News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: PopeTom on November 22, 2011, 05:53:40 PM
Just remember if you are going to wear a tie to a protest make sure it's a clip on.

This is very good advice.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

MONKEYS.  I HATE THEM.

Kai

Upon reconsidering, although I dislike the elitist attitude against so called hippies, the Occupy protesters are claiming to represent hundreds of millions of people, and not just a subset. To engage in "hippy culture" and have that be the main thing the rest of the country is seeing /is/ alienating to people who aren't part of that subset. And I guess it just is common courtesy to keep a neat and well groomed appearance with clean and current attire, whether I be protesting or working. While a suit doesn't seem necessary to me, at least not clothing that would endorse only hippy culture and alienate the rest. And I'm sorry for the sarcastic comments and suggestion you were a douche, Net.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cain

This is reality, taking the piss

http://crookedtimber.org/2011/11/22/athens-polytechnic-comes-to-uc-davis/

QuoteA Greek friend has sent me lots of information on links between the suppression of dissent at UC Davis and similar events in Greece from the days of the military junta to the present. Here's a video commemorating the 1973 uprising centred on Athens Polytechnic, which led to the downfall of the military junta the following year[1]. the last title says "The Polytechneio lives on. In struggles today." Link

Among the legacies of the uprising was a university asylum law that restricted the ability of police to enter university campuses. University asylum was abolished a few months ago, as part of a process aimed at suppressing anti-austerity demonstrations. The abolition law was based on the recommendatiions of an expert committee, which reported a few months ago (report here, in Greek). There's an English translation here, but it doesn't work well for me.

Fortunately, my friend has translated the key recommendations

QuoteUniversity campuses are unsafe. While the [Greek] Constitution permits the university leadership to protect campuses from elements inciting political instability, Rectors have shown themselves unwilling to exercise these rights and fulfill their responsibilities, and to take the decisions needed in order to guarantee the safety of the faculty, staff, and students. As a result, the university administration and teaching staff have not proven themselves good stewards of the facilities with which society has entrusted them.

The politicizing of universities – and in particular, of students – represents participation in the political process that exceeds the bounds of logic. This contributes to the rapid deterioration of tertiary education.

Among the authors of this report – Chancellor Linda Katehi, UC Davis. And, to add to the irony, Katehi was a student at Athens Polytechnic in 1973.

LMNO

What's wonderful is how this might never have been made known, if not for the Internet.

LMNO

Poe's Law wins again.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/11/fox-news-on-uc-davis-pepper-spraying-its-a-food-product-essentially.php?ref=fpblg
"Pepper spray, that just burns your eyes, right?" O'Reilly asked Kelly.

"Right," Kelly said. "I mean, its like a derivative of actual pepper. It's a food product, essentially."

Phox

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on November 22, 2011, 05:03:04 PM
Quote from: Doktor Murderbitch Deezy Mac C on November 22, 2011, 04:05:04 PM
Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on November 22, 2011, 03:48:12 PM
Trip and LMNO covered most of what I was gonna say in regards to Net's idea and Kai's reaction to it, but I gotta ask...

Quote from: Doktor Murderbitch Deezy Mac C on November 22, 2011, 08:58:09 AM
Quote from: Net on November 22, 2011, 08:45:17 AM
Plus, it makes a good impression on the ladies.
Oops. You were doing okay, up until that line.

And besides, dressing up to go down to the protest isn't "telling the truth". Not even a very good metaphor. Show up in regular clothes. Whatever you were wearing that day. That is the truth. Anything else is putting up a front.

What the hell is this about? First of all, what's wrong with wanting to look good to people whom you want to find you attractive? And do you really think that dressing like a bum when you go to a protest somehow provides more credibility or makes a more powerful and inclusive statement?

That's fucking idiotic.
No, I'm not saying that he is doing anything wrong by dressing up. I'm just saying that his analogy doesn't work because he is deliberately constructing an image to counter the common perception. Which isn't necessarily "telling the truth". And there's nothing wrong with trying to look good to people whom you find attractive, but he ulterior motive undermines the analogy.

I agree with what he and LMNO have been saying for the most part.

"telling the truth" or "presenting an honest narrative" or any of that crap is, well, crap.

Does the OWS movement want to win or not?
Oh, we are in agreement there. I was merely taking issue with Net's analogy.

And upon further reflection, Net, I realized I was misreading your intent with the line I singled out. It's a perk to dressing not, not an ulterior motive. Sorry about that. But I still think your analogy isn't quite right, but as we are all in agreement, I believe that point is moot.  Carry on.

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 22, 2011, 07:17:12 PM
Poe's Law wins again.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/11/fox-news-on-uc-davis-pepper-spraying-its-a-food-product-essentially.php?ref=fpblg

"Right," Kelly said. "I mean, its like a derivative of actual pepper. It's a food product, essentially."

:lulz: Oh, Bill O'Reilly. Please continue to supply us with the horrorlulz.

BabylonHoruv

Poe's Law wins again.

peppers, as in red peppers, not pepper as in black pepper.  black pepper in your eyes is annoying, habanero in your eye is holyfuckingshit ouch.

You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Elder Iptuous

Poe's Law wins again.

perhaps someone in the food service industry will garnish her dish with the delicacy sometime soon?

Cain

"Of course, what people forget is hydrochloric acid is in your stomach, and breaks down food.  It's essentially like spraying protestors with spit."

Phox

Quote from: Cain on November 22, 2011, 07:37:54 PM
"Of course, what people forget is hydrochloric acid is in your stomach, and breaks down food.  It's essentially like spraying protestors with spit."
FATALITY. LIU CAIN WINS.  :lulz: :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on November 22, 2011, 07:30:42 PM
Poe's Law wins again.

peppers, as in red peppers, not pepper as in black pepper.  black pepper in your eyes is annoying, habanero in your eye is holyfuckingshit ouch.

Oh, we didn't know that, thanks for the information.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

http://www.tinyrevolution.com/mt/archives/003575.html

QuoteHere's something I've been unsuccessfully trying to get people in the media to point out:

Josh Stearns has been making a list of all the reporters arrested while covering various Occupy events across the country. There are currently 26 people on it.

A few days ago Michael Bloomberg's spokesman Stu Loeser came across the list and sent out email saying this:

QuoteNot being familiar with many of the media outlets for which The Awl says these reporters work, I had the list of "26 arrested reporters" checked against the roster of reporters who hold valid NYPD press passes.

You can imagine my surprise when we found that only five of the 26 arrested reporters actually have valid NYPD-issued press credentials.
Now, this is bogus for a bunch of reasons, such as a) it's nearly impossible to get an NYPD press pass; b) police specifically prevented reporters who did have NYPD passes from getting anywhere near the Zuccotti Park eviction; c) as Loeser himself admits, even reporters with the magic credentials were arrested; and most importantly d) when exactly did America become a place where the government decides who gets to report the news?

But here's the funny thing that no one seems to have noticed: of the 26 reporters on the list, about ten of them (the list is unclear) were not in New York when they were arrested. That is, 40% of them were arrested in Boston, Oakland, and Nashville, etc. It seems a little much to require journalists in other cities to have NYPD press passes.

I don't know whether Stu Loeser was being slippery or just incredibly lazy. But either way, according to him, ALL REPORTERS EVERYWHERE ON EARTH must have NYPD press credentials or be subject to arrest at any time.

—Jonathan Schwarz

maphdet

Quote from: Cain on November 22, 2011, 06:46:56 PM
This is reality, taking the piss

http://crookedtimber.org/2011/11/22/athens-polytechnic-comes-to-uc-davis/

QuoteA Greek friend has sent me lots of information on links between the suppression of dissent at UC Davis and similar events in Greece from the days of the military junta to the present. Here's a video commemorating the 1973 uprising centred on Athens Polytechnic, which led to the downfall of the military junta the following year[1]. the last title says "The Polytechneio lives on. In struggles today." Link

Among the legacies of the uprising was a university asylum law that restricted the ability of police to enter university campuses. University asylum was abolished a few months ago, as part of a process aimed at suppressing anti-austerity demonstrations. The abolition law was based on the recommendatiions of an expert committee, which reported a few months ago (report here, in Greek). There's an English translation here, but it doesn't work well for me.

Fortunately, my friend has translated the key recommendations

QuoteUniversity campuses are unsafe. While the [Greek] Constitution permits the university leadership to protect campuses from elements inciting political instability, Rectors have shown themselves unwilling to exercise these rights and fulfill their responsibilities, and to take the decisions needed in order to guarantee the safety of the faculty, staff, and students. As a result, the university administration and teaching staff have not proven themselves good stewards of the facilities with which society has entrusted them.

The politicizing of universities – and in particular, of students – represents participation in the political process that exceeds the bounds of logic. This contributes to the rapid deterioration of tertiary education.

Among the authors of this report – Chancellor Linda Katehi, UC Davis. And, to add to the irony, Katehi was a student at Athens Polytechnic in 1973.

She freaking went to Polytechnic University
wtf.

*hangs head*

Thanks for the link Cain.

Could I re-post on fb if you don't mind?
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-