News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

How We Protect At-Risk Kids.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 09, 2013, 03:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: V3X on August 12, 2013, 07:45:29 PM
I mean, what happened to "what you do on your own time is your thing, just don't show up at work plastered to the wall trying to operate the forklift" ?
Since when did it become my employer's business what the fuck I do when they're not paying me for my time?
Oh, right, I forgot. I'm not a person, I'm a revenue machine. I exist solely to serve the will of the assholes behind the desks in City Hall and the Executive Floor.

And to fill the pockets of CCA if you don't like it.
Molon Lube

AFK

I mean, what happened to "what you do on your own time is your thing, just don't show up at work plastered to the wall trying to operate the forklift" ?
Since when did it become my employer's business what the fuck I do when they're not paying me for my time?
Oh, right, I forgot. I'm not a person, I'm a revenue machine. I exist solely to serve the will of the assholes behind the desks in City Hall and the Executive Floor.

I wouldn't want to hire someone to operate my forklift if they have a history of driving impaired.  That's a huge ass liability in the making. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 07:53:46 PM

I wouldn't want to hire someone to operate my forklift if they have a history of driving impaired.  That's a huge ass liability in the making.

Even if they're never impaired at work?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

AFK

All other qualifications being equal between two candidates, I absolutely would want the person without the history of driving impaired. 

I mean, think about it, you hire the guy, he comes to work impaired, kills another employee with the forklift.  You think the family might scream for your head if they knew you hired a guy with that known history? 

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 12, 2013, 07:55:00 PM

Yes, because what you do outside of work, in every single case, ALWAYS equates to what you do AT work. I can't tell you how many times I've had to fire people for throwing bachelor and bachelorette parties at work, having sex with their spouses under their desks, attending baseball games at work, rebuilding engines in the conference room, etc. People just have no capacity to compartmentalize their lives.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 07:59:03 PM
All other qualifications being equal between two candidates, I absolutely would want the person without the history of driving impaired. 

I mean, think about it, you hire the guy, he comes to work impaired, kills another employee with the forklift.  You think the family might scream for your head if they knew you hired a guy with that known history?

You do understand what the word never means right?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Doktor Howl

Who said they had a history of driving impaired?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: V3X on August 12, 2013, 08:02:09 PM
Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 12, 2013, 07:55:00 PM

Yes, because what you do outside of work, in every single case, ALWAYS equates to what you do AT work. I can't tell you how many times I've had to fire people for throwing bachelor and bachelorette parties at work, having sex with their spouses under their desks, attending baseball games at work, rebuilding engines in the conference room, etc. People just have no capacity to compartmentalize their lives.

You have to remember that RWHN stopped thinking 4 years ago.  If you offer him a scenario that doesn't agree with his worldview, he will just build a strawman and argue with it.

But getting him to admit that records ARE kept was priceless.
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

AFK

Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 12, 2013, 08:06:52 PM

Do you understand the meaning of the word risk?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 08:19:04 PM
Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 12, 2013, 08:06:52 PM

Do you understand the meaning of the word risk?

Based on that, you should be fired because you drink beer now and again.

The risk is simply too high.
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2013, 07:29:39 PM
Quote from: V3X on August 12, 2013, 07:28:30 PM
Will identifying fingerprint (or DNA) information about the subject collected during this legal non-event be retained and accessible against future investigations? Will the subject be compensated for lost work or emotional distress? Will there be a law in place prohibiting employers or schools from taking punitive action against the subject for missing time?

See, I'm calling bullshit on "no records kept".

Let's see the little stoner get a security clearance 10 years later.  Ain't happening.

I know people who had problems because of juvenile records, which are theoretically "sealed".
I've also seen letters saying that said records can be expunged in court, for a (not cheap) price.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Doktor Howl

Quote from: stelz on August 12, 2013, 08:23:03 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2013, 07:29:39 PM
Quote from: V3X on August 12, 2013, 07:28:30 PM
Will identifying fingerprint (or DNA) information about the subject collected during this legal non-event be retained and accessible against future investigations? Will the subject be compensated for lost work or emotional distress? Will there be a law in place prohibiting employers or schools from taking punitive action against the subject for missing time?

See, I'm calling bullshit on "no records kept".

Let's see the little stoner get a security clearance 10 years later.  Ain't happening.

I know people who had problems because of juvenile records, which are theoretically "sealed".
I've also seen letters saying that said records can be expunged in court, for a (not cheap) price.

Again, the funny part was getting RWHN to admit that records are in fact kept.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2013, 07:07:17 PM
Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 12, 2013, 07:05:53 PM
Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 06:53:15 PM
Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 12, 2013, 06:41:05 PM
So the only reason that alcohol won't be banned in the US is because of lobbyists, and not because we tried that and found that Prohibition didn't work?

It's the reason a proposal would never make it to a point where you could even discuss the merits of the proposal.

But no one would make the proposal in the first place, because Prohibition didn't work.

Hobbyists fucked everything up.  :(

I keep telling people, it's those shitnecks on Etsy with their creative repurposed reclaimed upcycled fabric arts who "just want to cover their costs" who are ruining everything for everyone else.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: YOUR Social Science Thinkmonkey on August 12, 2013, 08:24:30 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2013, 07:07:17 PM
Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 12, 2013, 07:05:53 PM
Quote from: The End on August 12, 2013, 06:53:15 PM
Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 12, 2013, 06:41:05 PM
So the only reason that alcohol won't be banned in the US is because of lobbyists, and not because we tried that and found that Prohibition didn't work?

It's the reason a proposal would never make it to a point where you could even discuss the merits of the proposal.

But no one would make the proposal in the first place, because Prohibition didn't work.

Hobbyists fucked everything up.  :(

I keep telling people, it's those shitnecks on Etsy with their creative repurposed reclaimed upcycled fabric arts who "just want to cover their costs" who are ruining everything for everyone else.

Upcycled?  What's that?
Molon Lube