OPEN BAR: it rubs the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again

Started by Salty, February 02, 2014, 03:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I still need to start a Tumblr account to post the "Alien Anthropology" stuff we came up with.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 12, 2014, 03:53:04 PM
I still need to start a Tumblr account to post the "Alien Anthropology" stuff we came up with.

Well, the original bit was a screen cap of a gaming blog.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

The funny died in the news thread.  New guy couldn't stop trying to one-up, at the expense of the satire.

Everything is a dominance game, here in Fat City.  Even jokes making fun of dominance games.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

The first rule of improv is "Yes, and" not "No, but".

Same holds true for riffing.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 12, 2014, 04:02:10 PM
The first rule of improv is "Yes, and" not "No, but".

Same holds true for riffing.

Yep.  You're supposed to take the previous post and make things more horribe/weird, not explain why the previous post was invalid.

LMNO

Imagine if someone took the Spiders thread and said, "You don't understand, spiders are messengers from a Loving God as messengers of happiness and light," and meant it seriously.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 12, 2014, 04:06:29 PM
Imagine if someone took the Spiders thread and said, "You don't understand, spiders are messengers from a Loving God as messengers of happiness and light," and meant it seriously.

Yep.

Or offered the name of a good psychologist.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 12, 2014, 03:35:56 PM
Quote from: Nobody understands birds on March 12, 2014, 03:27:30 PM
Well, especially because I was just over there on Monday bringing her dessert and telling her that I'm just barely holding it together.

Balls.  Nigel is made out of 440C stainless steel, and has tungsten for nerves.

:lol:

Nigel's eyelashes fall out when she's stressed.

Nigel's eyes are currently approaching baldness.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 12, 2014, 03:44:20 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 12, 2014, 03:42:37 PM
WHOSE MYTHOS WILL PREVAIL?

Weaponized Apes don't care, really.  We just want to hit shit until it stops moving.

Ever wonder why we never see any signs of aliens?  Huh?  THINK ABOUT IT.  If YOU lived next door to US, YOU wouldn't make a peep, EITHER.  Until you could grab your shit and MOVE TO A BETTER NEIGHBORHOOD.

I always figured aliens would take one look at us and be all NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nobody understands birds on March 12, 2014, 04:34:58 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 12, 2014, 03:44:20 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 12, 2014, 03:42:37 PM
WHOSE MYTHOS WILL PREVAIL?

Weaponized Apes don't care, really.  We just want to hit shit until it stops moving.

Ever wonder why we never see any signs of aliens?  Huh?  THINK ABOUT IT.  If YOU lived next door to US, YOU wouldn't make a peep, EITHER.  Until you could grab your shit and MOVE TO A BETTER NEIGHBORHOOD.

I always figured aliens would take one look at us and be all NOPE NOPE NOPE.

They can hear our radio.

She said her name was Emergency and asked to see my gun
Said her telephone number was 911
Got brother Jimmy on the TV, Killer on the stereo
She said, "If you want to get it you got to let it go"

...And they want to come to the party.  But then they catch our broadcasts, 68 years time lag, and they're all like "Let's just grab our shit, say fuck the lease, and move way the hell out to another arm of the galaxy."

Cain

Quote from: Nobody understands birds on March 12, 2014, 04:33:20 PM
28 more chemistry problems.

Incidentally, this is what I like about the higher end undergrad and postgrad courses.  No more constant tests of your patience and ability to read the source material.  If you didn't do the reading, well then that's a gap in your knowledge and you are to blame.  Sure will suck if you need to know any of that.

Conversely, if you really know the stuff you need to in order to get the work on the graded pieces, you don't have to jump through hoops for anything else.  Which is why I'm skipping this week's required reading...that and I read it two years ago.

But then, it seems American and British higher education are quite a bit different anyway (British seems much more specialized...the American system seems to require a broader range of study topics, such as maths classes etc), so maybe that difference isn't one you'll see so much of either.

The only stipulation on my choices were: no timetable clashes, and they had to be drawn from the Arts Faculty (for the purposes of module choice, Psychology is considered both an Art and a Science.  Which funnily enough, I agree with).  I could have done Russian, or Anthropology, or History (I shoulda done more History) or literature. 

My impression is that in the American system it is far more prescriptive, as in you must have x amount of credits in maths or a language or whatever.