PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

So What's A White Boy To Do?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 27, 2012, 06:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: holist on November 28, 2012, 07:53:54 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2012, 05:44:25 PM
Not treating people like shit requires respecting their culture.

:lulz: I advise you to recall that sentiment next time a Jehova's witness or, better still, a Scientologist knocks on your door for a chat.

:lulz:

Wait.

:argh!:

STOP THAT SHIT.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2012, 06:54:37 PM
When people get butthurt about burning American flags, it's not the actual flag they're mad about, it's what the flag represents.

Agh, this is a tangled issue I will come back to after class.

Would that be like what we call secondary school over here?

I actually think people get butthurt over that flag being burnt because they have been hypnotized into a ridiculous and entirely untenable state of mind usually called "patriotism".

The origin, evolution and history of that self-perpetuating hypnosis is deep and interesting, not trivial. A "tangled issue" as you so succinctly put it.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Cain on November 28, 2012, 07:49:59 PM

If that's not a veiled invitation to discuss homeopathy again, then what is it?

Dildo Argentino

Juana

We appear to have reached the part of this kind of thread where I repeat myself a million times because what I've said has been ignored. Jesus.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2012, 08:02:49 PM
Quote from: holist on November 28, 2012, 07:53:54 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2012, 05:44:25 PM
Not treating people like shit requires respecting their culture.

:lulz: I advise you to recall that sentiment next time a Jehova's witness or, better still, a Scientologist knocks on your door for a chat.

Wait.

:argh!:

STOP THAT SHIT.
I think I already said something about what "respect" means in this case. And also how as a member of Western culture, I'm totally allowed to make fun of it anyway.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2012, 07:07:39 PM

A lot of that is supposed to make fun of behaviors of people within a specific demographic, not the whole group without respect to context.

As a member of that demographic, I can't see ANY difference between that and any other broad-brush slur.
[/quote]
Since when does individual = whole? Because I dunno about you, but I'm not offended by "white tears" ("whhaaa! If there's a Black history month, and a Latino history month, and an Asian history month, why can't we have a WHITE history month?" <-- white tears) because I don't shed them.

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 28, 2012, 07:43:13 PM
6 pages later and I still don't know what a fucking war bonnet is or where the white rasta who stole my shit went.

Fucking Wednesdays.
War bonnet. I don't know about the rasta. Check your nearest head shop.

Quote from: Cain on November 28, 2012, 07:49:59 PM
Quote from: holist on November 28, 2012, 07:47:59 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2012, 05:26:31 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 28, 2012, 05:13:54 PM
We may as well just say the whole thing is arbitrary and subjective, and there's no good way to draw a line that will apply to any particular culture in any particular era.

I can roll with that, I suppose.

Of course you can roll with that, it's an intellectual cop-out. And you like those.

Certainly easier than actually trying to cogitate about a question you don't immediately have an opinion about.

Gee, thanks Cain.

And Holist, I've already articulated my opinion and I can agree, at least to some extent, with the sentiment because each case is very dependent on the context involved. The only hard and fast rule I can think of is that accuracy is important if you're gonna make fun of something and that the borrowee ought to listen to the requests of borrowed if borrowee is taking certain kinds of things (in the name of fashion or in media when not intending to make fun of them or whatever).
I don't see why this is an issue.

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on November 28, 2012, 07:46:18 PM

No, it's what the object/whatever represents. When people get butthurt about burning American flags, it's not the actual flag they're mad about, it's what the flag represents.

But "the flag" is just a piece of cloth. Some jackass burning it isn't going to destroy everything it stands for (the people are doing that just fine).

If I know a bit about the Yin and Yang, like what it represents and choose to wear it on an article of clothing or jewelry or whatever, because I like a reminder of it's influence in my life, etc., am I stomping all over the Chinese because I'm not otherwise immersed in Chinese culture or tradition?
Yes, it's just a piece of cloth, but it's a good example of feelings being attached to an object.

No, I don't think so. But I'm also very white and not necessarily a good person to ask (because, as I have said before, it's probably the best to leave that to the group it originates from).
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2012, 08:44:33 PM
And Holist, I've already articulated my opinion

About what? I said something, you told me to read up on something trivial I have already read up on a great deal (more than you, I suspect) and then called me a mouth-breater. You did not explain why my opinion provoked such easy-handed contempt in you.

and I can agree, at least to some extent, with the sentiment because each case is very dependent on the context involved.

er... what are you on about?

The only hard and fast rule I can think of is that accuracy is important if you're gonna make fun of something and that the borrowee ought to listen to the requests of borrowed if borrowee is taking certain kinds of things (in the name of fashion or in media when not intending to make fun of them or whatever).

Sorry to be a harbringer of bad news.

That concept of accuracy you introduced is going to be found wanting.

Long story short: who decides what constitutes an accurate, as opposed to an inaccurate piece of humour?

Perhaps try looking harder.

Dildo Argentino

Juana

Seriously. I'm done. Done trying to talk about this shit because the inevitable conclusion is that I say something, important parts of what I said get ignored when someone makes the SAME FUCKING ARGUMENT from three pages ago, I say it again, am ignored again, and the cycle starts again. Goddamn. It's like no one fucking reads my posts all the way through.

Quote from: holist on November 28, 2012, 09:05:47 PM
And Holist, I've already articulated my opinion

About what? I said something, you told me to read up on something trivial I have already read up on a great deal (more than you, I suspect) and then called me a mouth-breater. You did not explain why my opinion provoked such easy-handed contempt in you.

and I can agree, at least to some extent, with the sentiment because each case is very dependent on the context involved.

er... what are you on about?

The only hard and fast rule I can think of is that accuracy is important if you're gonna make fun of something and that the borrowee ought to listen to the requests of borrowed if borrowee is taking certain kinds of things (in the name of fashion or in media when not intending to make fun of them or whatever).

Sorry to be a harbringer of bad news.

That concept of accuracy you introduced is going to be found wanting.

Long story short: who decides what constitutes an accurate, as opposed to an inaccurate piece of humour?

Perhaps try looking harder.
You have earned my contempt by your past behavior, and frankly, this post of yours I am responding to (after which, I am for really reals pledging your derpy ass). If you understood enculturation and socialization, you'd understand why your argument is fucking stupid. You can't escape your culture because it MADE you. You can and should reject the bad signal, but you can't escape how it shaped you (because, if nothing else, your rejection of the bad signal shapes who you are). You can't escape your past and you can't escape the culture in which you live (especially if you're Western. We're like a fucking virus). That is why you can't escape your culture.

Re-read the post in question.

It's "harbinger" and research is not actually that difficult. JFC.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Juana

And also, I don't understand why not being an asshole is so fucking hard.

Faust

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2012, 09:19:47 PM

Yeah, but you should try anyway.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Don Coyote

so
if I were to begin wearing traditional Arabian clothing I would be guilty of cultural appropriation?

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2012, 09:18:56 PM
You have earned my contempt by your past behavior, and frankly, this post of yours I am responding to (after which, I am for really reals pledging your derpy ass). If you understood enculturation and socialization, you'd understand why your argument is fucking stupid. You can't escape your culture because it MADE you. You can and should reject the bad signal, but you can't escape how it shaped you (because, if nothing else, your rejection of the bad signal shapes who you are). You can't escape your past and you can't escape the culture in which you live (especially if you're Western. We're like a fucking virus). That is why you can't escape your culture.

Re-read the post in question.

It's "harbinger" and research is not actually that difficult. JFC.

WOW, grammarnazi CORRECTING SPELLING MISTAKES IN AN ATTEMPT TO BITE BACK ITT!

However, I think you'll find...

that your heated paragraph above, which is naught but hot air, was covered in the post on whose strength I earned that lovely accostation from you. It was my 1st interpretation. Indeed, you cannot make it so that your past didn't happen. True. Trivial. And yet I would say there are people (as I have shown you, because I wanted to give you empirical evidence, of course, it was pearls before swine) of whom it would be fair to say they abandoned their culture. As, I suspect, it would be fair to say so of most accomplished discordians as well (except the lucky few who had the good fortune to be born into a discordian family).

I predict you are going to embarrass yourself further.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Faust on November 28, 2012, 09:22:43 PM

I mean... that's a mean thing to say! Respect Garbo's culture more, please!

The Good Reverend Roger

How long have you known me?   :lol:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

Quote from: holist on November 28, 2012, 09:32:29 PM
Quote from: Faust on November 28, 2012, 09:22:43 PM

I mean... that's a mean thing to say! Respect Garbo's culture more, please!

It was only a joke. The only thing I can fault her on is the fact that you are really dopey and the fact that she got so frustrated with you is like someone shaking a smelly fully grown baby.
Sleepless nights at the chateau