News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

Oh Noez! What about Teh Menz? -Patriarchy isn't a dude's friend EITHER!

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, August 07, 2012, 11:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Net on August 17, 2012, 12:03:27 AM

I'm grateful to have lucked into a spot near the top of the shitpile, and the fact that I'm still getting shat on from great heights was only brought up when Signora said straight white cis males aren't oppressed.

And at that point, the appeal to ridicule has come into play.  I'm referring to "cis man tears", which while having been beaten to death already, is still the only response that has been given, besides, "You are incapable of understanding", which relegates you to the level of an animal with respect to the conversation.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Net on August 17, 2012, 12:05:59 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on August 16, 2012, 11:59:06 PM
Quote from: Signora Paesior on August 16, 2012, 11:57:33 PM

And while I'm thinking about it, oppressions aren't rankable (I seem to recall this coming up earlier but god knows where). It's all situational and oppression Olympics are bullshit. There are situations where I will be in a position of privilege over a black man, and there are times when he will be in a position of privilege over me. And a white guy is in a position of privilege over both of us.

I'm probably a bad person for finding this fascinating.

I'm still sort of stunned, myself.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Signora Pæsior

And while I'm thinking about it, oppressions aren't rankable (I seem to recall this coming up earlier but god knows where). It's all situational and oppression Olympics are bullshit. There are situations where I will be in a position of privilege over a black man, and there are times when he will be in a position of privilege over me. And a white guy is in a position of privilege over both of us.

Sorry, I should have said: all other things being equal.
Petrochemical Pheremone Buzzard of the Poisoned Water Hole

Faust

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on August 17, 2012, 12:06:22 AM

I'm grateful to have lucked into a spot near the top of the shitpile, and the fact that I'm still getting shat on from great heights was only brought up when Signora said straight white cis males aren't oppressed.

And at that point, the appeal to ridicule has come into play.  I'm referring to "cis man tears", which while having been beaten to death already, is still the only response that has been given, besides, "You are incapable of understanding", which relegates you to the level of an animal with respect to the conversation.
Every single person here. Every one is incapable of understanding oppression. Especially the ones claiming they do.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Signora Paesior on August 17, 2012, 12:15:29 AM

Sorry, I should have said: all other things being equal.

It's still a blatant ranking.

AFK

Quote from: Faust on August 17, 2012, 12:16:52 AM

Every single person here. Every one is incapable of understanding oppression. Especially the ones claiming they do.

Faust nails it in one.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on August 17, 2012, 12:16:52 AM

Incorrect.  There are two ways of understanding oppression:  To be oppressed, and to be the oppressor.

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, that's an incredibly fucked up generalization, based on no facts whatsoever.

You have NO IDEA if Garbo has been oppressed.  You have no idea if Nigel has been oppressed.  You have no idea if anyone here has been oppressed.

HAVING PRIVILEGE DOES NOT EXCLUDE THE POSSIBILITY OF BEING OPPRESSED.

A plague on both your houses.  Seriously.

Faust

I agree, no one here has any idea of the oppression anyone else here has endured in the least.
I was being facetious and exaggerating it as a pile of oppressors squabbling to see who is marginally less of the oppressor. The hipster equivalent of the privilege game.

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Freeky

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on August 17, 2012, 12:26:39 AM
I agree, no one here has any idea of the oppression anyone else here has endured in the least.
I was being facetious and exaggerating it as a pile of oppressors squabbling to see who is marginally less of the oppressor. The hipster equivalent of the privilege game.

Okay.  No argument there.

The Good Reverend Roger

AFK

It's all pointless semantics and wankery if you ask me.  For fuck's sake, either people work together to right wrongs or they don't.  But if they DO step up to help out, who the fuck cares if they are a cis male, an svu male, whatever.  What fucking difference does it make?

Territorial pissings is what it amounts to in the end.  At least, that's what it has smelled like in this thread.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Gen. Disregard on August 17, 2012, 12:34:11 AM
It's all pointless semantics and wankery if you ask me.  For fuck's sake, either people work together to right wrongs or they don't.  But if they DO step up to help out, who the fuck cares if they are a cis male, an svu male, whatever.  What fucking difference does it make?

Territorial pissings is what it amounts to in the end.  At least, that's what it has smelled like in this thread.

Heirarchies must be established, for we are primates.

In the beginning, this was about eglatarianism.  Now it's about who gets to have an opinion, and who doesn't.

AFK

The US Congress shows us on a daily basis how well that works and how mich progress that acheives.