News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

99.8% of the poor still have both of their kidneys.

Clearly, they don't want to be rich, on the extremely lucrative organ black market.  They just aren't trying hard enough

Jenne

:lulz:

You know it's funny.  I hear Teabaggin types talking up one streak and down another that it's those "damned welfare mothers" (!) and all their ilk that are ruining the cuntry.

Oh fuck off, already.  At least a quarter of the fucking Teabagger Nayshun is ON assistance of one kind or another--just by virtue of their fucking demographics. So diaf, assholes.  A fucking refrigerator does NOT a rich boy make.

As for Wall Street not giving a fuck...that's par for the course.  The protestors chose a target that really couldn't give a flying finger about their issues.  I know the media loves it, but Wall Street is only amused and feeling entitled.

But I still say I like them doing SOMEthing rather than NOTHING.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Juana

There's an Occupy here, which I kind of want to go to. Tomorrow and Thursday are occupying the federal building (3:30-5:30, iirc) and Friday and Saturday are our big strip mall-y thing (early afternoon). I'm not sure what there is to occupy there, except maybe the movie theater. Not sure if I will yet.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

I'm going to declare an Occupy my PANCE day in London.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Jenne on October 05, 2011, 09:11:04 PM
:lulz:

You know it's funny.  I hear Teabaggin types talking up one streak and down another that it's those "damned welfare mothers" (!) and all their ilk that are ruining the cuntry.

Oh fuck off, already.  At least a quarter of the fucking Teabagger Nayshun is ON assistance of one kind or another--just by virtue of their fucking demographics. So diaf, assholes.  A fucking refrigerator does NOT a rich boy make.

As for Wall Street not giving a fuck...that's par for the course.  The protestors chose a target that really couldn't give a flying finger about their issues.  I know the media loves it, but Wall Street is only amused and feeling entitled.

But I still say I like them doing SOMEthing rather than NOTHING.

If the protestors were engaging in actual occupying and systemic disruption wall street would definitely give a fuck.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Juana

Quote from: Cain on October 05, 2011, 09:51:16 PM
I'm going to declare an Occupy my PANCE day in London.
:lulz: I'm totally not expecting it to do anything, but at least I got off the couch, so to speak.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

From the Chicago protests:

Yeah, not helping your case there, guys.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 06, 2011, 12:24:20 AM
From the Chicago protests:

Yeah, not helping your case there, guys.

It's really just a matter of time, isn't it?

They WANT class warfare.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

It's not quite "let them eat cake", but it's not far off, either.

Triple Zero

or maybe there's more people that got the same idea as me, that what these protests need, is a bunch of loud pricks in business suits :lol:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 06, 2011, 12:27:43 AM
or maybe there's more people that got the same idea as me, that what these protests need, is a bunch of loud pricks in business suits :lol:

Oh HELL yes. Agent provocateurs can work for both sides.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

http://fabiusmaximus.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/29436/

Fabius suggests here that the OWS movement is going to go the way of the Tea Party, and get co-opted.  This may have already started, with the Unions getting in on the act.  There is, apparently a very savvy and organised core group handling the media aspects of the protest, which would be the perfect point to takeover from.

Because the protests are essentially low-investment, low risk activities, they pose little real threat to Wall Street on their own.  Which means the OWS would need to forge political alliances to push their agenda.  I'm sure a few "progressive" and "reformist" Democrats in the mould of Elizabeth Warren are already preparing to win some campaigns on the back of this.  And then, as always, do nothing once in office.

Thus, OWS becomes the Tea Party of the left (only probably less racist).

Precious Moments Zalgo

Called it :)

Quote from: Precious Moments Zalgo on October 03, 2011, 05:26:59 PM
Quote from: Nigel on October 02, 2011, 05:01:47 PM
Quote from: Cainad on October 02, 2011, 04:23:06 PM
I heard about this on the radio. I'm rather surprised that this is actually happening, and I am eagerly awaiting the tales of mass disruption.

QUICK, place your bets on how long it will be before the propaganda machine tries to connect the Occupiers to terrorism!

The moment they realize the problem is too large to ignore it, there will be accusations of terrorism, and also most likely some horrific violence which will be blamed on the Occupiers. I predict a bombing. This will be used to "justify" extreme police violence against the Occupiers.
I think what will happen if it starts to get too large, and I'm already seeing signs of this, is the movement will be co-opted and neutered by mainstream establishment Democrats.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Telarus

Quote from: Cain on October 06, 2011, 02:41:13 AM
http://fabiusmaximus.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/29436/

Fabius suggests here that the OWS movement is going to go the way of the Tea Party, and get co-opted.  This may have already started, with the Unions getting in on the act.  There is, apparently a very savvy and organised core group handling the media aspects of the protest, which would be the perfect point to takeover from.

Because the protests are essentially low-investment, low risk activities, they pose little real threat to Wall Street on their own.  Which means the OWS would need to forge political alliances to push their agenda.  I'm sure a few "progressive" and "reformist" Democrats in the mould of Elizabeth Warren are already preparing to win some campaigns on the back of this.  And then, as always, do nothing once in office.

Thus, OWS becomes the Tea Party of the left (only probably less racist).

Quote from: Nigel on October 05, 2011, 09:15:48 PM
That was fascinating, and I may be a bad man because my first thought was "Ooooh, how can I use this to my our advantage?"
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!