News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

News Stories Which Highlight the Structure of the System

Started by Telarus, February 16, 2012, 01:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Having worked retail for 13 years, I can tell you that the vast majority of people who are carrying counterfeit bills don't know it. Counterfeiting has become much harder since the 90's, but most people receiving them as change have no idea, and then proceed to try to buy their coffee or lunch with them. The police didn't even come to the store until later when it was convenient, let alone arrest them; they just got contact info and details about when/where they received the bill.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

Yeah, dude could have gotten striped search each time they moved him locations, and the Supreme Court just said they were fine with that. At this point you can be arrested for a $50 that 'looks funny', or for simply carrying more than $5k in cash around with you (they prefer to just arrest the money in those cases).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The system is definitely functioning as it was intended.

Just not as the authors of the Constitution intended.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

You mean "as a landed gentry ruling over a dispossessed mass without legal equality"?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on May 06, 2012, 04:37:48 PM
You mean "as a landed gentry ruling over a dispossessed mass without legal equality"?

Oh... maybe it IS functioning as the founding fathers intended.

Telarus

http://theamericanscholar.org/a-gathering-menace/

Afghanistan: A Gathering Menace, By Neil Shea.

QuoteI thought back to what an American Army sergeant had told me hours earlier.

"This is where I come to do fucked-up things."

His face had been clear and smooth, his smile almost shy. It was a statement of happy expectation, as though Afghanistan were a playground. He was the de facto leader of a platoon I will call Destroyer, and although he is a real person, not a composite, I have heard his words in many variations, from many American combat troops. But he and some of his men were the first I had met who seemed very near to committing the dumb and vicious acts that we call war crimes.

Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Telarus

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/01/16/936732/-Who-is-Buying-Up-American-Firearms-Dan-Quayle-Cerebrus

QuoteThe investingbusinessweek.com site has two search engines. At the top right you can search and find news articles. Below that there is a window named Stock Quotes. Here you will find an amazing, interactive search ability. I enjoy being able to see how many associations a Board Member has, as an example.

For instance, I became interested in Cerberus and Veritas Private Equity firms because they have been buying up components that could support a privately owned military power. Manufacturers of guns, bullets, uniforms, silencers, and an army. Veritas owns crowd control microwave equipment. Ouch!

What is most interesting, is the huge financing these two Private Equity Firms have received from Citi Bank, Bank of America, Barclays, and Deutsche to do so.

It seems that the smaller companies like gun makers Remington, Cobbs, H&R, Marlin, Dakota, and Bushmaker ran into some debt problems. Cerberus bought them all in the past four years. I have to wonder if the very same banks that helped Cerberus gobble up these companies on the cheap held the debt that made these gun manufactures vulnerable to a takeover.

Most interesting was Veritas Capital's sale of DynCorp to Cerberus Management Capital.

It's a Billion dollar deal.
Telarus, KSC,

Cain

Because someone has to point it out:

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Cerberus

QuoteCerberus is a human-survivalist paramilitary group led by the enigmatic Illusive Man. Cerberus' core belief is that humans deserve a greater role in the galactic community, and that the Systems Alliance is too hamstrung by law and public opinion to stand up effectively to the Citadel races. Any methods of advancing humanity's ascension are justified, including illegal or dangerous experimentation, terrorist activities, sabotage and assassination. Cerberus operatives accept that these methods are brutal, but believe history will vindicate them. Nevertheless, both the Systems Alliance and the Citadel Council have declared Cerberus to be a terrorist organization and will prosecute identified Cerberus agents accordingly.

[...]

Cerberus has wealthy sympathizers within the Alliance military-industrial complex, who contribute credits and resources to Cerberus, and trust the Illusive Man to make the right decisions. Cerberus also owns several front corporations which further fund and support their operations. Spending trends indicate that Cerberus has a reliable income running up to several billion credits per year.

Telarus

:lulz:  :argh!:  :fnord:

Nice catch Cain. Hey, can I get your opinion on this 'weird' story (didn't post it in this thread as I'm not sure about a majority of the facts):

http://www.eutimes.net/2012/05/fbi-agent-fleeing-massive-manhunt-warns-theyre-all-insane/
Telarus, KSC,

Cain

Er...well, it's certainly odd.  There is an FBI agent called Ivens who matches the picture, who is currently missing and the FBI are searching for him.

The first link, to the Foreign Ministry, does not not actually lead to any such comment.  As such, the rest of the article falls apart, as we only have the word of a loony that such a report ever existed.

Triple Zero

:lulz: Nice one Cain, you had me for the first few sentences with the Cerberus quote before I noticed the link wasn't WP (still running uncaffeinated, for the moment)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Telarus

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/rcmp-ease-canadians-idea-u-agents-canada-201905380.html

RCMP 'to ease Canadians into the idea' of U.S. agents in Canada

QuoteUncle Sam could soon be coming after you on Canadian soil.
According to an article in Embassy Magazine, the Harper government is moving forward on several initiatives that could give U.S. FBI and DEA agents the ability to pursue suspects across the land border and into Canada.
But, according to a RCMP officer, they're doing it in "baby steps."
"We recognized early that this approach would raise concerns about sovereignty, of privacy, and civil liberties of Canadians," RCMP Chief Superintendent Joe Oliver, the Mounties' director general for border integrity, told the Senate Committee on National Security and Defence on May 14.
"We said 'Let's take baby steps, let's start with two agencies to test the concept, let's demonstrate to Canadians and Americans that such an approach might work."
Baby step 1, according to Embassy Magazine, has already happened in the form cross border pilot projects allowing Canadian and American agents in each others waters.
Step 2 is the 'Shiprider' program which will make it permanently legal for U.S. agents to be certified as police in Canadian waters.  This is on track to be passed into law by the Harper government's omnibus budget bill, C-38.
And step 3, is to roll out cross-border policing over land.
Embassy also notes that the government is not ruling out U.S. aerial surveillance over Canadian territory.
These initiatives are part of the much-touted perimeter security initiative between Washington and Ottawa, designed to provide a thicker wall of security around the continent while easing trade barriers at the borders.
Critics have bemoaned the loss of Canada's jurisdiction and sovereignty over the new policing measures but Canadian officials insist it's needed.
"Criminals are exploiting the fact that we have to respect our boundaries and we have to stop at the border," Oliver said.
"We've had instances where we've engaged in the attempts to interdict vessels in our shared waterways, and the vessel has fled into the other territory and has escaped apprehension."
Telarus, KSC,

Cain

Is there no principle of hot pursuit across the land border then?  I thought if you were right behind someone, you could cross into North Korea and the arrest would still be valid.  Of course, after the arrest things might get messy after that, but the essential principle is sound.

inode_buddha

Quote from: Cain on May 24, 2012, 12:38:06 PM
Is there no principle of hot pursuit across the land border then?  I thought if you were right behind someone, you could cross into North Korea and the arrest would still be valid.  Of course, after the arrest things might get messy after that, but the essential principle is sound.

Not necessarily. I share a border with Canada, its only a few minutes away. 2 great lakes and a river to be exact. Generally the respective services monitor each others radios and co-operate on their respective sides of the border. Basically doing favors for each other back and forth continually.
C|N>K

BabylonHoruv

You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl