Author Topic: Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!  (Read 108884 times)

Cramulus

• Deserved It
    • View Profile
    • Cramul.us
Re: Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!
« Reply #555 on: May 11, 2016, 08:35:31 pm »
I like LMNO's framing there.

I feel like a lot of the objection to common core is that the adults in this metaphor always used food processors and can't fathom their kids being taught anything different.

LuciferX

• Metanoia
  • Deserved It
  • fripping moncrey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 11, 2016, 09:27:49 pm »
I followed a different curriculum and also had similar problems with the food processor.  Because the final exam was timed, I had become dependent on making preparatory measures on the food-processor (calculator), that would not entirely result in me also showing my working, to the detriment of my grade.  Although this sucked for me way back then, it accurately expressed how the food-processor detracted from my capacity to think-through and hold together the 'process' of cooking.
Hic Salta?
________
Constant Eso-Opthamologist of Elicited Stopped-Clock Illusions, brings it back, or sinners just repent______

Freeky

• Can't breathe anymore.
  • Deserved It
  • wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 11, 2016, 10:46:24 pm »
Xaz, 11 is 4th grade, or the second-to-last year of elementary school (unless that elementary school has 6th, also).  That's when kids start learning their multiplication and division, and fractions.  Even in 8th, I still remember going through fractions and geometry.  Algebra wasn't until 9th, when kids were STILL having problems with x and /.
If someone does the “Fine, you’re right, I’m clearly a terrible person, I’m Satan, I’m the worst person alive, I should just die” thing in response to criticism of their harmful behavior, they are trying to manipulate people and flip the situation around so that they look like a victim.

As a neuroscientist I have to disagree with the perception that anyone is doing mathematical modeling of cognitive intelligence, yet; intelligence as an economist defines it, yes, but economists are worlds away from actual cognition.

Although it is outside the purview of this organization to offer personal advice, we can say -- without assuming any liability -- that previous experience indicates (and recent market studies corroborate) that given the present condition of the marketplace, continuing with your present course of action is likely to result in substantial in

The Good Reverend Roger

• Horrible Bastard
  • One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 11, 2016, 10:51:26 pm »
I'm going to argue that, in that the knife might not always be the stupid way to do it, and you should probably be proficient in using a knife if you are going to be a cook.

Good point, and I do think it's useful to have some of the tables memorized. 

The main argument I'm seeing though, is that people are seeing two different things as "wrong".  The teachers are seeing that the kids haven't learned the techniques, and the parents (usually, it's the parents) are seeing that the answer was right, so who cares about the technique?

Speaking as a tradesman by training, the method is as important as the results.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pergamos

• Deserved It
  • Did it for the cookies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 12, 2016, 07:02:49 am »
As a parent who helps his kid with math I definitely know the pain of needing specific techniques.  My daughter also takes after me in hating to show her work.  Fortunately for me she's home schooling (online charter) so the lesson is right there if I don't understand it.

Cainad (dec.)

• Houseplant Supreme
  • Deserved It
  • The Emperor's Hairy Right Hand
    • View Profile
    • Internet Forum Safari
« Reply #560 on: May 12, 2016, 06:59:24 pm »
Cainad complains:

The doc diagnosed typical hyperthyroidism, which explains very clearly why I lost 20 pounds in three months and my resting heart rate was over 100. So for now I'm Grabbin' Pillz.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little pissed. I was in the best physical shape of my life 6 months ago, and now I can barely do a push-up without feeling like I'm dying.

Anyone got advice for getting fat?

MMIX

• Prince of Whales Blowhole
  • Deserved It
  • FUNEX? S, VFX. FUNEM? S, VFM
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 12, 2016, 07:21:23 pm »
Cainad complains:

The doc diagnosed typical hyperthyroidism, which explains very clearly why I lost 20 pounds in three months and my resting heart rate was over 100. So for now I'm Grabbin' Pillz.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little pissed. I was in the best physical shape of my life 6 months ago, and now I can barely do a push-up without feeling like I'm dying.

Anyone got advice for getting fat?

Hypothyroidism. Works like a charm!

More seriously, once they get your thyroid levels re-balanced your weight should sort itself out.
The opposite of “bonfire” is, presumably, “malice.”

LMNO

• Lubricated and Rabid Lungfish of Impending Sexdoom™
  • Deserved It
  • Internet Fuckweasel of Haunted Pork Dimensions.
    • View Profile
    • Earfatigue Productions: When it has to sound like you give a shit.
« Reply #562 on: May 12, 2016, 07:21:32 pm »
Pizza and beer.

