News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

Punk as fuck!

Started by BadBeast, August 30, 2011, 06:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Phox on August 31, 2011, 11:37:44 PM
I submit to this list of punk: NOFX. Yea or nay, ye unwashed heathens?

NAY
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

I'll give it a qualified yes.

Dimocritus

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 01, 2011, 04:44:15 PM

Only the stuff they recorded before "So Long and Thanks for all the Shoes." Everything else after that is pandering to 14 year old emo kids (except for "The Decline," which was really good, because it's a rip-off of Crass' "Yes Sir, I Will." Hell, they even stole the Crass font like everyone else).

Also, fuck this entire thread.

Yeah, that's right, I said fuck it. Punk is one of those things that in order to "get it" you must deny it. And if you deny it, you don't get it, dig? There is no punk just like there is no spoon. The word is not the way, and certainly neither is the fashion. The first and the last TRUE punk band was Crass, when they proclaimed that "Punk is Dead" mere moments after it was born. Because they knew that punk is what it wasn't expected to be, and to carry on beleiving yourself to be punk just makes you not punk (because you're expecting it).

Also, punk is not a fashion (why do you think I abuse my bass player so bad? Because he dresses like a damn fool). Punk isn't even a musical style. It's a bold fuck you directly to the face. It's taking your toys and going home simply to spite you. It's an unexpected punch to the back of the head that you are actually thankful for, because that's what you needed to clear your vision. It's not saying sorry, not because you're a cool bad-ass, but because YOU'RE REALLY NOT SORRY AND COULD GIVE A FUCK LESS WHO KNOWS IT!

Fuck punk.

It would do the same to you.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Punk rock is one of those things that only really existed within a certain cultural context, and since that context no longer exists, punk rock no longer exists. There is no punk movement. There could be said to be a post-punk movement, but frankly it mostly makes me see 20-something poseurs and aging 40-somethings in denial of the fact that they're no longer on the cutting edge of cultural relevance. 40-somethings who, I might add, MISSED PUNK ROCK BY A DECADE but decided to try to be punk anyway, with the help of stores like London Underground that thrived on selling Doc Martens, spiked collars, and black leggings. No, Junior, the Pixies were not punk rock, nor did they ever try to look it, WHAT ARE YOU DOING.

Seriously, at the Alleyway last week on Punk Night, watching some 22-year-olds in black tatters and spikes, looking way more Smiths than punk, doing a cover of Gouge Away. YOU ARE SHITTING ME, RIGHT???
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Yeah, but was it a good cover version?  That song is awesome.

AFK

Concidentally, maybe, the Sonic Youth documentary/movie "1991: The Year Punk Broke" is (finally) being released on DVD in the coming weeks.  That movie was punk as fuck.  Well, maybe not the part with Courtney Love, but the rest of it was. 

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 01, 2011, 06:19:06 PM
Yeah, but was it a good cover version?  That song is awesome.

They were trying to perform it as a punk anthem, so no, not really.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Phox

Quote from: Dimocritus on September 01, 2011, 05:15:18 PM

Only the stuff they recorded before "So Long and Thanks for all the Shoes." Everything else after that is pandering to 14 year old emo kids (except for "The Decline," which was really good, because it's a rip-off of Crass' "Yes Sir, I Will." Hell, they even stole the Crass font like everyone else).

Also, fuck this entire thread.

Yeah, that's right, I said fuck it. Punk is one of those things that in order to "get it" you must deny it. And if you deny it, you don't get it, dig? There is no punk just like there is no spoon. The word is not the way, and certainly neither is the fashion. The first and the last TRUE punk band was Crass, when they proclaimed that "Punk is Dead" mere moments after it was born. Because they knew that punk is what it wasn't expected to be, and to carry on beleiving yourself to be punk just makes you not punk (because you're expecting it).

Also, punk is not a fashion (why do you think I abuse my bass player so bad? Because he dresses like a damn fool). Punk isn't even a musical style. It's a bold fuck you directly to the face. It's taking your toys and going home simply to spite you. It's an unexpected punch to the back of the head that you are actually thankful for, because that's what you needed to clear your vision. It's not saying sorry, not because you're a cool bad-ass, but because YOU'RE REALLY NOT SORRY AND COULD GIVE A FUCK LESS WHO KNOWS IT!

Fuck punk.

It would do the same to you.
Dimo wins.  :lulz:

(In regards to your comments on NOFX, I agree completely. That was why I was rather ambivalent about.)

I would be interested to hear your qualifications.

Dimocritus

Quote from: Doktor Phox on September 02, 2011, 01:41:01 AM

Well, hells bells. I aint never wun nuthin on the internets befo'

I hope it's better than that time I was the 10,000th visitor to that website. My computer crashed before I could redeem my prize...

Phox

Quote from: Dimocritus on September 02, 2011, 02:45:02 AM

I hope it's better than that time I was the 10,000th visitor to that website. My computer crashed before I could redeem my prize...
Like EoC, you will now be integrated into my pantheon of Internet gods.

Sacrifices are offered daily at 5:30 am real time (NOT that crazy Tuscon time that Dok made up, but REAL time).

Dimocritus

Quote from: Doktor Phox on September 02, 2011, 02:57:08 AM
Quote from: Dimocritus on September 02, 2011, 02:45:02 AM

Like EoC, you will now be integrated into my pantheon of Internet gods.

Sacrifices are offered daily at 5:30 am real time (NOT that crazy Tuscon time that Dok made up, but REAL time).

Jeez, I guess today is full of firsts. I've never been in a pantheon before. I always felt that my presence alone would drop the property value.

Eater of Clowns

Tuesdays are pants optional cocktail nights and once a week we have a bridge match with the other pantheons in the league.

Heimdallr is particularly good at it.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 02, 2011, 03:37:36 AM
Tuesdays are pants optional cocktail nights

BUT THE REST OF THE WEEK YOU KEEP YOUR PANTY-ON !!!!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

I would be interested to hear your qualifications.

Pretty much what Dimo said.  Punk in Drublic and Heavy Petting Zoo are solid albums, and you just can't go wrong with a song called "We Threw Gasoline On The Fire And Now We Have Stumps For Arms And No Eyebrows".

But they should have packed it in a few years back.