Main Menu

I love Miley Cyrus

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 10, 2013, 08:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on September 12, 2013, 06:40:35 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 12, 2013, 06:37:27 PM
Quote from: Kai on September 12, 2013, 06:33:06 PM
Roger, these revelations are giving me a giggling headache.

So, basically, Miley Cyrus is in the "creepy 40 year old men" business, which is a hush hush secret. Or at least she was (and it was), until she jumped ship. And now that contingent doesn't want anything to do with her because she revealed their dirty dirty secret. That to me makes me think she was in charge of it all and understands exactly what she is doing. She decided she wanted a different sort of audience, so she ruined her current demographic. Beautiful.

Oh, they want something to do with her.  They want to makes sure everyone knows she's a DIRTY LITTLE WHORE who has BETRAYED them their teenage children. by tearing back the vinyl ACTING LIKE A TOTAL SLUT.

And it's my opinion that she did this on purpose.  By which I meant, "she deliberately attacked her target demographic", rather than "She went all skanky".  Because that wasn't skanky, it was gross (VMAs), and potentially terrifying (Wrecking Ball)...

...And the FUNNIEST BIT IS, the type of person offended can't admit even to themselves why they are offended, because it's fucking PEDO BEAR (which she thoughtfully included in the VMA act).

I don't understand how more people aren't tipped off by the Pedobears. It's like a giant middle finger. Actually, the whole VMA show is like a giant middle finger. "Here, let me destroy all those nasty fantasies you have with me.  8)"

That was my take.  The tongue thing was absolutely grotesque.  I am personally convinced that was exactly her intent.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Alty on September 12, 2013, 06:40:46 PM
Thing about Britney is, she never had a chance. Her family wasn't in show business, her family was in the "Let's make this smattering of my DNA count." She was set in motion when she was 3 years old.

She also happens to be an idiot.

Miley Cyrus MAY be an idiot, I don't know enough to say. But she doesn't have to be because Britney was, is. Madonna is kind of an idiot, but Kabblah happens to the best of us. But here we have a young woman in the 21st Century, a new human being in a very interestinf and information heavy time in humanity's run.

Why is it so far fetched, for some, that she might be different.

Alty,
Still hasn't watched shit.

It's a Goddamn train wreck, Alty.  It's like watching the Titanic back up for another run at the iceberg.  It's like watching Michael Dukakis in the "tank commercial", only if he had NO INTENTION of winning the election.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 12, 2013, 06:41:43 PM

So, basically, Miley Cyrus is in the "creepy 40 year old men" business, which is a hush hush secret. Or at least she was (and it was), until she jumped ship. And now that contingent doesn't want anything to do with her because she revealed their dirty dirty secret. That to me makes me think she was in charge of it all and understands exactly what she is doing. She decided she wanted a different sort of audience, so she ruined her current demographic. Beautiful.

Oh, they want something to do with her.  They want to makes sure everyone knows she's a DIRTY LITTLE WHORE who has BETRAYED them their teenage children. by tearing back the vinyl ACTING LIKE A TOTAL SLUT.

And it's my opinion that she did this on purpose.  By which I meant, "she deliberately attacked her target demographic", rather than "She went all skanky".  Because that wasn't skanky, it was gross (VMAs), and potentially terrifying (Wrecking Ball)...

...And the FUNNIEST BIT IS, the type of person offended can't admit even to themselves why they are offended, because it's fucking PEDO BEAR (which she thoughtfully included in the VMA act).

I don't understand how more people aren't tipped off by the Pedobears. It's like a giant middle finger. Actually, the whole VMA show is like a giant middle finger. "Here, let me destroy all those nasty fantasies you have with me.  8)"

That was my take.  The tongue thing was absolutely grotesque.  I am personally convinced that was exactly her intent.

The Beetlejuice. THE BEETLEJUICE!!!! A perfect representation/avatar of the creepers and how she sees them. Oh god, that's GLORIOUS.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Q. G. Pennyworth

You have to wear the purity rings because that's how we can sell sex to little girls, haha!
                                                                                            /

And honestly LMNO, that WAS marketed to teenage girls. Because if teenage girls don't embrace that shit they won't be available sexually for guys. Because teenage girls WANT to be all grown up and absolutely have crazy hormones all over the place and real sexual interests way before we as a society are cool with it, so you have to shoehorn them into this "OKAY YOU CAN WANT SEX BUT YOU HAVE TO BE A BAD GIRL" thing.

AND as light finally dawns and I can see why this flavor of the GROSS game is freaking me out when the other ones don't so much, Miley is (intentionally or no) taking on the same pretty privilege as other female comedians, but adding in the overtly sexual angle. Where Tina Fey or Amy Sedaris play characters that are asexual or fumblingly sexual even as adults, Miley is playing FUCK YOU I'LL DO WHAT I WANT AND IF I WANT TO SUCK DICK THAT'S MY CHOICE, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT YOU FIND SEXY. It is shameless, in the most literal interpretation of the word. She is rejecting her conventional beauty as a measuring rod for her value as a human being (which I love when other people do it) but then she is INSISTING that she gets to REMAIN A SEXUAL BEING while she's out there being ugly.

and like ten replies went up while I was writing this, which I haven't read.  :digtbk2:

Salty

It's easy to assume all female pop stars are the same, just as easy it is to assume all  discordians are the same, or all sci fi writers are the same, etc.

Why would you do that? Why would a brand new person HAVE to have the same intentions as those that came before?
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

LMNO

I don't understand how more people aren't tipped off by the Pedobears.

