News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

Two Important Questions

Started by NewSpag, April 25, 2012, 08:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewSpag

I see, I see.  I suppose that I probably did come off as a pinealist as that
Quote from: Nigel on April 27, 2012, 06:30:46 AM
Quote from: Insanity on April 27, 2012, 06:09:08 AM
Quote from: Nigel on April 27, 2012, 06:05:38 AM
Alright, that post was the most revealing of an actual person I've seen from you so far. I'm willing to reserve judgement until we've seen more of who you actually are.
At the risk of sounding like an asshat troll and having everyone hate me again might I ask why we can't ALWAYS try to reserve judgement on EVERYONE?  You never know what you might be missing out on.  I hope to be a testament to that.

Because, in a general sense, reserving judgement isn't very conducive to survival.
I see.  Well, survival is not my first priority.  I'll save the philosophies behind that statement (probably) for a rant.  Or not. 
Quote from: Nigel on April 27, 2012, 06:33:39 AM

I'm a first-year student, and I think there are a couple-few others here. I am also much older than you are so that gives me a different perspective on the process. But there are several younger people here as well, including one or maybe two teenagers.
Interesting.  Is anybody here from around the UCLA (whoops I dun gone given away my secret location) area?  As previously stated I've never met a Discordian in person.
QuoteOne day I realized life was pointless.  I've been celebrating ever since.
There's beauty in everything so lets destroy it all together.
Sometimes Always is Never.  For everything else there's Mastercard.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Insanity on April 27, 2012, 06:18:34 AM
Also now that we all seem to be on speaking terms I have some actual questions (no, no, no I promise I'm not trolling this time)

Someone mentioned blackironprison.com but that seems to be down.  I have a vague idea from context, but no more.

I've heard the term pinealist thrown around in reference to trolls in a seemingly derogatory way.  But the PD says that we communicate with Eris through our pineal.  Explain?

Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 27, 2012, 06:13:31 AM
Quote from: Insanity on April 27, 2012, 06:02:30 AM
Quote from: Nigel on April 27, 2012, 05:50:35 AM
You can say "University", and it's just a university of nonspecific region. Adding "Top 25" every time you say it... well, you may not THINK you're bragging,  but it does say something about the image you wish, on some level, to convey.

And if you think college education is a joke, you are indeed naive. If the education you are currently receiving is a joke, odds are high that either you are taking the wrong classes (I have known many people who started out in the wrong program) or that you're simply an arrogant child who is doing it wrong. Or, third option, that you are still taking prereqs and are blissfully unaware of how much more interesting it will begin to get in a year or two, if you're in the right program.
Very well, I've said it twice and I shall say it no more!  If I were to choose an option it would be the third.  However I feel like my University (this may be a problem specific to my university) is much too job-oriented.  Talking to some of the students (actually every single one I've met so far) you'd think this was a fucking vocational school.  Its just very frustrating.  I guess it may be a little early (have not yet finished my first year) to condemn the entire system, but the whole place seems to be very closed-minded and I hate that. 

Your advice is noted, I'll try to enjoy it a bit more.

As for the swaggering/high horse comments ... I can see how you might get that out of my posts.  As you all were quick to point out, I have no idea how this place works.  Can you blame me for causing a little Discord as I tried to figure out the unwritten rules of PD?

First when you get to 200 level courses things will start picking up. I have on 100 level course and 2 200 level courses this quarter and the 200's are much more engaging. Or if they don't you are taking the wrong courses for you, or have the wrong attitude towards them. Or maybe college isn't right for you. But yes condemning a system when you are in your first year of it rather short sighted and arrogant.

I actually fucking LOVE learning.  I just feel like I do more of it on my own.  And I got lucky enough to get into what is essentially a grad student class for undergrads in Information Studies .  Coincidentally that is how I found Eris, as one of the course readings was hosted on a Discordian site.  But you're right.  It was short sighted, and perhaps arrogant.  Also now that we're not just shitting on each other are there any other university students on this site?  I feel like you are all much older than me.

I'm a first-year student, and I think there are a couple-few others here. I am also much older than you are so that gives me a different perspective on the process. But there are several younger people here as well, including one or maybe two teenagers.

I started my sophomore year at age 27.

Twid,
Sophomore
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Insanity on April 27, 2012, 06:37:47 AM
Alright, that post was the most revealing of an actual person I've seen from you so far. I'm willing to reserve judgement until we've seen more of who you actually are.
At the risk of sounding like an asshat troll and having everyone hate me again might I ask why we can't ALWAYS try to reserve judgement on EVERYONE?  You never know what you might be missing out on.  I hope to be a testament to that.

Because, in a general sense, reserving judgement isn't very conducive to survival.
I see.  Well, survival is not my first priority.  I'll save the philosophies behind that statement (probably) for a rant.  Or not. 

Interesting.  Is anybody here from around the UCLA (whoops I dun gone given away my secret location) area?  As previously stated I've never met a Discordian in person.

