News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rev

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

I think the Occupy Movement is starting to frighten them.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 17, 2011, 06:53:57 PM
NYPD leaves big assed Marine the hell alone.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2011/10/17/us-marine-stands-up-to-the-nypd-at-occupy-wall-street-protests/

Sharing this on FB.  The look on those officer's faces is almost as awesome as the rage in his voice!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Rev

THIS MAY BE HOW TO FIX CONGRESS... WITH ENOUGH PUBLIC PRESSURE.

Warren Buffett, in an interview with CNBC said this about the debt ceiling: We can end the deficit in 5 minutes... all we have to do is "pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election."

The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! WHY? THE PEOPLE DEMANDED IT and that was in 1971 way before computers... email... cells phones... twitter... etc.

Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took one (1) year or less to become the law of the land - ALL BECAUSE OF PUBLIC PRESSURE.

PLEASE CONSIDER DEMANDING THESE CHANGES... AND PLEASE SHARE

CONGRESSIONAL REFORM ACT OF 2011

1) No Tenure / No Pension.
A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.

2) Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people.
It may not be used for any other purpose.

3) Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4) Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise.
Congressional pay will rise by CPI or 3%, whichever is lower.

5) Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6) Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7) All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 1/1/12.
The American people did not make these contracts with Congressmen/women;
Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves.
Serving in Congress is an honor, it should not be a career.
The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work - our Presidents do.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Good-Day...4517013262

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 18, 2011, 05:35:55 PM

Warren Buffett, in an interview with CNBC said this about the debt ceiling: We can end the deficit in 5 minutes... all we have to do is "pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election."

The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! WHY? THE PEOPLE DEMANDED IT and that was in 1971 way before computers... email... cells phones... twitter... etc.

Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took one (1) year or less to become the law of the land - ALL BECAUSE OF PUBLIC PRESSURE.

A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people.

5) Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

7) All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 1/1/12.
The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work - our Presidents do.

Seems irrelevant, tbh.  I wouldn't be completely against some kind of reasonable term limit for congressmen, but that's a (mostly) unrelated issue.  Making being a senator pay less just makes it even harder for people who aren't independently wealthy in the first place to run.  The problem isn't that congressmen have money, but that people with money have congressmen.

IIRC, the Roman senators were expected to serve more for honor than for money, and they developed some of the most blatantly corrupt practices ever (literally selling the taxpayer to the highest lowest bidder, and then bailing out the people who over-bid.)  See: Publicani.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Don Coyote

On a different note

Quote from: OccupySeattleDon't Need:

Tarps
   Plastic sheeting
   Toilet Paper
   Mustard
   Peanut butter
   Bread
   Styrofoam plates

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Donald Coyote on October 19, 2011, 04:36:30 AM
On a different note

Tarps
   Plastic sheeting
   Toilet Paper
   Mustard
   Peanut butter
   Bread
   Styrofoam plates

I don't know why that's so fucking funny, but it is.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Occupy Seattle cuts the mustard.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

I have befriended an Occupy Portland protester who is hooking me up with access to a screen printing studio. I also fist-bumped a Communist and voted in the General Assembly.

On the way back from Occupy Portland headquarters a member of our group stopped to literally piss on a bank. I thought it was quite civilly disobedient of him.

Here's a shot of the main encampment some time last week, late at night:

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nigel on October 19, 2011, 04:44:33 AM
Quote from: Donald Coyote on October 19, 2011, 04:36:30 AM
On a different note

Tarps
   Plastic sheeting
   Toilet Paper
   Mustard
   Peanut butter
   Bread
   Styrofoam plates

I don't know why that's so fucking funny, but it is.

Next pay day I am having several jars of mustard sent to them.

And then a few packages of boot socks. They need warm socks.

Laughin Jude

The Portland GA is pretty much mired in bureaucracy and feel-good hippie bullshit where everyone is included (except when they're not), all points of view are considered (except when they're not), the process is always open to reinterpretation and refinement (except when it's not) and nothing really seems to ever get done. It's just Congress all over again and pretty much worthless.

The committees are the ones keeping it going; them, and just random awesome people doing shit on their own. But yeah, the GA system seems horribly, laughably broken here from what I've seen the past week.
Laughin Jude.com - Philosophy, snark, weird stories and bad art

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension

Pæs

Occupy Wellington is a small collection of barefooted hippiemutants exchanging buzzwords.

"Oligarchy peak oil, Orwell?"

"Mm," followed by a bunch of approving nods, "Capitalism bankers recession conspiracy. ELECTRIC CARS. Right?"

"DUDE, YOU TOTALLY GET IT. WANNA HEAR THE TWO GUITAR CHORDS I KNOW?"

Triple Zero

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on October 18, 2011, 11:14:28 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on October 18, 2011, 05:35:55 PM

Seems irrelevant, tbh.  I wouldn't be completely against some kind of reasonable term limit for congressmen, but that's a (mostly) unrelated issue.  Making being a senator pay less just makes it even harder for people who aren't independently wealthy in the first place to run.  The problem isn't that congressmen have money, but that people with money have congressmen.

IIRC, the Roman senators were expected to serve more for honor than for money, and they developed some of the most blatantly corrupt practices ever (literally selling the taxpayer to the highest lowest bidder, and then bailing out the people who over-bid.)  See: Publicani.

TURNS OUT THEY'RE GOING TO DO IT TOO:::

http://blog.dutiee.com/robinhood-tax-bill-gates-warren-buffet-and-millions-worldwide-plan-worlds-biggest-bank-job/
Robin Hood Tax: Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and Millions Worldwide Plan the World's Biggest Bank Job

:? :? :? :? :?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Technically that is called a Tobin Tax, and I've supported something like that for a while now.  It is very small, as you can see (0.05%) yet the additional revenue raised from it is quite extensive, and would go a long way to solving spending issues and paying off sovereign debt.

Luna

Except, of course, the banks are already gearing up to pass the tax on to their customers, I'm sure.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."