News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

How to be Horrible at Home, part 1

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 14, 2011, 02:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

My son is 17 years old.  He's already enlisted in the marines, and has a disturbing tendency to act far too responsibly for his age.

Now, being a 17 year old, he MUST rebel.  Here's where the fun is.  He comes in last Friday night at 2AM, while I'm downstairs grabbing a sammich, as I was up far too late reading.

Me:  "Hey, kid, what's up?"

Ian:  "I didn't mean to be this late."

Me:  *shrug* "Curfew doesn't apply to 17 year olds in Tucson."

Ian: "..."

Me:  "What?"

Ian:  "I thought you'd be mad or something."

Me:  "About what?"

Ian:  "Me being out so late."

Me:  "Why?"  (Puzzled look on face) "You're a grown man."

Ian (out loud):  "Oh."  (Look on face):  RAGE AGAINST TEH...WAIT!  WAT?

:lulz:

Rebelling against Dad is like rebelling against Lenny Bruce. 

TGRR,
Zen and the Art of Parenting.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Don Coyote

Make that kid do more rebelling, or he will suddenly blow a gasket and do it when he is too old to do so safely.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Donald Coyote on April 14, 2011, 02:27:48 AM
Make that kid do more rebelling, or he will suddenly blow a gasket and do it when he is too old to do so safely.

I am oppressing him by not giving him anything to be angsty about. 

This shit WORKS!

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cainad (dec.)

Although my dad and TGRR are completely different people, I can vouch for this method. I mean, just look how I turned out!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on April 14, 2011, 02:37:50 AM
Although my dad and TGRR are completely different people, I can vouch for this method. I mean, just look how I turned out!

Puffed up like a blowfish, all full o' rage?   :lulz:

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 14, 2011, 02:40:00 AM
Quote from: Cainad on April 14, 2011, 02:37:50 AM

Puffed up like a blowfish, all full o' rage?   :lulz:

:lulz:  Well yeah, but that's incidental and more due to inherently bad wiring (also the Internet). I meant the part where my teenage years were spent not being in trouble and being on positive terms with my parents.

Richter

Epic Parenting.  He's actually figuring out the value of discipline himself.  :lulz:
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Richter on April 14, 2011, 02:47:11 AM
Epic Parenting.  He's actually figuring out the value of discipline himself.  :lulz:

Yes, he'll have nobody to blame but himself.   :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 14, 2011, 02:30:15 AM
Quote from: Donald Coyote on April 14, 2011, 02:27:48 AM

I am oppressing him by not giving him anything to be angsty about. 

This shit WORKS!

:lulz:

Now THIS is artful parenting!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

My parents were very similar.

My curfew after 17 was, "4am or don't come home until the next morning...I don't want you waking us up."
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I didn't have curfew because there was no where to go and no one to hang out with. Had I grown up anywhere else, I don't think I'd have come home at all, from my 16th birthday on. :P

Nice job, Roger. :)
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Dysnomia

I've never had a curfew. I just don't get to sleep over at the guy's houses willy nilly unless it's a party and I wouldn't be safe to drive home.  I just have to be home before my mother inevitably wakes up because her 6th sense tells her I am not home and OMG SHE MUST BE DEAD.  Which is more than reasonable I think, especially considering some of my friend's experiences with parents....They usually make me do this.   :aaa: :asplode:
It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

Dysfunctional Cunt

Roger, thank you.  I've been doing it wrong all along.  I am going to try this on JW. 

See I had a curfew even after I had kids and had to move back home.  I rebelled so badly against how rigid my parents were I was afraid to be that bad, but then with JW, who was sneaking out of windows at 8, I decided it was either stay on him like glue or pick him up from jail on a regular basis. 

Maybe jail would have been better for him than an overprotective, slightly insane mother.  :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I didn't have a curfew (well, or a mom - she moved to Everett when I was 15) but there was nothing to do and the one time I tried to go to a party I got raped, so that put kind of a damper on further explorations.  :lol:

My oldest is 13 and she doesn't have a curfew per se, I just need to know where she is and who she's with all the time. Thank god for cell phones! I might be a little overprotective but being able to stay in constant communication really eases my mind. 
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."