Oh. You're from that unnaturally pleasant climate that makes my countrymen weak when they foolishly decide to move there.  :lulz:

With apologies to Garbo, I'm going to blame your introduction on California. Lack of rain is bad for the mind.

Unless you're Tucson of course, which has other factors to compensate.

Twid,
Bostonian

NewSpag

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 27, 2012, 06:43:42 AM

Oh. You're from that unnaturally pleasant climate that makes my countrymen weak when they foolishly decide to move there.  :lulz:

With apologies to Garbo, I'm going to blame your introduction on California. Lack of rain is bad for the mind.

Unless you're Tucson of course, which has other factors to compensate.

Twid,
Bostonian
Damned if I'm not aware of that fact.  I've wanted to escape this god-forsaken patch of desert ever since I heard my first complaint of "cold" in SoCal. I preceded to laugh in the face of my babysitter and scream "No, I won't stop swinging and I most definitely won't put on a jacket".  Or something like that, I'm not as fluent in toddlerese as I once was.
QuoteOne day I realized life was pointless.  I've been celebrating ever since.
There's beauty in everything so lets destroy it all together.
Sometimes Always is Never.  For everything else there's Mastercard.

Don Coyote

As Twid addressed Pinealism rather well...

I actually fucking LOVE learning.  I just feel like I do more of it on my own.  And I got lucky enough to get into what is essentially a grad student class for undergrads in Information Studies .  Coincidentally that is how I found Eris, as one of the course readings was hosted on a Discordian site.  But you're right.  It was short sighted, and perhaps arrogant.  Also now that we're not just shitting on each other are there any other university students on this site?  I feel like you are all much older than me.

DAMNIT TWID!!!!!! YOU ARE LIKE MY IRISH DOPPLEGANGER!!!!!!! I MUST KILL YOU BEFORE YOU DEVOUR MY SOUL!!!!!!

Coyote, also 27 year old sophomore, but I'm also an Army veteran instead of a METAL MUSCIAN!!!!!!

ALSO HOW DARE YOU DISPARAGE THE CRAZY LAND!!!!!!!!!!!

Coyote, from the Mojave desert originally.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 27, 2012, 06:53:56 AM

DAMNIT TWID!!!!!! YOU ARE LIKE MY IRISH DOPPLEGANGER!!!!!!! I MUST KILL YOU BEFORE YOU DEVOUR MY SOUL!!!!!!

Coyote, also 27 year old sophomore, but I'm also an Army veteran instead of a METAL MUSCIAN!!!!!!

You're like my Welsh doppleganger with 80sier shades. It's all good. No need to kill, merely collaborate. Except I'm a 30 year old sophomore now. (Also, in 3 years get your triglycerides checked).

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 27, 2012, 06:57:01 AM

You're like my Welsh doppleganger with 80sier shades. It's all good. No need to kill, merely collaborate. Except I'm a 30 year old sophomore now. (Also, in 3 years get your triglycerides checked).

So you are my older metaler brother?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 27, 2012, 06:59:45 AM

Yes.

Also, for disparaging the desert, I, as a New Englander (not so much as an Irishman since the weather in Ireland is usually between 40 and 60 and rainy), have noticed other New Englanders, perfectly capable of handling subzero temperatures (we still bitch but can handle it), come back from living in Cali and going "Oh my god, it's so cold on this 65 degree overcast day! I wish I brought my winter coat!"

Dude. It was 52 out the other day and I was wearing a t-shirt and found it comfortable.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 27, 2012, 07:05:32 AM

Yes.

Also, for disparaging the desert, I, as a New Englander (not so much as an Irishman since the weather in Ireland is usually between 40 and 60 and rainy), have noticed other New Englanders, perfectly capable of handling subzero temperatures (we still bitch but can handle it), come back from living in Cali and going "Oh my god, it's so cold on this 65 degree overcast day! I wish I brought my winter coat!"

Dude. It was 52 out the other day and I was wearing a t-shirt and found it comfortable.
HEHEHEHE If you spend enough time in a desert 80 can feel like sweater weather.

navkat

Twiddles: Man who is weirdly big.

<3

Nephew Twiddleton

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 27, 2012, 07:18:38 AM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 27, 2012, 07:05:32 AM

Yes.

HEHEHEHE If you spend enough time in a desert 80 can feel like sweater weather.

Nah. Considering that we get humid high 90s and occasionally buried in fluffy water in winter, I'm ok with the extremes. Makes you tough.

Actually I fucking hate summers. You can only get so naked without flaying yourself.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: navkat on April 27, 2012, 07:21:50 AM
Twiddles: Man who is weirdly big.

<3

Actually I'm 5'8". The only thing weirdly big is my ego on a secret level and my burgeoning beer gut.  :wink:

Cain

We had a member who used to be at UCLA, actually, though she lives in a different part of California.

And there are lots of Discordians in California in general, you just have to know where to look around (quite a few are from the greater San Francisco area, as you would expect).

Placid Dingo

Provided everything goes to plan I should be back to uni soon.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.