News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: It's actually about ethics in fictional bars

Started by EK WAFFLR, August 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Don Coyote on September 10, 2015, 03:03:36 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 10, 2015, 02:54:14 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 09, 2015, 11:28:08 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 09, 2015, 11:11:08 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 09, 2015, 10:26:33 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 09, 2015, 09:12:07 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 09, 2015, 07:21:23 PM
Found a problem with the LO formatting.  I don't say "THE" problem, because there will be more.

But my frustration levels have decreased.

That's good news! What was the specific problem you found?

Somehow, two elipses got stuck in a smaller font, and wouldn't respond to control-A/font change.

I deleted them and restructured.

Is an elipse a form of punctuation?

Yeah,  it's this  --->  "..."
Well then! So "quotes" is referred to as an elipse. Never knew, thanks.

Not sure if it's the fever, but that kinda looks like an unimpressed skull face.
Like Death was saying "Meh."

I got some writing done on a distinctly Discordian idea I jotted down months ago.
I just set to writing a story rather than elaborating the idea. I'm almost done with it,  but have to try the sleep thing again. I call it Apocrypha Discordia. I'll open a thread and dump what I have so far. Hope you guys like it.

The three dots inside the quotation marks...

OHH! Thanks! I'm not so good brain right now.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Found a problem with the LO formatting.  I don't say "THE" problem, because there will be more.

Somehow, two elipses got stuck in a smaller font, and wouldn't respond to control-A/font change.

Not sure if it's the fever, but that kinda looks like an unimpressed skull face.

I got some writing done on a distinctly Discordian idea I jotted down months ago.
I just set to writing a story rather than elaborating the idea. I'm almost done with it,  but have to try the sleep thing again. I call it Apocrypha Discordia. I'll open a thread and dump what I have so far. Hope you guys like it.

No.  It's the ... part that's the elipse.
Molon Lube

minuspace

Don't know if this is directly relevant, yet it sprung to mind:
QuoteDarkwing
12-22-2010, 08:37 AM
I always put one space between each period in the ellipses. It's the proper formatting (as far as I know) and it stops Word from wreaking havoc with its little substitutions.
Keeping one space between each allows your eventual publisher to typeset it properly. I've heard this is also the reason writers should just use "--" for the em dash instead of allowing Word to substitute a "real" em dash.

Just one of the many reasons the English department at my university hates Word. >.< The little condensed dots also happen to be wrong for MLA format.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 10, 2015, 03:32:17 AM

No.  It's the ... part that's the elipse.

Yeah man. I'm trying to work my brain. I feel even worse today.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

So, 3 weeks left on my year as an atheist.

Haven't decided how I will feel when I stop forcing myself down this reality tunnel.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Do you find it's been an effort in thinking the physical universe is the entirety of existence?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 10, 2015, 07:00:11 PM
Do you find it's been an effort in thinking the physical universe is the entirety of existence?

Not really.  It was depressingly easy, really.  But we Doktors don't believe pleasant lies.

The question is just which is the unpleasant truth?  The idea that this is IT, or the idea that a god or gods did this to us on purpose?
Molon Lube

LMNO

Only one way to find out.  Problem is, there's no good way to publish the findings.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 10, 2015, 07:03:52 PM
Only one way to find out.  Problem is, there's no good way to publish the findings.

Especially given the things I have to say to any gods that may be out there.

Yep.  We're going out behind the barn, and we're gonna settle this shit.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on August 23, 2015, 08:05:24 AM
So a while back i agreed to help my friend  move. Typical deal, he promises us pizza and beer to help out. He asked me to keep today clear to help him move, and tells me to be ready for his mom to pick me up at 11. This means i have to forego my saturday morning JKD class. Whatever, fine. anything for a friend. His mom is two hours late in picking me up. While i'm waiting, my folks tell me they're going to Huntington beach today with the cousins, and to forget about my late friend and spend the day with family instead. No i said, i gave my word and damnit i'm gonna hold to it. after waiting almost to the point that I'm about to just get on with the rest of my day, they show up and off we go. We drive out to Fullerton, pack all his heavy solid wood furniture and head out to Whittier around 2pm. As we're doing this, we pass the pizza place he intends to buy pizza from, and i suggest we stop and buy pizza from the place now, as its getting abit late for lunch and loading the truck was rather strenuous. Nah he says, hell get the pizza later.

It's past 8pm tonight, no one has eaten anything since 11am. I fucking snap and say i either want to be taken home or some goddamn food. His dad suggests getting some domino's, my friend responds by insisting we wait for him to pick up pizza from the place we passed, which doesn't deliver. When his dad orders the Domino's to be delivered, he says, "fine, get him his bitch fit pizza" as though i'm the asshole for being hungry after 8 hours of hard sweaty unpaid work. I help unload the last of his shit and leave with my folks, silently fuming. I am madder than i have ever been with this person, and honestly considering never talking to him ever again.

Your "friend" is an ass, and I recommend informing him in no uncertain terms that he has worn out your interest in doing him any favors, EVER, and why.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on September 02, 2015, 08:02:26 PM
So....that right wing terrorism article is up

Oh my god I am so excited about pissing people on Facebook off with this!

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 10, 2015, 07:04:58 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 10, 2015, 07:03:52 PM

Especially given the things I have to say to any gods that may be out there.

Yep.  We're going out behind the barn, and we're gonna settle this shit.

I'm down. Humanity has two advantages, superior numbers and actually being provably real. If "gods" exist at all they require US to exist. We do NOT require them.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on September 03, 2015, 06:32:52 PM
Well, we just got told that not only will our departing member of staff not get replaced, but that there is a "temporary hiring freeze" for our department in the event anyone else leaves.

BRB, looking for work.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: