News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

I love Miley Cyrus

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 10, 2013, 08:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 04, 2013, 07:19:42 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on October 04, 2013, 07:18:33 PM
Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on October 04, 2013, 05:18:51 AM
Aging pop-star meltdown ensues as O'Connor writes another open letter to Cyrus, who hasn't said anything at all but repost some old O'Connor attention-whoring: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/10/sinead_oconnor_4.html

She's shrill, nasty and vindictive, makes vague threats, uses the word "unbecoming", and is essentially anything but mature. It's trainwrecky. She's actually engaging in a power-struggle that is bound to end in humiliation. I have never thought O'Connor was a particularly intelligent woman, although I did lover her music when I was young, and I'm quite certain she's nowhere close to as smart as Cyrus is, so I predict this will not end well.

Speaking of "unbecoming", a 47-year-old woman inciting a feud with a 20-year-old is... pathetic.

Celebs probably shouldn't given unsolicited advice to people they don't know if they aren't prepared for the likely response to be "fuck yourself".

Well, this is another example of "pee-stained dentures".  O'Connor feels that her sense of seniority has been violated.

Bingo.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 04, 2013, 09:04:52 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 04, 2013, 08:57:13 PM
I don't really know, or care, how this fits in with the thread's theme, but this review is fantastic.

Regardless of its opinion, it's just a great piece of writing.

http://www.letoilemagazine.com/2013/10/02/we-will-rock-you-miley-cyrus-new-record-is-fucking-horrible/

:lulz:

That guy is awesome.

I laughed pretty hard right up until I got to the part where it's another incensed middle-aged man determined to deny that the little girl did it on purpose:

QuoteI am assuming the people who made this thing were professionals. Right? I briefly considered that maybe it was a joke, and that the joke was on Miley — that she assembled a team of producers who all got together at night over beers at Applebees and said "look, Miley wants to sound "urban" on this thing. We all know that's a terrible idea, right? So let's make the worst possible album for her, and just tell her it's "Dirty South" and maybe she's so clueless that she won't notice, and then we'll all meet back here in a month and laugh our asses off at the stupid blonde girl." And maybe that is what happened, but I think more likely it's a case of a bunch of producers — a bunch of them, there's like twenty of them credited — all trying to piece together a thing, and letting the twenty-year-old make too many creative decisions along the way, and then ten other people weighed in with ideas, and nobody ever told anybody no at any stage of the game, and probably they whooped it up with cocaine and "molly" at various points in the process, and what they ended up with was just a piece of shit mess, and because it sounded a little bit black, Miley was overjoyed and — just like in the joke scenario — failed to notice how terrible it was. And because the other guys got paid, and drove off in their expensive cars, even if they did notice it was fuck-awful, nobody ever told her. And then a bunch of executives figured "well, there's a couple of useable singles, and it'll sell a million copies before people notice it fucking sucks, so who cares — let's just crank this thing out and hope for the best and maybe she'll grind on someone else's penis on an awards show and we'll sell a few extra copies that day." In other words: this is "art" made by a committee on the most cynical level, trumpeted by a desperate industry who are also operating on the most cynical level at this point, and sung and performed by a very young, clueless, artless person who doesn't realize what she's doing on anything but the absolute basest level but has absolute free reign to indulge her every possible whim in an attempt to be "authentically urban."

Then I stopped laughing.

But the cover is fucking BRILLIANT.  :lol:

And then some more desperate scrambling to discount Cyrus and deny that the problem is that actually, he doesn't get it because he's the butt of the joke:

QuoteThis disaster could have been avoided. Miley Cyrus has talent — I've heard her sing well before, there's evidence out there. She is, however, also two other things: a) twenty years old and b) not the fucking Beatles. Let's call a spade a spade here — she's a medium-talented pretty blonde girl, interchangeable with about four million other medium-talented pretty blonde girls.

Let's look at that cover again, shall we?

