News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Oh Noez! What about Teh Menz? -Patriarchy isn't a dude's friend EITHER!

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, August 07, 2012, 11:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on September 19, 2012, 04:29:42 PM
I knew a girl whose uncle basically sold her st fifteen or sixteen as a child bride to a man twenty-five years her senior. She'd been married for two years by the time I knew her, and I think she'd been pulled from school when she was fourteen or so. That was an ugly thing.

Also, yes, very powerful (and correct) stuff. When women are educated, there seems to be a distinct drop-off in population growth, too, which is very, very good.

Yes, it's nice when people understand that they have options other than becoming a baby factory.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 19, 2012, 04:32:30 PM
I knew a girl whose uncle basically sold her st fifteen or sixteen as a child bride to a man twenty-five years her senior. She'd been married for two years by the time I knew her, and I think she'd been pulled from school when she was fourteen or so. That was an ugly thing.

Also, yes, very powerful (and correct) stuff. When women are educated, there seems to be a distinct drop-off in population growth, too, which is very, very good.

Yes, it's nice when people understand that they have options other than becoming a baby factory.

Yep.

And it relates directly to my post in the other thread about how impoverished women, particularly those without reproductive autonomy, give birth to impoverished children, most of whom grow up to repeat the cycle. Keeping women oppressed isn't just about women, it's about class warfare as well. It's about breeding a booming underclass as fodder for the upper class.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pope Pixie Pickle

When I was 15 or 16 or so one of the girls in the year below mine just disappeared.. It later transpired she was sent to either India or Pakistan and basically was married off..

Faust

The portrayal of men on television as the leader of a family especially in comedy shows is always as a blundering oaf (Simpsons, Family guy, American dad),  or menacing threatening figure (Primarily when the show is from the point of view of teen child of the family).

Additionally in a lot of UK shows the father often embodies vice, or dodging of responsibility (misfits etc). If a father is shown in a intelligent/gentle/ or sagely fashion, he is almost certainly going to be killed or otherwise brutalised for emotional effect (uncle Ben)
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on April 02, 2013, 10:46:38 PM
The portrayal of men on television as the leader of a family especially in comedy shows is always as a blundering oaf (Simpsons, Family guy, American dad),  or menacing threatening figure (Primarily when the show is from the point of view of teen child of the family).

Additionally in a lot of UK shows the father often embodies vice, or dodging of responsibility (misfits etc). If a father is shown in a intelligent/gentle/ or sagely fashion, he is almost certainly going to be killed or otherwise brutalised for emotional effect (uncle Ben)

Now you've done it.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

AFK

He's kinda right, though, in the case of comedies, the laughs have to come from somewhere right?  Basically everyone , men AND women, in an American comedy are just fleshy cartoon characters, because there is rarely a such thing as wit in American comedies.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Six Feet of Sole on April 02, 2013, 11:06:06 PM
He's kinda right, though, in the case of comedies, the laughs have to come from somewhere right?  Basically everyone , men AND women, in an American comedy are just fleshy cartoon characters, because there is rarely a such thing as wit in American comedies.

I'd argue that.  I'd say there's no wit at all in American comedies.  Just those who inflict humilation, and the humiliated.  That is the sum total of American "comedy" television.

AFK

I'd say there have been some very brief, short-lived exceptions (Better of Ted (cancelled after one season), the occassional Parks & Rec episode) but otherwise I completely agree.

East Coast Hustle

Yep. Pratfalls, poop jokes, and cracks about being fat seems to be, for the most part, the height of American comedic sophistication.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Faust

The Good Reverend Roger

Sienfeld was the perfect example.  Every gag was based on someone being humiliated.  Every single one.

AFK

Yep, and that's become the gold standard for American comedy.  That, or the Two and a Half Men model.  How many penis jokes can we fit into 22 minutes.

Faust

Seinfeld was also never funny.

Even the shows I do like and think are funny suffer from father hang ups:

The venture brothers was self aware of it. Doctor Venture is a self loathing, neurotic pill popping, amoral failed scientist.

His father is an absent god spoken of only in reverence or resentment at his abandoning us.
Venture Sr embodies the hardworking brilliant rugged genius trope of the 50's. He is supposed to be Dr Quest from Johnny quest but he is really more of a Doc Savage with chest hair like that.

We can identify with the younger venture for all his faults and fragility and frustration, but we are encouraged to resent that trope of the Man's Man 50's icon, for it's simplicity and for it antiquity.

What killed it, that it was incapable of change like a dinosaur and was killed off by the changing culture of the sixties seventies and eighties? I stop there because that is also where culture ended.

Anna Mae Bollocks

The Bundys were funny the first few seasons, but yeah. Al poses with a toilet. Al staples a centerfold to the headboard so he can fuck Peg. Etc.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Faust

Al's a stupid oaf and his wife is a shrew. Same deal.
Episode two has Al actually say I love you to her in one of the shows only heart warming scenes. It was less then a season that any sense of the Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf volatile but besotted with each other relationship evaporated. Then the show went on for another 250+ episodes...

Love doesn't good comedy make.