PRIMARY CANDIDATE THREAD

Started by LMNO, March 03, 2011, 02:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Billy the Twid on February 15, 2012, 01:41:02 PM
Whereas mustaine was booted out of metallica for the amazing feat of being a bigger douchebag than the rest of metallica.

Somehow i dont think mustaines going to be that much of a boon to santorum.

If Mustaine still had a career, this would have ended it.

Performers who go right wing run into a stone wall, career-wise.  Randy Travis found this out in the 80s...Also Cedric the Entertainer, Kid Rock, Ted Nugent, Meatloaf, that screwhead Darryl Whorley, Dennis Miller, Hank Williams Jr, the dopey chick from SNL (Valerie somethingorother), you name it.

Let's call it The Meatloaf Rule:  The moment an entertainer becomes a right-winger or plays at one of their events, that entertainer is finished in the business.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Agreed. I think the last album i bought was the system has failed which was released after he reformed megadeth after his stay in rehab and conversion experience.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Some great quotes:

QuoteIn 1988, in response to the British government's criticism of homosexuality, Mustaine said: "More power to them. It says in the Bible that men should not lay with men like they lay with women. I mean I don't wanna fuck up and not go to heaven."  In an answer to a question about Judas Priest having an overt homosexual image, "I don't wanna talk about this. The last thing I need is a bunch of homos picketing us."

Quote"If I were President of the United States, I'd build a great wall along the Mexican border and not let anybody in.  The beauty is gone when you see Americans sleeping on sidewalks and it makes me sick to to think we have assholes in this country letting fucking Mexicans in. Who needs this shit?"

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

I should be horrified but it just makes him look more comedic. Almost like his mindset is entirely stuck in the early eighties.

AFK

I think there is a lot more conservative-minded folks in the metal community than one might expect.  It isn't the liberal bastion like alternative rock tends to be. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: What's-His-Name? on February 15, 2012, 06:00:44 PM
I think there is a lot more conservative-minded folks in the metal community than one might expect.  It isn't the liberal bastion like alternative rock tends to be.

Yeah, but you will also notice, again, that the moment a metal/rocker actually involves himself in conservativism by word or deed, he's essentially done.  Hell, Ted Nugent hasn't had a new fan since 1980, and he is almost unique in that he continues to draw a crowd AT ALL.

Nephew Twiddleton

While this is true i think a metalheads politics are due to other factors. I think the general idea is that metal trumps politics.

Though, i suppose metal concepts like metal purity dont help.

AFK

Quote from: Billy the Twid on February 15, 2012, 06:03:44 PM
While this is true i think a metalheads politics are due to other factors. I think the general idea is that metal trumps politics.

I think that is definitely true with some of the black metal bands.  Some of those bands have been involved in some pretty twisted stuff and have some fairly twisted ideas. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Billy the Twid on February 15, 2012, 06:03:44 PM

What's "metal purity"?

Nephew Twiddleton

It ties in with concepts like thats not metal enough and selling out and stuff. Its kinda hard to explain. Metal must always sound like metal and metal musicians are not supposed to play anything else. Silly shit like that.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Billy the Twid on February 15, 2012, 06:33:45 PM
It ties in with concepts like thats not metal enough and selling out and stuff. Its kinda hard to explain. Metal must always sound like metal and metal musicians are not supposed to play anything else. Silly shit like that.

Oh.

Hipsters have taken over metal.   :horrormirth:

Nephew Twiddleton

Nah this predates hipsters as we know them. It stems more out of metal being a largely underground form of music. Its also a convenient excuse for a shitty metal band to maintain cred :lulz:

its a pretty common mentality among high school metalheads where group identity is strong. Most grow out of it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Billy the Twid on February 15, 2012, 06:44:08 PM
Nah this predates hipsters as we know them. It stems more out of metal being a largely underground form of music.

:judge:

AFK

I think a prime and well known example is the reaction to the "Black" album by Metallica.  But I think this has far digressed from a conversation about Republican Primary Candidates.  :)

East Coast Hustle

I don't think people thought the black album wasn't metal enough, they just thought it sucked.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"