News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

Ron Paul

Started by Luna, September 14, 2011, 10:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on September 15, 2011, 05:56:47 AM
You could have switched "She's a witch." and "Burn her!" with the above Q&A and the mentality would have been no different.

heh, you're totally right.

I'm reading this book right now about the history of torture. (Richter's fault that I found it, btw)... one of the points they repeatedly make in the book is that in the history of public executions, it's often not the case that the leaders were these twisted sadistic fucks... it's that the CROWDS demanded the worst possible punishments for lawbreakers.

If a magistrate was seen as being too light on crime, it was very possible for the unruly mob to turn on him. The pillory, the breaking wheel, the ducking stool ... these weren't purely a tool of fear to keep the commoners from rising up. They were used to slake the public's demands for torture and death.

So having read that, I get quite a chill watching all these people cheering for the death penalty...

Luna

People, and I mean mobs, not always individuals, are sick, sadistic fucks. 

Watch a pack of second graders torment a nerdy kid, you'll see it.  People don't grow out of it.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Western civilization is a monstrous cannibal. It lacks even the humanity of the Aztecs, who at least had the grace to formally ritualize their bloodlust.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jenne

Quote from: Cramulus on September 19, 2011, 02:59:21 PM
Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on September 15, 2011, 05:56:47 AM
You could have switched "She's a witch." and "Burn her!" with the above Q&A and the mentality would have been no different.

heh, you're totally right.

I'm reading this book right now about the history of torture. (Richter's fault that I found it, btw)... one of the points they repeatedly make in the book is that in the history of public executions, it's often not the case that the leaders were these twisted sadistic fucks... it's that the CROWDS demanded the worst possible punishments for lawbreakers.

If a magistrate was seen as being too light on crime, it was very possible for the unruly mob to turn on him. The pillory, the breaking wheel, the ducking stool ... these weren't purely a tool of fear to keep the commoners from rising up. They were used to slake the public's demands for torture and death.

So having read that, I get quite a chill watching all these people cheering for the death penalty...

Please to be sharing, Cram, the name/author of this book?

Cramulus

The Big Book of Pain: Torture & Punishment Through History
by Mark P. Donnelly, Daniel Diehl

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Pain-Torture-Punishment/dp/0752459473/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316460826&sr=8-1

Richter actually knows the author.

It's 100% nightmare fuel. You read this book for the same reason you go see a horror movie. It's like the necronomicon of my coffee table... everybody that picks it up reels back in horror.

Jenne

Quote from: Cramulus on September 19, 2011, 08:35:21 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Pain-Torture-Punishment/dp/0752459473/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316460826&sr=8-1

It's 100% nightmare fuel. You read this book for the same reason you go see a horror movie. It's like the necronomicon of my coffee table... everybody that picks it up reels back in horror.

TY TY.  I read the Stiff book for the same reason. 

Luna

Quote from: Cramulus on September 19, 2011, 08:35:21 PM

I've got a slew of pictures of the guy up on my FB page, he gave a talk on the History of the Sword at the Steampunk World's Faire that was absolutely fascinating.  He had an actual period, historical rapier there that he showed us...  He grounded the tip on the pavement and BENT it to show that the flex was still good, I think they heard Richter and I both shit ourselves five rows back.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Suu

Quote from: Cain on September 15, 2011, 09:02:33 AM
On the one hand, it is hard to feel sorry for someone who had the financial means to pay for health insurance and did not.  That is a little different than someone not being able to afford it, or being denied it due to "pre-existing conditions".

On the other hand, my exact reaction to such a person dying would be closer to "needless and easily prevented tragedy" than "fuck yeah, someone's gonna DIE!"

I think the proctor did a piss poor job and the question should have been asked differently.

Obviously, if you could have afforded and was offered insurance through your employer and denied it, well, imo, that's your own fucking fault. But what SHOULD have been asked was a struggling single parent who's working 2 full time jobs at a retail establishment that doesn't offer healthcare. You gotta yank the heartstrings correctly.

...I still don't like Ron Paul, but I think that he got confused on that one. The crowd, on the other hand, has no fucking excuse for their behavior.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Luna

Quote from: Suu on September 21, 2011, 10:32:21 PM

...I still don't like Ron Paul, but I think that he got confused on that one. The crowd, on the other hand, has no fucking excuse for their behavior.

However, despite the fact that this shit made headlines, I've not seen anything from Ron Paul's office saying SHIT about the people in the crowd cheering the (hypothetical) death.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Luna on September 21, 2011, 10:52:52 PM

However, despite the fact that this shit made headlines, I've not seen anything from Ron Paul's office saying SHIT about the people in the crowd cheering the (hypothetical) death.

And that is a deliberate statement.
Molon Lube

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

I'm cheering for the execution of Lawrence Russell Brewer, one of the three white supremists who dragged James Byrd Jr. to death.

:banana: <- That's me.

I just wish it was done with one of those old-fangled nasty contraptions rather than lethal injection.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on September 15, 2011, 09:02:33 AM
On the one hand, it is hard to feel sorry for someone who had the financial means to pay for health insurance and did not.  That is a little different than someone not being able to afford it, or being denied it due to "pre-existing conditions".

On the other hand, my exact reaction to such a person dying would be closer to "needless and easily prevented tragedy" than "fuck yeah, someone's gonna DIE!"

I think the proctor did a piss poor job and the question should have been asked differently.

Obviously, if you could have afforded and was offered insurance through your employer and denied it, well, imo, that's your own fucking fault. But what SHOULD have been asked was a struggling single parent who's working 2 full time jobs at a retail establishment that doesn't offer healthcare. You gotta yank the heartstrings correctly.

I don't think he was confused at all.  I think he meant exactly what he said.

Ron Paul is an evil old racist bastard of a constitution-fucker that should be strapped across a cannon.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Net on September 21, 2011, 10:55:34 PM

I'm cheering for the execution of Lawrence Russell Brewer, one of the three white supremists who dragged James Byrd Jr. to death.

:banana: <- That's me.

I just wish it was done with one of those old-fangled nasty contraptions rather than lethal injection.

Yes, emotionally-driven things like this are the best way to run a nation.
Molon Lube

Cain

And its between him, Huntsman and Romney as to which Republican has most regular contact with reality.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on September 21, 2011, 10:57:37 PM
And its between him, Huntsman and Romney as to which Republican has most regular contact with reality.

I'm gonna say Romney.

Who is also LEAST likely to get the nomination.  Because our Overton Window is now centered on "Barking Fucking Mad".
Molon Lube