And his comment on it:

QuoteDoes this version of the album cover give off a grossly pedophaelic vibe to anybody else? Like maybe it's styled so she looks like a naked fourteen-year-old boy? GAHHH. Gross.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

For all I know, it might actually BE terrible. It wouldn't be the first time a young person's first solo album was terrible. But starting with his critique of the album cover, the whole review was basically him screeching because HE'S supposed to be the target audience for a young female pop star but her album ISN'T ABOUT HIM AT ALL, it isn't even PRETTY, it makes him feel CREEPY and besides it was made by a TALENTLESS LITTLE GIRL WHO ISN'T EVEN REALLY IN CHARGE. :lol:

I'll be curious to find out how her actual target audience, which doesn't seem to be teenage girls at all, but late teens/early 20's women, responds to it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on October 04, 2013, 07:18:33 PM
Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on October 04, 2013, 05:18:51 AM
Aging pop-star meltdown ensues as O'Connor writes another open letter to Cyrus, who hasn't said anything at all but repost some old O'Connor attention-whoring: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/10/sinead_oconnor_4.html

She's shrill, nasty and vindictive, makes vague threats, uses the word "unbecoming", and is essentially anything but mature. It's trainwrecky. She's actually engaging in a power-struggle that is bound to end in humiliation. I have never thought O'Connor was a particularly intelligent woman, although I did lover her music when I was young, and I'm quite certain she's nowhere close to as smart as Cyrus is, so I predict this will not end well.

Speaking of "unbecoming", a 47-year-old woman inciting a feud with a 20-year-old is... pathetic.

Celebs probably shouldn't given unsolicited advice to people they don't know if they aren't prepared for the likely response to be "fuck yourself".

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm with LMNO.  I don't agree with the guy, I just love his turn of phrase.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on October 04, 2013, 09:44:42 PM
For all I know, it might actually BE terrible. It wouldn't be the first time a young person's first solo album was terrible. But starting with his critique of the album cover, the whole review was basically him screeching because HE'S supposed to be the target audience for a young female pop star but her album ISN'T ABOUT HIM AT ALL, it isn't even PRETTY, it makes him feel CREEPY and besides it was made by a TALENTLESS LITTLE GIRL WHO ISN'T EVEN REALLY IN CHARGE. :lol:

I'll be curious to find out how her actual target audience, which doesn't seem to be teenage girls at all, but late teens/early 20's women, responds to it.

Industry-wise, he IS the target.  Look at the other artists he spends time gushing about.  Brittney Spears.  Taylor Swift.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Frankly, Miley Cyrus's voice puts me right up a tree.

But that isn't the point.

Don Coyote

I want to listen to it because the way he describes it is the way some woman poets could be described. and I think have been described in the 50s and 60s.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 04, 2013, 09:58:50 PM

Industry-wise, he IS the target.  Look at the other artists he spends time gushing about.  Brittney Spears.  Taylor Swift.

Yeah, but as we've discussed before in this thread and in the last one, that's exactly why people are freaking out so hard, is because she peeled back the vinyl. He's just doing more of the same. He's doing it in a funny way, but if you actually read what he's saying, he's still basically just throwing a fit because it isn't about him, and working himself up in a froth of denial that she could have done that on purpose.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 04, 2013, 10:02:39 PM
I want to listen to it because the way he describes it is the way some woman poets could be described. and I think have been described in the 50s and 60s.

YEP.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's very very bad and it's awful and she'd just a little GIRL and she couldn't have done this on purpose, she doesn't know what she was doing and it's all her producers' faults for letting her get her frivolous little way too much! Plus also it's bad, and it makes me feel uncomfortable, and she didn't even have the manners to be PRETTY even though the cover is clearly styled after a fashion that was last popular when I was an adolescent!

Something is very very wrong here, I must trivialize it IMMEDIATELY.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Can we just revisit the sheer genius that is the cover, again?

Given the recurring pedo/creep theme that runs through her recent work, I think we should linger over this a bit. It's completely deliberate, she's said as much, so in that light:

Miami Vice-like stylings and color theme that were all the rage when men who are now middle-aged were young. In fact, this album cover reminds me so much of something from my youth that I anticipate finding that it was directly modeled off one from the 80's. Miley Cyrus posed, naked, unsexy, challenging the viewer, looking both boyish (a bit like Justin Beiber) and MUCH younger than her actual age. So she's combining a bunch of factors in a way that could only result in men who are way too old to be viewing her as a sex object being made incredibly uncomfortable. She's basically saying, you were my age 15-20 years ago, and YOU ARE A CREEP. Meanwhile, girls her age aren't going to get any of that vibe at all, but middle-aged men (and probably some women) are going to be deeply butthurt about it, and possibly not even know that it's because she's hitting them in their mortality and in their middle-aged denial while saying "this isn't for you".

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 04, 2013, 09:11:49 PM
"Like a clown farting."

Not what the writer intended, but that line actually SELLS the album.
After seeing that, I HAVE to get it.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on October 04, 2013, 09:34:22 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 04, 2013, 09:04:52 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 04, 2013, 08:57:13 PM
I don't really know, or care, how this fits in with the thread's theme, but this review is fantastic.

Regardless of its opinion, it's just a great piece of writing.

http://www.letoilemagazine.com/2013/10/02/we-will-rock-you-miley-cyrus-new-record-is-fucking-horrible/

That guy is awesome.

I laughed pretty hard right up until I got to the part where it's another incensed middle-aged man determined to deny that the little girl did it on purpose:

QuoteI am assuming the people who made this thing were professionals. Right? I briefly considered that maybe it was a joke, and that the joke was on Miley — that she assembled a team of producers who all got together at night over beers at Applebees and said "look, Miley wants to sound "urban" on this thing. We all know that's a terrible idea, right? So let's make the worst possible album for her, and just tell her it's "Dirty South" and maybe she's so clueless that she won't notice, and then we'll all meet back here in a month and laugh our asses off at the stupid blonde girl." And maybe that is what happened, but I think more likely it's a case of a bunch of producers — a bunch of them, there's like twenty of them credited — all trying to piece together a thing, and letting the twenty-year-old make too many creative decisions along the way, and then ten other people weighed in with ideas, and nobody ever told anybody no at any stage of the game, and probably they whooped it up with cocaine and "molly" at various points in the process, and what they ended up with was just a piece of shit mess, and because it sounded a little bit black, Miley was overjoyed and — just like in the joke scenario — failed to notice how terrible it was. And because the other guys got paid, and drove off in their expensive cars, even if they did notice it was fuck-awful, nobody ever told her. And then a bunch of executives figured "well, there's a couple of useable singles, and it'll sell a million copies before people notice it fucking sucks, so who cares — let's just crank this thing out and hope for the best and maybe she'll grind on someone else's penis on an awards show and we'll sell a few extra copies that day." In other words: this is "art" made by a committee on the most cynical level, trumpeted by a desperate industry who are also operating on the most cynical level at this point, and sung and performed by a very young, clueless, artless person who doesn't realize what she's doing on anything but the absolute basest level but has absolute free reign to indulge her every possible whim in an attempt to be "authentically urban."

Then I stopped laughing.

But the cover is fucking BRILLIANT.  :lol:

And then some more desperate scrambling to discount Cyrus and deny that the problem is that actually, he doesn't get it because he's the butt of the joke:

QuoteThis disaster could have been avoided. Miley Cyrus has talent — I've heard her sing well before, there's evidence out there. She is, however, also two other things: a) twenty years old and b) not the fucking Beatles. Let's call a spade a spade here — she's a medium-talented pretty blonde girl, interchangeable with about four million other medium-talented pretty blonde girls.

Let's look at that cover again, shall we?

And his comment on it:

QuoteDoes this version of the album cover give off a grossly pedophaelic vibe to anybody else? Like maybe it's styled so she looks like a naked fourteen-year-old boy? GAHHH. Gross.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

The proof is in the pudding "GAHHH. Gross." 
I want to fistbump Miley SO BAD right now.  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Anna Mae Bollocks

The lead in with the "I like pop, I like Madonna, etc." kind of reminded me of "some of my best friends are..."

ETA: And yes. 80's cover, guy hair...but not Annie Lennox, oooooh, no... :lol: