News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

So What's A White Boy To Do?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 27, 2012, 06:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

Quote from: American Jackal on November 28, 2012, 09:27:23 PM
so
if I were to begin wearing traditional Arabian clothing I would be guilty of cultural appropriation?
Here, in the US? Or the West in general? I'd say so. If you're running around there, I don't think so? Especially if you've moved there. Again, you should probably talk to an Arabian.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2012, 09:35:27 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2012, 09:19:47 PM
And also, I don't understand why not being an asshole is so fucking hard.

How long have you known me?   :lol:
Long enough I should know by now, lol. Different variety of asshole, I guess. The kind who wears "sexy squaw" outfits.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Faust

I don't think people should use machinery or ideology that would constitute cultural appropriation or propagating any other cultural absorption/integration.

Speaking as a Greek representative I need to politely All those of using democracy or mathematics or feta cheese to please cease doing so immediately.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Don Coyote

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2012, 09:38:25 PM
so
if I were to begin wearing traditional Arabian clothing I would be guilty of cultural appropriation?
Here, in the US? Or the West in general? I'd say so. If you're running around there, I don't think so? Especially if you've moved there. Again, you should probably talk to an Arabian.

So iffen I lived in similar climate I would be guilty of appropriating another culture, even if their cultural clothing was more suitable for the climate I find myself in?

"Nope sorry whitey, you got to suffer wearing the clothes of your culture despite their dubious suitablity for the climate you find yourself in. Furthermore McPaleface, move on back to Scandirishland. Your kind doesn't even belong in a desert."

As for the whole bloody warbonnet thing. My understanding is the majority of complaints about it isn't cultural appropriating, but fetishizing the female segment of a minority group that is drastically more likely to be raped by a white man than a man of their ethnicity.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Faust on November 28, 2012, 09:44:49 PM
I don't think people should use machinery or ideology that would constitute cultural appropriation or propagating any other cultural absorption/integration.

Speaking as a Greek representative I need to politely All those of using democracy or mathematics or feta cheese to please cease doing so immediately.

Fuck, next thing we know all the South American ethnic groups are going to demand we no longer eat potatoes.

Nephew Twiddleton

Dammit, I like feta!
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Juana

Quote from: American Jackal on November 28, 2012, 09:48:05 PM
so

So iffen I lived in similar climate I would be guilty of appropriating another culture, even if their cultural clothing was more suitable for the climate I find myself in?

"Nope sorry whitey, you got to suffer wearing the clothes of your culture despite their dubious suitablity for the climate you find yourself in. Furthermore McPaleface, move on back to Scandirishland. Your kind doesn't even belong in a desert."

As for the whole bloody warbonnet thing. My understanding is the majority of complaints about it isn't cultural appropriating, but fetishizing the female segment of a minority group that is drastically more likely to be raped by a white man than a man of their ethnicity.
I have no idea, but I imagine that cultures in the area there have clothing that does the job, too.

What.

Oh, that's certainly part of it (and was, with the Victoria Secret incident). But I've heard the cultural appropriation in general argument a lot.

:aww:
Although on a serious note, I don't think that's really the same as taking other parts of culture and commercializing, etc. them. Legal systems/science isn't quite the same as taking sacred things and turning them into novelties.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Faust

ok, how about religion. an icon of my countries religious history has been misappropriated. you have one Eris. please return her immediately.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Phox

so
This is the sort of thing that people are talking about, Garbo. It makes no sense. If I walk around in a hijab because I like them, feel comfortable in them, or wish to show my various Muslim friends that I appreciate their culture through adoption, then it's wrong. Unless I'm in a predominately Muslim country. What if I'm visiting a predominately Muslim neighborhood?

Juana

Quote from: Faust on November 28, 2012, 10:17:15 PM
ok, how about religion. an icon of my countries religious history has been misappropriated. you have one Eris. please return her immediately.
I was wondering when that would come up. :lulz: The answer I want to give is that Western culture has some pretty solid Greek influences, but that might just be excuses. :lol:

Quote from: Doktor D. Jennifer Phox on November 28, 2012, 10:22:21 PM
so
This is the sort of thing that people are talking about, Garbo. It makes no sense. If I walk around in a hijab because I like them, feel comfortable in them, or wish to show my various Muslim friends that I appreciate their culture through adoption, then it's wrong. Unless I'm in a predominately Muslim country. What if I'm visiting a predominately Muslim neighborhood?

I don't understand why it doesn't make sense. Perhaps I'm a little slow on the uptake and will facepalm later, but would you explain that to me?
I don't know how much of the hijab is attached explicitly to Islam, so I'm not going to say anything on the first one (although I do know that a friend who started wearing one eventually converted, partly, I think, because she felt she was appropriating it. I'll ask her). The country part - some of that is mandated by law, in some countries IIRC. As for when you're visiting a predominantly Muslim, IDK. Maybe? Might depend on the make up of the neighborhood.
TBH, I'm not real comfortable making these kind of comments because I don't belong to those cultures and don't know enough off hand to say anything for sure.

