News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

I love Miley Cyrus

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 10, 2013, 08:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 12, 2013, 05:48:15 PM
In furtherance of that:

Target audience for Justin Beiber, boy-bands, etc:  11-15 year old girls.

Given.  However:

Target audience for Miley Cyrus, Britteny Spears, etc:  35-45 year old men in mid-life crisis mode.

Contrasted with:

Pink, Beyonce, Lady Gaga:  35-45 year old men not in mid-life crisis mode.

Interesting note:  The difference in style between the two types of female pop stars.  The former are expected to act like bad little girls who need some private spanking.  The latter are expected to act like the woman you want on your arm when going to a wild party.

You hurt my head with that. You Bastard.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Faust

In furtherance of that:

Given.  However:

Target audience for Miley Cyrus, Britteny Spears, etc:  35-45 year old men in mid-life crisis mode.

Contrasted with:

Interesting note:  The difference in style between the two types of female pop stars.  The former are expected to act like bad little girls who need some private spanking.  The latter are expected to act like the woman you want on your arm when going to a wild party.

Someone you would be willing to introduce to the queen?

And judging by that outfit the picture was taken a few hours before she went out to KILL THE BATMAN.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on September 12, 2013, 05:52:19 PM
In furtherance of that:

Given.  However:

Contrasted with:

Someone you would be willing to introduce to the queen?

And judging by that outfit the picture was taken a few hours before she went out to KILL THE BATMAN.

Both sets are expected/required to be "outrageous".  The difference is the target audience.

Pink's U and Ur Hand was NOT aimed at the crowd wanting a teenaged something something. 

Contrast that with Britney Spear's Oops, I did it again.

It's pretty blatant, when you stop and look.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on September 12, 2013, 05:42:11 PM
So, I just realized that this HAS been done before.

Not Madonna and Britney and what have you, because they were still attempting to be sexy even if they failed.

No, this is the act that Amy Sedaris did, with the pop-star twist. This is being GROSS on purpose.

Can I just point out that Amy Sedaris is FUCKING AWESOME?

Lord Cataplanga

Quote from: Faust on September 12, 2013, 05:43:20 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 12, 2013, 05:28:24 PM

2.  Package a new piece, but leave a crucial bit out.  You have to not care what your audience/customers think of you at this point.

3.  Run the program.  People see the meme, they're conditioned for it, but then it doesn't go in the manner for which they've been conditioned.  It goes off the rails.  They get upset, and they don't know why.

I buy that.

And  by that logic, microsoft have been trolling their audience for decades.

Can you elaborate? Are you talking about the small but irritating changes in user interfaces of widely used software products over time?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on September 12, 2013, 05:50:12 PM
In furtherance of that:

Given.  However:

Contrasted with:

It's Goddamn fascinating, is what it is.  Marketing is a fucking insidious thing, because you can't see it if you don't look, and most people won't look.  Hell, NOBODY looks all the time.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

In fact, people don't WANT to look.  They want to get what they expect.  Which is why I think this particular set of events has garnered so much hate/anger.

The stage was all set.  And then instead of sexytime, they got "circus freak" (at the VMAs), and then "Bend over, buddy, I got my strap on" in Wrecking Ball.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 12, 2013, 05:56:47 PM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on September 12, 2013, 05:42:11 PM
So, I just realized that this HAS been done before.

Not Madonna and Britney and what have you, because they were still attempting to be sexy even if they failed.

No, this is the act that Amy Sedaris did, with the pop-star twist. This is being GROSS on purpose.

Can I just point out that Amy Sedaris is FUCKING AWESOME?

YES YOU CAN.

I didn't like her stuff until I spent more time reading about why she did it, and I'm realizing now that the Miley thing was hitting those same buttons in my head. It's GROSS. I don't WANNA look at that. You're totally pretty, why not stop being all GROSS and SHUT UP? Tina Fey does it too, sometimes, but she never took it to the wall as hard as this.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on September 12, 2013, 05:50:12 PM
In furtherance of that:

Given.  However:

Contrasted with:

At least you looked.   :lulz:

Everyone else was, in one way or another, forced to deflect or change the subject, which I find fucking FASCINATING as hell.

LMNO

In furtherance of that:

Given.  However:

Contrasted with:

Pink, Beyonce, Lady Gaga:  35-45 year old men not in mid-life crisis mode.  And gay men.

Just adding on.  Some queens will dig Britney because ironic train wreck, but they do so at arm's length.

The Good Reverend Roger

I mean:

"HERE'S HOW THE MANIPULATION IS TARGETED."

Posts immediately afterward:

"Ouch!"

"Here's Lady Gaga being an ass in front of the queen."

"Someone say Amy Sedaris?"

"YES, AMY SEDARIS!"

25% of posts looking at manipulation.

75% of posts quickly looking away from the puppet strings.

And 100% of the posts, the entire set, are from people who are all extremely intelligent.

THERE'S SOMETHING LURKING IN THE WATER, HERE.  Gotta find out what it is.

TGRR,
I AM AHAB.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 12, 2013, 06:11:01 PM
In furtherance of that:

Given.  However:

Contrasted with:

Pink, Beyonce, Lady Gaga:  35-45 year old men not in mid-life crisis mode.  And gay men.

Just adding on.  Some queens will dig Britney because ironic train wreck, but they do so at arm's length.

Sure.  And I bet some of Britney's fans were males between 14-18.  But that's not where the industry has their crosshairs.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Post was in progress when you put up your puppet strings one.

I think you're probably right, but I feel there's a grosser part about "dads of teenaged daughters" that's in there somewhere, and I don't want to look at it because GROSS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Funny thing is, the deflection could have just been "timing", but you see it all the time on LOADS of different subjects, politics in particular.

So there's one level of marketing, right?  "HERE, TARGET AUDIENCE, HAVE SOME CHEESE."

Then there's another level of marketing, perhaps?  "DO NOT LOOK AT THE MARKETERS."

Like the Wizard of Oz, Yeah?  Only competent and very subtle?

Just the beginnings of a hypothesis, here.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on September 12, 2013, 06:18:34 PM
Post was in progress when you put up your puppet strings one.

I think you're probably right, but I feel there's a grosser part about "dads of teenaged daughters" that's in there somewhere, and I don't want to look at it because GROSS.

See my post immediately before this one.

Instilling the urge to avoid looking behind the vinyl is part of the process.