News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

Open letter. A few thoughts.

Started by BadBeast, March 07, 2012, 04:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Phox

Quote from: What's-His-Name? on March 08, 2012, 11:01:50 AM
Look, I kind of said this in the other thread, and I'll throw it out again here.  I can understand why BB might be a bit taken aback by what happened in that other thread.  I'm not talking about what did or didn't happen by way of the PMs from Eartha.  I'm talking about how BB was publicly linked and sucked into that issue. 

Let's put ourselves in those shoes for a minute.  "Holy fuck WHN, you have a crazy friend who sends creepy, nutso stuff via PMs!  What's up with that?"

Think about it. Why does that conversation need to happen in the public?  It would've been one thing if it was a general thread to everyone commenting on the nutso PMs.  That's completely different then publicly linking one person who seems to have an IRL friendship with the person.  For me, it starts going down the road of public shaming.  Or at least, I could see how the person named in the thread might feel that way.

And I'm sure that wasn't the intent of that thread title, but I think we have to think for a minute about how that might feel to us if we were in BB's position.  Then we might understand why BB feels the way he does.

Just my perspective on this.
Here's the thing though, WHN. It's not like it's the first time ED has done stuff like this. And on the other foot, you've got the fact that the person who is sending these PMs is sending harassing messages to multiple people, and refuses to post anything at all, whether defense statements, content, or more insults in a public manner. Now, granted I agree that BB might feel persecuted because of the original thread title, and I can totally understand how that could be construed as an attack, but on the other hand, I had a crazy friend here (anybody remember Death?), I expected my friend to defend herself. Of course, my friend was only spouting insane teabagger rhetoric, and getting the appropriate beat downs, which is a far cry off from what ED is and has done.

Cain

As an aside, we need more Teabaggers on PD.

AFK

Quote from: Doktor M. Phox0 on March 08, 2012, 01:36:28 PM
Now, granted I agree that BB might feel persecuted because of the original thread title, and I can totally understand how that could be construed as an attack, but on the other hand, I had a crazy friend here (anybody remember Death?), I expected my friend to defend herself. Of course, my friend was only spouting insane teabagger rhetoric, and getting the appropriate beat downs, which is a far cry off from what ED is and has done.

And the bolded is precisely the part I'm talking about.  I know little to nothing about the PMs, postings, and antics of ED.  What bothered me was the way BB got publicly linked to that drama.  I think a general discussion in public, addressed to everyone on the board, would've been completely fair game.  I think when it was focused on one person, who has a personal connection with ED, I think it probably went too far.  And still, that thread has language calling him a racist, which I think is going too far as well.

I just think BB deserves better than that. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

Wait, what?

Where did anyone call BB a racist?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

I just checked the other thread, because I was wondering the same thing.

I'm going to have to ask for a link, RWHN, because I don't see it.

AFK

Quote from: Nigel on March 06, 2012, 03:15:14 PM
Dude, your buddy Eartha is some kind of bugfuck lunatic, isn't she?  :lulz:  You should see the rambling, abusive PMs she's sending me... bragging about her degrees/certificates (TESOL? People brag about that? Really?) and her world travels. It's... kind of amusing, kind of sad, and completely bizarre.

Oh, and BadBeast is also a racist, misogynist twat with a two-by-four up his ass and a sense of humor from 1987. :)

Oh oh oh, also he is a poopy-bottom, and eats boogies.

(Edited for greater sensitivity)

Cain

Oh right, that.

Well, unjustified, sure.  But probably not unexpected after calling Nigel a "nasty cunt" and "snaggletoothed old bitch" and various other names.

I mean, I would like to mention that edit was made after BB went on a mad tirade against Nigel and Dok, and said tirade may have something to do with the response.

I'll concede it was unfair, as soon as BB concedes those insults were unfair and apologizes for them.

navkat

Name-calling is so 1987. Subtlety convincing someone that they're intrinsically damaged and everyone's laughing at them behind their back is where it's at.

Cain

Don't worry Navkat, we laugh in your face as well.

AFK

Fair enough, it would be optimal if cooler heads would prevail on either side of the equation. 

I just get an extra little twinge when I see someone being called a racist.  For my sensibilities, that's on a different level than calling each other assholes, and the like. 

Doktor Howl

Quote from: What's-His-Name? on March 08, 2012, 02:41:04 PM
Fair enough, it would be optimal if cooler heads would prevail on either side of the equation. 

I just get an extra little twinge when I see someone being called a racist.  For my sensibilities, that's on a different level than calling each other assholes, and the like.

Eartha and BB tried to hit as hard as they could, to upset Nigel and I as much as possible.

I see no different level here.  What I see is a nasty response to a nasty attack.  What I also see is that for some people, different standards are applied to different people.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on March 08, 2012, 01:52:00 PM
Wait, what?

Where did anyone call BB a racist?

After he went spazzy in the thread and referenced the fact that he was still butthurt over my "lolmisogyny" comment about his generic repost of someone else's unfunny joke, I changed the thread title to be more sensitive of his feelings, and edited the OP to say that he's racist, sexist, a poopybottom, and a boogie-eater. Oh, and has a sense of humor from 1987.

I hope it is extremely clear for everyone who lacks the razor-sharp intellect of RWHN that all of those are meant 100% literally and that I was in no way making fun of the situation.

Also, may I point out that there have been other "ATTN: hey dude your friend is crazy/an asshole/whatever" threads here before, and the difference is that nobody went whiny white-knight crybaby over it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on March 08, 2012, 02:15:44 PM
Oh right, that.

Well, unjustified, sure.  But probably not unexpected after calling Nigel a "nasty cunt" and "snaggletoothed old bitch" and various other names.

I mean, I would like to mention that edit was made after BB went on a mad tirade against Nigel and Dok, and said tirade may have something to do with the response.

I'll concede it was unfair, as soon as BB concedes those insults were unfair and apologizes for them.

Thanks, Cain.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 08, 2012, 03:29:06 PM
Quote from: What's-His-Name? on March 08, 2012, 02:41:04 PM

Eartha and BB tried to hit as hard as they could, to upset Nigel and I as much as possible.

I see no different level here.  What I see is a nasty response to a nasty attack.  What I also see is that for some people, different standards are applied to different people.

No.  I personally would have a problem with anyone who called anyone else a racist.  And I happen to think even in the heat of a nasty argument, calling someone a racist is just plain un-called for.  Is it un-called for to call someone a nasty bitch, cunt, whatever?  Absolutely.  I think BB was wrong for that.  I think Nigel was wrong for calling BB a racist.  And I think it was wrong to bring BB into this to begin with.  All kinds of wrong that would have easily been avoided if it was kept out of the public sphere.