News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

DISCORDIANISM OVER

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, August 04, 2013, 09:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

It's the 21st century, and it's the 1960s all over again, except this time without the hippies. We've built a Brave New World, and it's immune to satire.

TV ads and political party platforms are now self-parodies. The laws we pass would make anyone not brain-damaged and desensitized from actually living in this century laugh out loud at the sheer absurdity of it all.

What would the Principia Discordia have to say about this, if it had been written yesterday? Nothing, that's what. It would be a screenshot from the front page of Foxnews.com with the caption "Fuck it." Because we don't need biting commentary or a pope card these days. All I have to do is pick up a paper or look outside my living room window to see what should be timeless classics  in the "political horror" genre, coming to sickeningly real life in the Actual God Damned World instead.

"IN THE FUTURE, SHIT WILL BE SO BAD THAT THE GOVERNMENT WILL HAVE A STOOGE ON THE OTHER END OF EVERY PHONE CALL YOU MAKE! HA HA HA!"

"SOMEDAY, YOUR HOME COULD BE RAIDED BY A SWAT TEAM JUST FOR DOING A SUSPICIOUS SEARCH ON YOUR OWN COMPUTER! HA HA HA!"

"YOU'LL BE SO PREOCCUPIED THAT WE'LL BE FIGHTING TWO GODDAMN WARS AT ONCE, AND YOU'LL HARDLY EVEN NOTICE! HA HA HA!"

"AS A PUNISHMENT FOR BEING POOR, THEY'RE GOING TO MAKE YOU EVEN MORE POOR! HA HA HA!"

"MINORITIES WILL BE SO EQUAL, THEY'LL HAVE THEIR OWN ROOM IN EVERY T.S.A. AND BORDER PATROL CHECKPOINT! HA HA HA!"

That shit should have been comedy gold, man. Instead, it's "Tuesday." And "a religion masquerading as a joke" has now become thoroughly redundant, because the words "religion" and "joke" are now synonyms. Same goes for politics and joke, diet and joke, medicine and joke, and economy and joke. In fact, the word "joke" could, in a pinch, be used as a substitute for over 95% of the words in the English language today.

In short, fuck MAL2. He wasn't a pen name, and he didn't just write a book. He was clearly a master sorcerer and the architect of the Future We Actually Got. Whizzed right past Huxley and Orwell, and conjured an actual world where everything is simultaneously permitted, prohibited, and crazy.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

GrannySmith

:horrormirth: :eek: ......
that is a very good point and at this early time in the morning i can't find anything to say about it... except  :eek:
  X  

Left

Quote from: V3X on August 04, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
Whizzed right past Huxley and Orwell, and conjured an actual world where everything is simultaneously permitted, prohibited, and crazy.

Shit, man, that's deep. 
...Our current society is proof that the law of Eristic Escalation is a true thing
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Chelagoras The Boulder

does that mean it's actually time we started trying to impose some order on all this madness?
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Left

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on August 04, 2013, 11:06:18 PM
does that mean it's actually time we started trying to impose some order on all this madness?

Imposition of order=escalation of chaos... :fnord:
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

tyrannosaurus vex

That's silly. The madness is caused by all kinds of people everywhere trying to impose order.

Pæs

Chelagoras The Boulder

Actually, i think i mixed up this thread up with this one: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,35096.0.html
but since i opened my big fat mouth any way...

Quote from: hylierandom, A.D.D. on August 04, 2013, 11:10:59 PM

Imposition of order=escalation of chaos... :fnord:
out of order comes disorder, out of disorder comes order, but no one really wants to go through a full-on bloody revolution, so it's not as though escalating disorder would lead to what we want either. I don't really have a prescription, except to say that it would be nice if we could break the American pattern of letting shit get really bad until we decide to make war on ourselves. Maybe if we could just steal money and capital from corporations on a large enough scale to make a difference. A Robin Hood revolution.... :|
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

GrannySmith

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on August 04, 2013, 11:50:20 PM

out of order comes disorder, out of disorder comes order, but no one really wants to go through a full-on bloody revolution, so it's not as though escalating disorder would lead to what we want either. I don't really have a prescription, except to say that it would be nice if we could break the American pattern of letting shit get really bad until we decide to make war on ourselves. Maybe if we could just steal money and capital from corporations on a large enough scale to make a difference. A Robin Hood revolution.... :|

How is that an american pattern? this shit is going on everywhere... and there are places where it's WAY SHITTER and noone is revolting :(
  X  

Pæs

tyrannosaurus vex

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

GrannySmith

X  

Pæs

I liked this and was going to go somewhere with a riff on it but the introduction of PD shit (no hate to those responsible) took the wind out of my sails. Will probably make a new thread if the theme hits me again.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Pæs on August 04, 2013, 11:20:42 PM
SATIRE DIED FOR YOUR SINS.

Exactly, for satire to be effective, there must be some extreme to which the thing you are satirizing will not go in order for the satire to be ridiculous by comparison. ex., running a fake celebrity tabloid story where you shame a child actress isn't funny because it's the exact kind of thing you would expect celebrity tabloids to do, therefore it shatters no expectations, fucks no minds and generates no lulz because it's indistinguishable from the terrible thing you were supposed to be undermining

This begs the question: Are we there yet? is there no extreme left? no line left in the sand we can giddily skip across?