I don't have solid numbers on this, but I have a feeling that the majority of America doesn't know what a pedobear is.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 12, 2013, 06:26:00 PM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on September 12, 2013, 06:22:08 PM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on September 12, 2013, 06:18:34 PM
Post was in progress when you put up your puppet strings one.

I think you're probably right, but I feel there's a grosser part about "dads of teenaged daughters" that's in there somewhere, and I don't want to look at it because GROSS.

Here's a version of the GROSS from back in the day: http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-father-takes-one-more-look-at-liner-notes-of,3472/

QuoteJEFFERSON CITY, MO–Marv Reynolds, 42, father of 11-year-old Ashley, slipped into his daughter's bedroom for one more look at the liner notes to her Britney Spears album Monday. "Just like to see what my daughter's into these days," said Reynolds, perusing the photo-packed booklet accompanying Spears' Oops!...I Did It Again for the fourth time in as many days.

Glad I'm not the only person to see this.   :lulz:

I mean, it's pretty obvious.  And it's also obvious why most people won't look at the manipulation.

Britney Spears was once asked about how she feels about "all the 40 year olds in the front row".  Her response was "I try not to think about them."

Three weeks later, her "first career" was over, and the reporter who asked the question was reassigned away from music entertainment, and then terminated a few months later.  Which may have been a series of coincidences.  You decide.

How did I miss that?
Oh yeah..."Britney. Tune it out/skip it/not relevant."
Wow.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on September 12, 2013, 06:45:19 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 12, 2013, 06:41:43 PM

The Beetlejuice. THE BEETLEJUICE!!!! A perfect representation/avatar of the creepers and how she sees them. Oh god, that's GLORIOUS.

How could anyone take it any other way?  She may as well have hung up a sign.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on September 12, 2013, 06:45:48 PM
You have to wear the purity rings because that's how we can sell sex to little girls, haha!
                                                                                            /

And honestly LMNO, that WAS marketed to teenage girls. Because if teenage girls don't embrace that shit they won't be available sexually for guys. Because teenage girls WANT to be all grown up and absolutely have crazy hormones all over the place and real sexual interests way before we as a society are cool with it, so you have to shoehorn them into this "OKAY YOU CAN WANT SEX BUT YOU HAVE TO BE A BAD GIRL" thing.

AND as light finally dawns and I can see why this flavor of the GROSS game is freaking me out when the other ones don't so much, Miley is (intentionally or no) taking on the same pretty privilege as other female comedians, but adding in the overtly sexual angle. Where Tina Fey or Amy Sedaris play characters that are asexual or fumblingly sexual even as adults, Miley is playing FUCK YOU I'LL DO WHAT I WANT AND IF I WANT TO SUCK DICK THAT'S MY CHOICE, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT YOU FIND SEXY. It is shameless, in the most literal interpretation of the word. She is rejecting her conventional beauty as a measuring rod for her value as a human being (which I love when other people do it) but then she is INSISTING that she gets to REMAIN A SEXUAL BEING while she's out there being ugly.

and like ten replies went up while I was writing this, which I haven't read.  :digtbk2:

Yeah, when you think of "shameless" THAT way, it's a virtue.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 12, 2013, 05:09:16 PM
Quote from: stelz on September 12, 2013, 05:07:49 PM
Quote from: Cainad on September 12, 2013, 01:53:48 AM
Have you ever known the way little kids like to hear the same stories over and over? They love it, and they'll eagerly listen to the same stupid thing hundreds of times.

But have you also seen what happens when you tell the story wrong? You'd think the fucking barbarians were at the gates.

Ever done it on purpose just to get a rise out of 'em?

Miley is telling the story wrong. She's messed up the good part, too!

Quote from: Placid Dingo on September 12, 2013, 01:46:47 AM
It's kind of like the spectacle as the artwork. It goes beyond the performance.

Like an artist painting a black canvas hiding inside with a camera to film audience reaction. The interaction is the artwork.

I may be going too deep with this.

I was just going to say something like this. The reaction is part of the art, and this is a masterpiece. It's one thing when avant-garde arthouse nerds try to outrage people with their weird art, but Miley is painting with the biggest damn canvas she can find.

YES.

NOT THE POINT.

She is a female.  Nigel is ALSO a female, posting about said female.

This makes RWHN a sad panda.  :(

It must be stopped.  Failing that, it must be dismissed.

Well, it WAS the point last night, before the thread ended up chasing it's own tail.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on September 12, 2013, 07:30:30 PM
Well, it WAS the point last night, before the thread ended up chasing it's own tail.

Fun begins again on page 13.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 12, 2013, 06:54:05 PM
I don't understand how more people aren't tipped off by the Pedobears.

I don't have solid numbers on this, but I have a feeling that the majority of America doesn't know what a pedobear is.

I'll bet that most people watching the VMAs do, though.

LMNO

I don't follow.  How would creepy middle-aged guys know about a 4Chan meme?

Cain

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 12, 2013, 08:15:15 PM
I don't follow.  How would creepy middle-aged guys know about a 4Chan meme?

Creepy middle aged guy, nothing going for him in life, no girlfriend probably, spends hours a day working a menial office job he hates...what are the chances he doesn't know about 4chan?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 12, 2013, 04:33:17 PM
Something to note:  Functionally, it doesn't matter if Miley thought all this through as a way to subvert the paradigm by role-reversal and peeling the mask back on the tawdry exploitation of the media machine.

She did it anyway.  Which kind of makes it more glorious, in a way.

If it's unconscious/unintentional, it's an even greater win, because it means she didn't even have to TRY, it just happened. And that's huge!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."