News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

The Atlas Shrugged Themepark?

Started by Mangrove, August 16, 2011, 04:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on August 18, 2011, 04:37:46 AM
I know a few. They're redneck drunks and/or potheads who got disenchanted with that dry republitard Bush shit but aren't quite ready to be LIBRULS.

Guess my stereotype is from the college crowd.

And they'll never be socially liberal, because they can't stomach the thought of smudgies and sodomites being /people/.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mangrove

Dok H is right - this is actually genius. Bit like the guy who gets paid much coinage to design bunkers for rich idiots who believe in the 2012 Doomsday stuff.

Or the guy who sells '2012 survival supplies'.

Soooo much money to be had if only we look!
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on August 18, 2011, 04:48:37 AM
Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on August 18, 2011, 04:37:46 AM
I know a few. They're redneck drunks and/or potheads who got disenchanted with that dry republitard Bush shit but aren't quite ready to be LIBRULS.

Guess my stereotype is from the college crowd.

And they'll never be socially liberal, because they can't stomach the thought of smudgies and sodomites being /people/.

Exactly. Because their whole self-image seems to hinge on looking down on people WHO ARE ACTUALLY COOLER THAN THEM.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Disco Pickle on August 18, 2011, 12:39:55 AM
Quote from: Iptuous on August 18, 2011, 12:11:32 AM
I think i'm missing something.
everyone is gleefully thinking about how Mr. Thiel's Island is going to burn to the seafloor in a spectacular failure of radical libertarian foolishness....
but.
all i've seen is that he's donated 1.25M to the seasteading institue, which specifically says on their website that they aren't going to be building any islands themselves.  they just do studies, etc.
so...
who's making an island here?

Come on Ippy, you've been here longer than I and you know that when ANY libertarian idea is discussed, no matter WHAT, it's met with :lulzlibertardians: are teh lail.

Concrete concepts are not necessary if the get in the way of teh lulz

That's an unfair generalization.  I personally don't rip on libertarians at every opportunity.

Because it's sort've like laughing at the retarded kid who can't operate the swing set.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Iptuous on August 18, 2011, 01:46:18 AM
according to TYT, the libertarians are anarchists...

What's TYT?

IME Libertarians are close to anarchists, but with different, equally unrealistic values.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on August 18, 2011, 04:09:46 AM
Libertarianism is lulzy because it takes "let's all take on a little more responsibility for more social freedom" and turns it into "CAPITALISM AND INDUSTRY ARE GOD AND EVERYTHING THAT'S GOOD ON THIS PLANET, AND THE BUSINESSMAN CAN DO NO WRONG, ALSO, GUNS FOR ALL THE CHILDREN! ALSO ALSO, GOVERNMENT AS PERPETUAL MOTION MACHINE!"

THIS THIS THIS!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on August 18, 2011, 06:13:31 AM

What's TYT?

IME Libertarians are close to anarchists, but with different, equally unrealistic values.

That chick and dude in the Youtube link earlier.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 18, 2011, 05:56:07 AM
everyone is gleefully thinking about how Mr. Thiel's Island is going to burn to the seafloor in a spectacular failure of radical libertarian foolishness....
but.
all i've seen is that he's donated 1.25M to the seasteading institue, which specifically says on their website that they aren't going to be building any islands themselves.  they just do studies, etc.
so...

Come on Ippy, you've been here longer than I and you know that when ANY libertarian idea is discussed, no matter WHAT, it's met with :lulzlibertardians: are teh lail.

That's an unfair generalization.  I personally don't rip on libertarians at every opportunity.

Because it's sort've like laughing at the retarded kid who can't operate the swing set.

:lulz: I learned that I wasn't really a Libertarian when I was 23, living in Oakland, working a phone sex line for a living. I thought Libertarianism sounded cool, but after being paid $60/hr to argue with a shit-ton of sex-starved Libertarians on the phone, it didn't make much sense anymore.

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on August 18, 2011, 06:21:01 AM
but.
so...

:lulz: I learned that I wasn't really a Libertarian when I was 23, living in Oakland, working a phone sex line for a living. I thought Libertarianism sounded cool, but after being paid $60/hr to argue with a shit-ton of sex-starved Libertarians on the phone, it didn't make much sense anymore.

Who calls a sex line to argue politics?  Or did it just get there accidentally?  :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on August 18, 2011, 06:19:09 AM

What's TYT?

I think they're only on the radar for leftists. I had no idea who they were.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on August 18, 2011, 06:22:39 AM
Quote from: Nigel on August 18, 2011, 06:21:01 AM
but.
so...

Who calls a sex line to argue politics?  Or did it just get there accidentally?  :lulz:

Libertarians can't help it. Also, I specialized. You would be surprised how many people will pay for that.

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on August 18, 2011, 06:22:40 AM
Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on August 18, 2011, 06:19:09 AM

What's TYT?

I think they're only on the radar for leftists. I had no idea who they were.

Me either, I just remember the sign they had up behind them.  They're funny, though, I thought.

QuoteLibertarians can't help it.

:lulz:

Scribbly

This is too amazing to ignore.

Thanks guys! I've sent this around to the people I'm working for - going to try and sell them on the idea of doing a feature extolling the virtues of seasteading as the next step in locations innovation. What better tax haven than a place you've built from the ground up!  :lulz:

Definitely want to do my part to make this a reality, and since the people I'm working for are all about attracting investment, why not?
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on August 18, 2011, 04:23:55 AM
Quote from: Nph. Twid. on August 18, 2011, 04:18:11 AM
Its also lately turned social freedom into meaning freedom from all of those dark skinned gay non christian liberals and their demands of equality. Libertarian usually means "i dont want to admit that im a far right republican" these days.

Who was it that said that libertarians are white single twenty somethings living off a trust fund and living in starbucks?
Because this in my experience is true more often than not.

:wave:
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

but.
so...

:lulz:

Certainly is a lot of generalizing going on ITT, that's for damn sure.

Pots, Kettles, Ravens and Crows.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann