News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

The Waiting Place

Started by Doktor Howl, February 23, 2012, 05:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 24, 2012, 08:44:23 PM
Quote from: Waffle Iron on February 24, 2012, 08:10:01 PM
Humm. I might do the Greyhound thing. I want to actually see stuff too. Besides I'm used to bus rides.

Not a 4000 Km bus ride.

And not in America.  Things happen on our busses, Waffle.  People go missing, or worse...But nobody ever talks about it, because the people that matter can afford the plane ride.

I'm... perplexed.
OK then. I'll fly.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Doktor Howl

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on February 24, 2012, 09:05:07 PM
Dok Howl -
As unpopular as this idea will be, it would work. As long as 'us vs them' presides, communication doesn't happen. I've found some real relationships build with people here when I've met them IRL, or talked with them over the phone, because there is no longer any guess as to whether they are a 'cheater', hiding behind a screen name. For me, anyway.

But for every you and I, Kai, there's someone being stalked by some shitknocker like Lumberjim.  Hell, that's happened to me (Tentasticle, etc), but I don't care.

But I'm not a single woman with three children in the house.  Or an older guy with limited mobility.

Fact is, most of the people involved in the usual business already have met in person and know each other's names.  Nothing short of face to face conversations would eliminate the anonymous effect.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Waffle Iron on February 24, 2012, 09:06:03 PM
Humm. I might do the Greyhound thing. I want to actually see stuff too. Besides I'm used to bus rides.

Not a 4000 Km bus ride.

And not in America.  Things happen on our busses, Waffle.  People go missing, or worse...But nobody ever talks about it, because the people that matter can afford the plane ride.

I'm... perplexed.
OK then. I'll fly.

You are perplexed because you live in a civilized society where something like a maniac shooting up a bunch of kids was completely unimaginable, before it happened.  Here, we have monsters everywhere.  Some of them are our police, and they're very polite, for a few minutes.

And some ride the busses or hang out down in Central Filth, looking for people who won't be missed.

It's not to say you SHOULDN'T take the bus.  Why not?  I personally occasionally do just that, to remind myself of all the damage cases and screaming lunatics that wander from coast to coast, for reasons that they can't seem to explain.

But it's a little bit MUCH, if you know what I mean, for your first exposure to Fat City.
Molon Lube

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 24, 2012, 09:12:09 PM

Not a 4000 Km bus ride.

I'm... perplexed.
OK then. I'll fly.

You are perplexed because you live in a civilized society where something like a maniac shooting up a bunch of kids was completely unimaginable, before it happened.  Here, we have monsters everywhere.  Some of them are our police, and they're very polite, for a few minutes.

And some ride the busses or hang out down in Central Filth, looking for people who won't be missed.

It's not to say you SHOULDN'T take the bus.  Why not?  I personally occasionally do just that, to remind myself of all the damage cases and screaming lunatics that wander from coast to coast, for reasons that they can't seem to explain.

But it's a little bit MUCH, if you know what I mean, for your first exposure to Fat City.

I see your point. And, I WOULD like to take the bus, actually, but after your posts on it, not by myself.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

[/b]

Nephew Twiddleton

A companion would be an excellent idea for that. Maybe two. If something bad happens to you theyll actually help you (which may or may not snap everyone else out of diffusion of responsibility)
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Waffle Iron on February 24, 2012, 09:13:30 PM
I see your point. And, I WOULD like to take the bus, actually, but after your posts on it, not by myself.

Oh, that's okay.  You're never alone on our busses.
Molon Lube

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 24, 2012, 09:19:52 PM

:horrormirth:

[/b]

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 24, 2012, 09:12:09 PM

Not a 4000 Km bus ride.

I'm... perplexed.
OK then. I'll fly.

Utilizing public transportation, especially busses are subways really are educational experiences when it comes to human sociology and psychology.  I know I felt very educated taking a DC subway after 8 pm on a Friday. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Nephew Twiddleton

... Waffle iron i think im in the process of formulating a womp story starring you.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Waffle Iron on February 24, 2012, 09:21:46 PM

Besides, that's 4 days killed, days that we could be showing you the glory of Tucson.  And bourbon.  Not the kind of bourbon You People would drink, over there where you can get beer that tastes like beer and booze that doesn't chew the enamel off of your teeth.  No.  Our bourbon.  Stuff that would make Humphrey Bogart cry, and make George Thorogood give up on the sauce.  And we shall drink in the company of branding freaks and tape worm perverts, and we shall call it Right & Good.

No, best to not waste any time. 
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: What's-His-Name? on February 24, 2012, 09:23:32 PM
Utilizing public transportation, especially busses are subways really are educational experiences when it comes to human sociology and psychology.  I know I felt very educated taking a DC subway after 8 pm on a Friday.

I once spent 20 hours riding the Tucson bus system, just to see how weird it could get.

It got pretty fucking weird.
Molon Lube

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 24, 2012, 09:25:08 PM

Besides, that's 4 days killed, days that we could be showing you the glory of Tucson.  And bourbon.  Not the kind of bourbon You People would drink, over there where you can get beer that tastes like beer and booze that doesn't chew the enamel off of your teeth.  No.  Our bourbon.  Stuff that would make Humphrey Bogart cry, and make George Thorogood give up on the sauce.  And we shall drink in the company of branding freaks and tape worm perverts, and we shall call it Right & Good.

I've tried Knob Creek. Does that count?

[/b]

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Waffle Iron on February 24, 2012, 09:49:57 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 24, 2012, 09:25:08 PM

I've tried Knob Creek. Does that count?

Wait & see.  No cheating.  Wait til you get here before you try it.
Molon Lube

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 24, 2012, 09:56:04 PM
Wait & see.  No cheating.  Wait til you get here before you try it.

I promise.

[/b]

CorbeauEtRenard

From my experience, it's not on the busses that is the problem, you're just in uncomfortably close proximity to a lot of people who don't know what iPods are because this is their first time on "the outside" since before mp3 players were a thing. It's weird and uncomfortable, but everyone feels weird and uncomfortable together.

It's the stations that are risky. One of my friends was in a bus station where a single hobo managed to make off with 5 or 6 tickets, 3 phones (which were replaced by dummies), a couple of wallets, and 4 US Marines' uniforms--while there were uniformed cops standing around at the doors.

But that's Dallas/Ft. Worth. Not everywhere is that bad, some are just full of workers who are sanity-blastingly incompetent.
Art is Dead! (If You Want It)