News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Open Bar MMXIV^2: Solace of Quantum

Started by Cain, June 05, 2013, 11:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on June 07, 2013, 05:46:50 AM
I'm also looking at pursuing a formal complaint against the emergency services.  I reported we had a student out in the cold, unable to move and in severe pain and distress.  She also had stomach and chest pains.

It took an hour for an ambulance to arrive.  An hour.  And the paramedics said they only got the call themselves four minutes before they arrived. So for 56 minutes, they were totally cool with a highly distressed, frightened girl far from home possibly dying on the streets and, as far as I can tell, only gave in because I wouldn't stop calling them.

Top Tip - Whenever dealing with emergency services (and it is a damned emergency) regardless of the problem at some point mention the words "Unconscious" and "Not breathing". I've had multiple call for police/ambulance services over the year, and the response was always horrifically slow or not at all until someone mentioned trying this to me. I realise this isn't exactly civilised, but it is quite frustrating to hear that your emergency is not an emergency.

I've found it's a lot easier claiming confusion after the fact than letting a shit situation get worse and relaying information correctly.

Anecdotally, I hear most of the (UK) Emergency service workers in the field seem to assume dispatch is evil and useless, and dispatch seem to think the same way. That's probably a good metaphor for something.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Left

Quote from: Cain on June 07, 2013, 05:46:50 AM
I'm also looking at pursuing a formal complaint against the emergency services.  I reported we had a student out in the cold, unable to move and in severe pain and distress.  She also had stomach and chest pains.

It took an hour for an ambulance to arrive.  An hour.  And the paramedics said they only got the call themselves four minutes before they arrived. So for 56 minutes, they were totally cool with a highly distressed, frightened girl far from home possibly dying on the streets and, as far as I can tell, only gave in because I wouldn't stop calling them.
So the fuckup was in dispatch?
And yeah, that's pretty fucked up.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Reginald Ret

I just got my nose rubbed in my humanity.

I was in a meeting where we were being told about the needed overtime for teh coming month and i just sat there nodding, not really noticing something wasn't right.
I remember hearing every word and understanding the concepts behind them but somehow I didn't react, just like everyone else there.

Until the entire staff flipped out on hearing the news that we were going to work saturdays and sundays for three weeks on end. Mandatory. Then i realised i had just suffered from the Asch-conformity effect or something.
Working 3 weekends means no free day for anyone for 26 days.
Luckily everyone flipped out (strange how one group can react so differently from another) and it got changed to voluntary saturdays.

This experience scared the fuck out of me. Apparantly i am a meek little sheep with no willpower.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Junkenstein

Don't be too hard on yourself, meetings like this are designed to induce a near-coma state to make you hyper-suggestible.

The thing to remember is that if you're in a meeting, nothing good will come of it. Beware if you haven't noticed the lurking awful.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 07, 2013, 08:38:43 AM
Top Tip - Whenever dealing with emergency services (and it is a damned emergency) regardless of the problem at some point mention the words "Unconscious" and "Not breathing". I've had multiple call for police/ambulance services over the year, and the response was always horrifically slow or not at all until someone mentioned trying this to me. I realise this isn't exactly civilised, but it is quite frustrating to hear that your emergency is not an emergency.

I've found it's a lot easier claiming confusion after the fact than letting a shit situation get worse and relaying information correctly.

Anecdotally, I hear most of the (UK) Emergency service workers in the field seem to assume dispatch is evil and useless, and dispatch seem to think the same way. That's probably a good metaphor for something.

Yeah, this has been the first time I've had to call an ambulance in a while.  Maybe the cuts are finally taking their effect.  I know they have a ticksheet for this kind of thing, but, for me, numb limbs, chest pain and inability to stand all scream "potentially serious issue".  But then, I am not a trained medical professional.  Much like the dispatchers *drumroll*.

Quote from: hylierandom, A.D.D. on June 07, 2013, 08:49:18 AM
So the fuckup was in dispatch?
And yeah, that's pretty fucked up.

Yeah, as far as I can tell.  I have nothing but good experiences with paramedics, and the utmost respect for their dangerous, underpaid, physically and mentally demanding profession.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 07, 2013, 01:14:37 PM
Don't be too hard on yourself, meetings like this are designed to induce a near-coma state to make you hyper-suggestible.

The thing to remember is that if you're in a meeting, nothing good will come of it. Beware if you haven't noticed the lurking awful.
Thanks, I'll remember that.
Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between a meeting-type meeting and a workshop-type meeting, because those last ones are usually fun and at least somewhat productive. (they burn daylight ofcourse)
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 07, 2013, 01:14:37 PM

TRUE WORDS.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Quote from: El Twid on June 07, 2013, 07:49:50 AM
I'm at this weird point where, I have more alcohol in my glass, but, I don't want it.

This is, as I am sure you all know, a rare thing. But... I don't want it anymore.

Twid,
Absinthe

I believe I have identified the problem.

Cain

Yeah, srsly.  I've got no problems with scotch, and I think absinthe is crazy strong shit.

I mean, it's not ethanol, but it's damn close.

LMNO

Not only that, but do you really want to taste more than a few ounces of liquorice in pure liquid form?

The Johnny

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 07, 2013, 03:09:57 PM
Not only that, but do you really want to taste more than a few ounces of liquorice in pure liquid form?

Chartreusse FTW
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Nephew Twiddleton

I quite like the licorice taste. And absinthe. Except right now.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Eater of Clowns

I'll be on vacation and in North Carolina for a few weeks, so I'll be around even more sparsely than usual.  See you all in a bit.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Anybody doing Boston Pride tomorrow? I need some dressup to get over all the fuckityfuckfuck enough to do things about it.