News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

They gave me Paxil...

Started by Bu🤠ns, May 07, 2013, 08:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

...for a generalized anxiety/depression thing.

I know you're all pretty intelligent folk--some of whom have probably treaded down this road before and was wondering if you had any advice I could screen?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Get third party feedback for Paxil. One of the things it's notorious for is making the patient care less about the condition of their life and relationships, while their lives and relationships degrade. Simply making the patient feel better is not an adequate solution, if the people around them are not feeling an improvement.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That said, I have been on Fluoxetine for acute OCD issues, and it was incredibly helpful.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

I took it for six mo. following a massive, uh attack. Rage, throwing things, bad. This was about 2003?

It really balanced my shit out. Then, at about six months I felt that I didn't feel anything about anything and weaned myself off it over a month or so.

Haven't had any brain things like that since then.

Full disclosure, 2 month before this attack I had taken some very, uh, organic hallucinogens. It was not a happy experience for me. I always figured it threw my brain off keel and the paxil was the tugboat back to Okay Bay, Brainsville.

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Salty

Zapped my libido...

But I was dating a virgin at the time, so that kind of helped.

*stops filing nails*

SRSLY.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Q. G. Pennyworth

The only advice I can give is to make sure that the diagnosis makes sense given your symptoms. I was prescribed paxil by a retard and when I got a better shrink they switched it immediately.

Bu🤠ns

Thanks, all.

So far I've been feeling kind of hyper.  And the whole libido thing ... well... that's going  to be difficult to accept...but after a week I haven't really noticed a change in that department.   

Granted it's only the 12 mg dose so maybe it's not so much?  I really have never been on an SSRI before so I'm not really sure what to look for. With the doctor, I'm not very impressed.  He's from the middle east and difficult to understand sometimes and he wasn't too sure when he chose this particular drug. 

Then again, I won't really know unless I try.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Bu☆ns on May 07, 2013, 04:06:00 PM
Thanks, all.

So far I've been feeling kind of hyper.  And the whole libido thing ... well... that's going  to be difficult to accept...but after a week I haven't really noticed a change in that department.   

Granted it's only the 12 mg dose so maybe it's not so much?  I really have never been on an SSRI before so I'm not really sure what to look for. With the doctor, I'm not very impressed.  He's from the middle east and difficult to understand sometimes and he wasn't too sure when he chose this particular drug. 

Sometimes starting an SSRI can cause a bit of a manic swing. I had a real problem with that when I started zoloft, but it only lasted about a day. Make sure you let your doctor know about it, especially if it doesn't go away. Also, I don't know from paxil but when they had me on celexa as a crazy teenager I had some really bad problems with irritability if I missed doses, so, you know, don't do that. Don't know if paxil is better or worse on that problem, but they're all kinda in the same family.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Bu☆ns on May 07, 2013, 08:09:16 AM

I know you're all pretty intelligent folk--some of whom have probably treaded down this road before and was wondering if you had any advice I could screen?

did they offer you a talking therapy?

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Pixie on May 07, 2013, 04:18:36 PM

Not particularly.  The same office has therapists as well...my wife says with these things, it's better to take control and tell them how you want your therapy to go. This guy was just the MD and wants to follow up in two weeks (three weeks from last appt).  I'd imagine we'd explore those options at that point. 

I just wonder why he'd prescribe this drug first since, according to web articles, it has a difficult withdrawal.  I also don't don't want to over analyze this too terribly.  I also know that reading blog comments isn't necessarily the healthiest practice either :P

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on May 07, 2013, 04:10:19 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on May 07, 2013, 04:06:00 PM
Thanks, all.

Sometimes starting an SSRI can cause a bit of a manic swing. I had a real problem with that when I started zoloft, but it only lasted about a day. Make sure you let your doctor know about it, especially if it doesn't go away. Also, I don't know from paxil but when they had me on celexa as a crazy teenager I had some really bad problems with irritability if I missed doses, so, you know, don't do that. Don't know if paxil is better or worse on that problem, but they're all kinda in the same family.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.  It's still early and I'm unsure what I'm supposed to be feeling/looking for.  Well, other than a sense of calmness.  I really just want to get to a place where I feel less resistance in changing my patterns.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bu☆ns on May 07, 2013, 04:40:59 PM

Not particularly.  The same office has therapists as well...my wife says with these things, it's better to take control and tell them how you want your therapy to go. This guy was just the MD and wants to follow up in two weeks (three weeks from last appt).  I'd imagine we'd explore those options at that point. 

I just wonder why he'd prescribe this drug first since, according to web articles, it has a difficult withdrawal.  I also don't don't want to over analyze this too terribly.  I also know that reading blog comments isn't necessarily the healthiest practice either :P

Instead of reading blog comments, get outside.  Regardless of what treatment you're getting, taking a walk always helps.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 07, 2013, 04:45:45 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on May 07, 2013, 04:40:59 PM

Instead of reading blog comments, get outside.  Regardless of what treatment you're getting, taking a walk always helps.

HA! That's exactly what my father said.   Excellent call...and you're totally right...it's invigorating.

The Good Reverend Roger

Yeah, well, Nigel gave me that advice years ago, and it's done me no end of good.

And there isn't a doctor in the world who will tell you not to get exercise alongside being treated for depression.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bu🤠ns

It does help...the pills are more for the anxiety than the depression though.  The depression sort of comes and goes and, while I don't take it quite as seriously, the people around me seem to be more negatively affected by it.  The anxiety is more personal.

I also started eliminating as much processed foods in my diet as possible as well as going easy on dairy and carbs.  I've been having a fruit and veggie shake mixed with coconut water every morning and that's doing wonders for my energy level.