News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Discordian Weddings

Started by Danjanon, February 07, 2012, 02:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danjanon

Holy beans there's a lot to reply to here.

@LMNO, PhD: It's their 3rd wedding in two years and it's mostly to appease those in Australia who couldn't make the first two. As far as I know, it's going to be a very casual affair, which is why I'm officiating. But I fully agree with what you're saying. Breaking things kicks arse *nods*

@Triple Zero: Starting a war may be a little bit extreme as an introduction to Discordian for some of our friends and family, but Hell is it appropriate! I may do the snub-invites for my own wedding. No Hot Dogs check. Now that you've mentioned it, you're totally right that invoking a blessing from Eris is a bad idea. No one wants that on their head.

@Cromulus: That is fan-bloody-tastic! I am forwarding that to my fiance as we speak. I am now a Universal Life Church Monastry Minister :D

@The Good Reverend Roger: She's Hindu and open to all religions. I told her about Discordianism and she was genuinely interested.

@Luna: lol
I think that covers everything I wanted to reply to

Triple Zero

Quote from: Danjanon on February 08, 2012, 01:02:40 PM
@Triple Zero: Starting a war may be a little bit extreme as an introduction to Discordian for some of our friends and family, but Hell is it appropriate! I may do the snub-invites for my own wedding.

But also maybe not. I think Roger said it, a lot of it is for the bride and her mom. DONT under ANY circumstance snub that part of the family.

QuoteNow that you've mentioned it, you're totally right that invoking a blessing from Eris is a bad idea. No one wants that on their head.

Yeah. Check the "Surprise me, Eris" threads somewhere in these forums (use "Surprise me Eris" site:principiadiscordia.com in Google, should probably work)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

BadBeast

Have three Bridesmaids, who disgrace themselves by squabbling over some bauble or other. Make them fight it out in a big tub of lime green jelly. 
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

One of the great things about this religion is that you don't HAVE to be weird all the time.

There's also no fucking brand name here.  There is no "Discordian Wedding" or "Discordian Music" or any of that shit.  You do something because you LIKE it, not just to be deliberately weird.  The whole point of this garbage is THINK FOR YOURSELF, SCHMUCK, not "how can we show how zany we are?"

Odds are, a frivolous approach to a wedding will lead to a frivolous approach to a marriage, and that never fucking ends well. 

Just saying.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

@The Good Reverend Roger: She's Hindu and open to all religions. I told her about Discordianism and she was genuinely interested.

Yeah, great.  How about her mother?  If you think an affronted mother in law is not an issue, then you have another thing coming.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

El Sjaako

@LMNO, PhD: It's their 3rd wedding in two years and it's mostly to appease those in Australia who couldn't make the first two. As far as I know, it's going to be a very casual affair, which is why I'm officiating. But I fully agree with what you're saying. Breaking things kicks arse *nods*
So basically, no one is going to mind if it's a bit of a weird thing. In my experience Australians aren't that attached to traditions anyway, and it's the third ceremony (I assume with 0 divorces in between). So you can goof it up a bit.

Danjanon

Roger, you're absolutely right. Discordianism isn't all ha ha, hee hee; that's what I like about it. Behind all the zaniness there's a solid philophy which THINK FOR YOURSELF, SCHMUCK is an important part. When I started this thread I was kinda hoping for equal parts zany and thoughtful.

Luna

There's a time and a place for zany.  A wedding... not so much.  Screw up that day, and the bride, the bride's mother, SOMEBODY will want a large enough piece of your hide to make a toilet seat cove.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

navkat

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 07, 2012, 04:33:48 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on February 07, 2012, 04:13:56 PM
Discordian wedding story: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,31574.0.html

I agree. It's not a real Discordian wedding unless you arrange for an infant to CHOLERA SPRAY HOSE all over everybody.

Will you DISCORDIAN MARRY ME, Zilch? I promise there will be angry prairie dogs and no hot dog buns.

Cramulus

I don't know about this whole "If you don't take your wedding seriously, you're gonna fuck up your marriage" thing. Gina and John up there are still together. If my last GF and I had tied the knot, we wanted a silly ceremony like the Ginohn one. I think our parents would have understood.

Luna

Quote from: Cramulus on February 09, 2012, 02:15:55 PM
I don't know about this whole "If you don't take your wedding seriously, you're gonna fuck up your marriage" thing. Gina and John up there are still together. If my last GF and I had tied the knot, we wanted a silly ceremony like the Ginohn one. I think our parents would have understood.

Silliness because that's the bride and groom is one thing, that's fine.  Adding crazy for the sake of the officiant, on, "sure, add a touch if you want," is more iffy.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

BadBeast

If you ask me, the whole concept of marriage is "a bit iffy".
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

kingyak

Quote from: el sjaako on February 09, 2012, 12:32:23 AM
In my experience Australians aren't that attached to traditions anyway, and it's the third ceremony (I assume with 0 divorces in between). So you can goof it up a bit.

Difference between Australia and the South: In Kentucky, the third ceremony comes after two divorces, a few trial separations, countless domestic disputes, the resulting restraining orders, a couple of bar fights, several jail terms, and at least one child with a third party. Because you can't stop true love.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BadBeast on February 09, 2012, 06:39:57 PM
If you ask me, the whole concept of marriage is "a bit iffy".

Balls.