LMNO
-Worked for me (whoops).

Cramulus

• Deserved It
    • View Profile
    • Cramul.us
« Reply #563 on: May 12, 2016, 08:59:15 pm »
Help me locate a thread... I recall there being a great thread around here where somebody was talking about That Good Anarchist Utopia and people smacked some sense into him. Actually there's probably a dozen threads like that.

Where did the "I'm gonna take your sandwich" meme come from?

I need to smack some sense into a deluded anarchist and I think that thread might have been a right and proper Chair Leg of Truth.

Freeky

• Can't breathe anymore.
  • Deserved It
  • wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 12, 2016, 09:11:06 pm »
Help me locate a thread... I recall there being a great thread around here where somebody was talking about That Good Anarchist Utopia and people smacked some sense into him. Actually there's probably a dozen threads like that.

I need to smack some sense into a deluded anarchist and I think that thread might have been a right and proper Chair Leg of Truth.

Was that one of Captain Utopia's?  It kind of sounds like the one he ended up going full potato over and that's why he changed his name to "Captain Utopia."
If someone does the “Fine, you’re right, I’m clearly a terrible person, I’m Satan, I’m the worst person alive, I should just die” thing in response to criticism of their harmful behavior, they are trying to manipulate people and flip the situation around so that they look like a victim.

As a neuroscientist I have to disagree with the perception that anyone is doing mathematical modeling of cognitive intelligence, yet; intelligence as an economist defines it, yes, but economists are worlds away from actual cognition.

Although it is outside the purview of this organization to offer personal advice, we can say -- without assuming any liability -- that previous experience indicates (and recent market studies corroborate) that given the present condition of the marketplace, continuing with your present course of action is likely to result in substantial in

The Good Reverend Roger

• Horrible Bastard
  • One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 12, 2016, 09:30:08 pm »

I used it first, but I stole it from the "Wayne Brady" episode of David Chapelle.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LuciferX

• Metanoia
  • Deserved It
  • fripping moncrey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 14, 2016, 10:00:34 pm »
Logic board replaced.  Machine booted, performed backup.  HDD then proceeded to corrupt it's own boot sector, all by itself, and launchd shit the bed.  Such are the dangers of domesticated unix.
Hic Salta?
________
Constant Eso-Opthamologist of Elicited Stopped-Clock Illusions, brings it back, or sinners just repent______

PoFP

• Word-Salad Enthusiast and Terrified Meat Sack
  • Outlandish
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 15, 2016, 07:31:10 pm »
When I breathe in just above normal amounts, I get a very very sharp pain in my chest just under where I suppose my heart is. Feels like something is pressing on my ribs or stabbing me there. Shortly after the pain, I have to take shallow breaths. And I have to avoid yawning or the pain becomes so much that I would probably pass out. I went to sneeze earlier and the pain was so bad the sneeze stopped mid-start. This kinda thing happens from time to time but usually only lasts a few minutes. It's been going on for an hour or so now. Should I go to the doctor?
Listen carefully. I don't have much time, and I only have 462 characters left. I'm a scientist from Area 52 (Area 51 was used to draw attention from Area 52, where the aliens were ACTUALLY stored) who was working on neural interfacing with networked devices. In an experiment gone wrong, I accidentally uploaded my mind to the internet. In the 2 seconds I had before my mind scrambled itself with the world's network traffic, I was able to store this snippet in this random internet signature. If you're reading this, let the world know tha

Q. G. Pennyworth

• Slimy Thing Who
  • Deserved It
  • QUEEN BITCH OF FLYERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 15, 2016, 07:41:51 pm »
When I breathe in just above normal amounts, I get a very very sharp pain in my chest just under where I suppose my heart is. Feels like something is pressing on my ribs or stabbing me there. Shortly after the pain, I have to take shallow breaths. And I have to avoid yawning or the pain becomes so much that I would probably pass out. I went to sneeze earlier and the pain was so bad the sneeze stopped mid-start. This kinda thing happens from time to time but usually only lasts a few minutes. It's been going on for an hour or so now. Should I go to the doctor?

That sounds horrible and at least "call the doctor's office" worthy.

LuciferX

• Metanoia
  • Deserved It
  • fripping moncrey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 15, 2016, 07:51:37 pm »
Intercostal cramp?

---

Bad sector(s) on drive preventing bootable clone of HD.  Relevant good files stuck on time-machine.  Why do I use time-machine?
Hic Salta?
________