Don Coyote

so

Or because I live in a miserably hot arid climate and don't like my nuts and ass crack to be soggy.

The real reason Coyote wears a kilt, but it applies to wearing a thawb, jellabiya, abaya, any other clothing traditionally worn by men/women in Arabia and other similar climates.

LMNO

I think I might be getting hung up on your insistence on the word "sacred", and that I should respect whatever thing someone claims it to be.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2012, 09:18:56 PM
Seriously. I'm done. Done trying to talk about this shit because the inevitable conclusion is that I say something, important parts of what I said get ignored when someone makes the SAME FUCKING ARGUMENT from three pages ago, I say it again, am ignored again, and the cycle starts again. Goddamn. It's like no one fucking reads my posts all the way through.

not to put too fine a point on it, but it may be that we've read your posts all the way through and concluded that you have your head lodged firmly up your ass in regards to this issue.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Don Coyote

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2012, 10:29:40 PM
I was wondering when that would come up. :lulz: The answer I want to give is that Western culture has some pretty solid Greek influences, but that might just be excuses. :lol:

so

I don't understand why it doesn't make sense. Perhaps I'm a little slow on the uptake and will facepalm later, but would you explain that to me?
I don't know how much of the hijab is attached explicitly to Islam, so I'm not going to say anything on the first one (although I do know that a friend who started wearing one eventually converted, partly, I think, because she felt she was appropriating it. I'll ask her). The country part - some of that is mandated by law, in some countries IIRC. As for when you're visiting a predominantly Muslim, IDK. Maybe? Might depend on the make up of the neighborhood.
TBH, I'm not real comfortable making these kind of comments because I don't belong to those cultures and don't know enough off hand to say anything for sure.

On a similar note.
What if for whatever reason I, a stereotypical white male, find myself unable to shear my hair or wash it for extended periods of time? Am I forbidden from placing my hair into dreadlocks? Regardless of how retarded they look on white folk.

And on THAT note.
Would it be acceptable to mock a western white man for wearing the clothes of an Arab man or woman, or a Japanese man or woman? What if I felt like wearing a dashiki, for similar reasons to wearing Arab dress, only more colors?

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: American Jackal on November 28, 2012, 10:39:12 PM
On a similar note.
What if for whatever reason I, a stereotypical white male....
SNIP
HA! couldn't read past that part...
:lol:

Juana

Quote from: American Jackal on November 28, 2012, 10:31:45 PM
so

Or because I live in a miserably hot arid climate and don't like my nuts and ass crack to be soggy.

The real reason Coyote wears a kilt, but it applies to wearing a thawb, jellabiya, abaya, any other clothing traditionally worn by men/women in Arabia and other similar climates.
*shrug* I'm possibly being over cautious. The only real furor I've ever seen over Arab clothing/Islamic ladies' covering had to do with Lady Gaga wearing a filmy burqua, which was not well received.

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 28, 2012, 10:37:40 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2012, 09:18:56 PM
Seriously. I'm done. Done trying to talk about this shit because the inevitable conclusion is that I say something, important parts of what I said get ignored when someone makes the SAME FUCKING ARGUMENT from three pages ago, I say it again, am ignored again, and the cycle starts again. Goddamn. It's like no one fucking reads my posts all the way through.

not to put too fine a point on it, but it may be that we've read your posts all the way through and concluded that you have your head lodged firmly up your ass in regards to this issue.
Then address my points instead of regurtiating the same motherfucking argument, almost word for word. I should hope you get why that would be frustrating for me.

Quote from: American Jackal on November 28, 2012, 10:39:12 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2012, 10:29:40 PM

so

On a similar note.
What if for whatever reason I, a stereotypical white male, find myself unable to shear my hair or wash it for extended periods of time? Am I forbidden from placing my hair into dreadlocks? Regardless of how retarded they look on white folk.

And on THAT note.
Would it be acceptable to mock a western white man for wearing the clothes of an Arab man or woman, or a Japanese man or woman? What if I felt like wearing a dashiki, for similar reasons to wearing Arab dress, only more colors?
I'm not sure why putting it in a pony tail and finger combing it is too hard. Or why waiting the two weeks for your hair to stop being greasy and icky is impossible.

I have generally observed nothing but mockery and contempt for Westerners who do that and I would probably give you funny looks, regardless.

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 28, 2012, 10:36:05 PM
I think I might be getting hung up on your insistence on the word "sacred", and that I should respect whatever thing someone claims it to be.
Okay, I can understand that. When I use the word, I'm talking about seriously important, key parts of a people's identity or traditions. I'll find a less religious replacement on my way home. Gotta skedaddle right now though.