Author Topic: Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!  (Read 93452 times)

PoFP

• Word-Salad Enthusiast and Terrified Meat Sack
  • Outlandish
    • View Profile
Re: Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!
« Reply #690 on: May 30, 2016, 12:05:01 am »
So, Inland Revenue finally returned the money they over-taxed me for a couple of years back, and I'm looking to spend some of my newly re-acquired wealth on a laptop.

I'm thinking a Dell Inspiron 15.  I mostly want something for travel, word processing and internet browing, but I thought I'd solicit feedback here as well.

What's your ideal cost? Also, what is the most you would pay?

I'm looking at around 500-700 for spending.  Not sure what that is in Trumpbux exactly.

About 780 Trumpbux if I used Google correctly.

Would you be ok with this laptop being able to game? I'm shooting for most power and functionality for cost.
Listen carefully. I don't have much time, and I only have 462 characters left. I'm a scientist from Area 52 (Area 51 was used to draw attention from Area 52, where the aliens were ACTUALLY stored) who was working on neural interfacing with networked devices. In an experiment gone wrong, I accidentally uploaded my mind to the internet. In the 2 seconds I had before my mind scrambled itself with the world's network traffic, I was able to store this snippet in this random internet signature. If you're reading this, let the world know tha

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: May 30, 2016, 12:09:24 am »
Eh, I don't mind.

I mean, I planned on installing Morrowind so I could waste time in the office in a more interesting way, but given how old that game is I'd be surprised if any computer had trouble running it.  So beyond that, I don't especially care.  That said, more power would be helpful for running newer iterations of office, multiple internet browsing tabs etc, so sure, why not.  GPU doesn't need to be flashy, but a nice processor and decent RAM is never bad.

SSD is unnecessary though.

PoFP

• Outlandish
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: May 30, 2016, 12:36:45 am »
Eh, I don't mind.

I mean, I planned on installing Morrowind so I could waste time in the office in a more interesting way, but given how old that game is I'd be surprised if any computer had trouble running it.  So beyond that, I don't especially care.  That said, more power would be helpful for running newer iterations of office, multiple internet browsing tabs etc, so sure, why not.  GPU doesn't need to be flashy, but a nice processor and decent RAM is never bad.

SSD is unnecessary though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315164

An upgrade from what you were looking at.

Not sure how you feel about Windows 10, though.
Listen carefully. I don't have much time, and I only have 462 characters left. I'm a scientist from Area 52 (Area 51 was used to draw attention from Area 52, where the aliens were ACTUALLY stored) who was working on neural interfacing with networked devices. In an experiment gone wrong, I accidentally uploaded my mind to the internet. In the 2 seconds I had before my mind scrambled itself with the world's network traffic, I was able to store this snippet in this random internet signature. If you're reading this, let the world know tha

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: May 30, 2016, 12:40:47 am »
Well, I'm OK with a new computer having windows 10.  I just don't want it on the desktop, because that is more for games, and I've heard of lots of people having worse performance after upgrading. 

Since Morrowind is literally pixel people with potato frame rates, I'm OK with that.

Edit: Computer specs do look good.  However it's currently unavailable for the UK :(

PoFP

• Outlandish
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: May 30, 2016, 12:53:21 am »
Well, I'm OK with a new computer having windows 10.  I just don't want it on the desktop, because that is more for games, and I've heard of lots of people having worse performance after upgrading. 

Since Morrowind is literally pixel people with potato frame rates, I'm OK with that.

Edit: Computer specs do look good.  However it's currently unavailable for the UK :(

We apologize for the fault in the website. Those responsible have been sacked.

Searching elsewhere while sacking those responsible for sacking the people who've been sacked.

PoFP

• Outlandish
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: May 30, 2016, 06:18:45 pm »
Sorry, had to leave work in a hurry last night before I could do some more digging for laptops. Will complete my search as I get time at work today.

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: May 30, 2016, 06:25:30 pm »
It's cool, no worries.  I appreciate you taking the time to hae a look around.  Apparently a lot has changed since I bought a laptop way back in....2011  :|

PoFP

• Outlandish
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: May 30, 2016, 10:34:49 pm »
It's cool, no worries.  I appreciate you taking the time to hae a look around.  Apparently a lot has changed since I bought a laptop way back in....2011  :|

No problem man. I remember looking around for a laptop for my GF awhile back and I found some pretty insane deals. She ended up getting a laptop that, at the time, should have cost about 900-1200 dollars. She got it for just under 500 dollars. Now, at the moment, I can't find any deals that huge. But I am finding a few in your range, or just above, that are pretty awesome.

Take a look at this

Gonna put together a little list to choose from of things like this. Will probably compile them in the next post or so. But I'll post a couple as I find them to see if you have any objections.

Which reminds me: Do you prefer Intel or AMD processors? And would you sacrifice a little reliability by getting AMD to get more RAM, Graphics power, or HD space?

LuciferX

• Metanoia
  • Deserved It
  • fripping moncrey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: May 30, 2016, 11:07:12 pm »
Got my new logic board back from Ohio last week.  I'm supposed to replace it today (again), get back in the saddle and so forth...  Thing is, I'm really starting to resent fixing a thing that is blatantly designed to not facilitate its repair.  Okay, I may overlook that hex-pentalope screw-head nastiness, because, no harm; however, flipping the ABSOLUTE last connector, connecting CPU to heatsink, to connect with the FLIMSIEST jack of them all, on the REVERSE of the board, too small for EVEN THE TIP of the spudger...  They knew exactly what that meant.  That's just fucking evil.
Hic Salta?
________
Constant Eso-Opthamologist of Elicited Stopped-Clock Illusions, brings it back, or sinners just repent______

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: May 31, 2016, 05:53:55 pm »

No problem man. I remember looking around for a laptop for my GF awhile back and I found some pretty insane deals. She ended up getting a laptop that, at the time, should have cost about 900-1200 dollars. She got it for just under 500 dollars. Now, at the moment, I can't find any deals that huge. But I am finding a few in your range, or just above, that are pretty awesome.

Take a look at this

Gonna put together a little list to choose from of things like this. Will probably compile them in the next post or so. But I'll post a couple as I find them to see if you have any objections.

Which reminds me: Do you prefer Intel or AMD processors? And would you sacrifice a little reliability by getting AMD to get more RAM, Graphics power, or HD space?

I have no real preferences processor wise.  My desktop uses AMD, but previous laptops have used Intel and I've had no problems.  A little bit more RAM is always nice...not so much for gaming, but having multiple tabs on a browser, a word processor running, music playing etc all at once can strain a system.

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: May 31, 2016, 05:54:29 pm »
Got my new logic board back from Ohio last week.  I'm supposed to replace it today (again), get back in the saddle and so forth...  Thing is, I'm really starting to resent fixing a thing that is blatantly designed to not facilitate its repair.  Okay, I may overlook that hex-pentalope screw-head nastiness, because, no harm; however, flipping the ABSOLUTE last connector, connecting CPU to heatsink, to connect with the FLIMSIEST jack of them all, on the REVERSE of the board, too small for EVEN THE TIP of the spudger...  They knew exactly what that meant.  That's just fucking evil.

I think the idea is to make you buy a new one.

Junkenstein

• Technically-Oriented & Horribly Mobile Crecy of Crab Lice.
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: May 31, 2016, 06:15:45 pm »

Take a look at this

I have no real preferences processor wise.  My desktop uses AMD, but previous laptops have used Intel and I've had no problems.  A little bit more RAM is always nice...not so much for gaming, but having multiple tabs on a browser, a word processor running, music playing etc all at once can strain a system.

Junkie's first rule of IT purchasing - you're never just buying one thing. Consider bullshitting your local PC hole that the "educational establishment that you represent" is looking to purchase 50+ laptops for students along with software/maintenance etc. But first the treasurer wants 1 only to use over the summer to check reliability etc.

You may just be able to bag something a touch above spec for the same cash, done right. (Make sure it's cash so you can "claim it back out of petty cash"). If you get an idiot and a good deal, great. If not, you know exactly what you're looking for online. Also, don't be shy about comparing prices on your phone in front of them. Always a fun reaction, particularly if they're selling it as a good deal.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Trivial

• Corporate Drone #5235
  • Deserved It
  • No
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: May 31, 2016, 07:31:08 pm »
I get fairly good deals on used equipment.  New is meh.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Trivial

• Corporate Drone #5235
  • Deserved It
  • No
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: May 31, 2016, 07:34:15 pm »
Workplace came up with a term "intrepreneur" it makes me angry.  Even more so that it is there to "stimulate interest in millennial employees"
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

The Good Reverend Roger

• Horrible Bastard
  • One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: May 31, 2016, 09:15:58 pm »
Gotta put off the write up on account of I'm busy as hell and they still haven't released the damn pics.

:tgrr:

I find it absolutely unreasonable that I should have to work at work.  At any rate, I'm here overnight on Thursday, and I'll write it up with or without pics.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.