News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Measles Outbreak.

Started by Prince Glittersnatch III, October 24, 2011, 11:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epimetheus

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 27, 2011, 04:05:28 AM
You are still only addressing symptoms of a greater problem and not the solution.

Symptoms can also be problems, especially in a humongous web of cause and effect like our world.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

The Rev

Quote from: Epimetheus on October 27, 2011, 04:22:39 AM
Quote from: Charley Brown on October 27, 2011, 04:05:28 AM
You are still only addressing symptoms of a greater problem and not the solution.

Symptoms can also be problems, especially in a humongous web of cause and effect like our world.

*shrug*

Obviously I am wrong by being reasonable, therefore I back out of this thread.

The Good Reverend Roger

"One death is a tragedy.  A million deaths is a statistic."
- Uncle Joe "anything for a laugh" Stalin
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just don't buy into the "Other problems are worse, therefore people willfully spreading ant-vaccination propaganda isn't really a problem" argument.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Is there an official name for the fallacy of "criticism of A is invalid, because B is so much worse"?

Cain

Lord Cataplanga

Quote from: Cain on October 27, 2011, 02:20:15 PM
The two party system.
:lulz:
I think it's actually called "Nirvana falacy".

Jenne

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 27, 2011, 02:25:37 AM
Jesus fucking christ.  I had measles and mumps as a kid. It meant two weeks off school each time. BFD.

Methinks, my dear Hawk, you were one of the lucky ones. 

And all your points about educating the public at large so that they don't inbreed, know proper hygeine and nutrition, know when to take advantage of FREE health care (in a large number of cases, vaccinations are free for MMR)...so very very valid.

To me, this all dovetails together into the same issue.  Education.

Those refusing the vaccine are sort of like those who believe in a flat earth.  Nice little belief in isolation, but really, where does it put you on the spectrum of reality?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 27, 2011, 01:31:28 PM
Is there an official name for the fallacy of "criticism of A is invalid, because B is so much worse"?

Kai has coined the phrase Dawkins Fallacy for it, which I like, because he's kind of a douche.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on October 27, 2011, 03:09:19 PM

Kai has coined the phrase Dawkins Fallacy for it, which I like, because he's kind of a douche.

Excellent!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on October 27, 2011, 03:34:47 PM
Quote from: Nph. Twid. on October 27, 2011, 03:09:19 PM

Excellent!

I forget what thread it is, but it reflects his recent statements that basically tell western women to shut up about sexual harassment because Muslim women have it shittier because their Muslims.

Which is not only a retarded argument but also shows:
a) He's Islamophobic
b) Thinks sexually harassing women is acceptable
c) He's a douche

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

While looking up fallacies, I found this: http://richarddawkins.net/discussions/641922-the-wtf-fallacy-and-others

which reminded me of how much I hate atheists, because they are such pompous dicks. If I was World Empress, I would get anti-vaccers, rabid atheists, Anarchists, and Libertarians together in a big catered conference and not let anyone leave until they reached consensus.

Cain

Oxford Don has regressive and antiquated views on women shocker.

Not that I'm suggesting Dawkins' views are in any way to do with the time-honoured tradition of undergrad students sleeping with professors in order to get better grades, but I am suggesting just that.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on October 27, 2011, 03:47:10 PM
Oxford Don has regressive and antiquated views on women shocker.

Not that I'm suggesting Dawkins' views are in any way to do with the time-honoured tradition of undergrad students sleeping with professors in order to get better grades, but I am suggesting just that.

:lulz:

Also

:vom:

Quote from: Nigel on October 27, 2011, 03:45:08 PM
While looking up fallacies, I found this: http://richarddawkins.net/discussions/641922-the-wtf-fallacy-and-others

which reminded me of how much I hate atheists, because they are such pompous dicks. If I was World Empress, I would get anti-vaccers, rabid atheists, Anarchists, and Libertarians together in a big catered conference and not let anyone leave until they reached consensus.

That's the whole thing. Atheists have been around for ages. If someone back in the 1970s said they were an atheist, it would probably just be left at that, and you'd file it away as an interesting fact about that person. The New Atheists though, make it an identity. They let it define them, and they will let you know how retarded you are for believing in magical Sky-Daddy.

Ok, maybe. But you don't have to be a dick about it. And making a career out of it just makes you an Evangelist.

Cain

More to the point, telling people they are retarded for their beliefs doesn't actually shame them into thinking about it and perhaps abandoning their faith, if anything, it tends to make them more obstinate in their beliefs.

If you're looking to actually make people more secular and more rational in their daily lives, castigating them for being a dumb motherfucker isn't really going to work now, is it?