News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

ITT: Confess your WOO!

Started by Chelagoras The Boulder, June 26, 2017, 05:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

I genuinely believe that persistent thoughts have some kind of "realness."
I don't think every fictional character is "real," but I think "real" is a thing they can become.
A "real" character is owed a certain level of respect and autonomy.

No, I don't have a better word for what I'm trying to get at there, suffer my scare quotes.

Besides that:
I will absolutely imagine shoving [insert emotional state or abstract concept] into a rock and imagine taking it out again as needed, because fuckit who gives a shit how stupid it is if it works.
I once thought I heard the electricity in the wires of the machine that's running the universe.
The only time my prayers are answered are when they're directed at people I made up.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on June 26, 2017, 05:29:12 PM
I believe transhumanism is the next logical step in human evolution and, if implemented properly, has the potential to make us MORE human not less, by bypassing certain defects leftover from being cavemen, such as the monkeysphere problem. I think that in the future they'll come up with a kind of synthetic neural pathway that allows the frontal lobe to respond to stimuli at the same time as the older lizard brain parts, thus allowing our brains to respond with logic about as quickly as it does emotion.

I believe that this will make one hell of a horror movie, really.  It's got the "we're not there yet so let's guess" approach of Altered States, with turbo-powered lizard brain zombie things.

I mean, seriously, my frontal lobes are way more awful than my lizard brain.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on June 26, 2017, 10:00:49 PM
I genuinely believe that persistent thoughts have some kind of "realness."
I don't think every fictional character is "real," but I think "real" is a thing they can become.
A "real" character is owed a certain level of respect and autonomy.

No, I don't have a better word for what I'm trying to get at there, suffer my scare quotes.

Yossarian is as real as he needs to be in the 21st century, so I can't argue with this.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

I believe in the (short) future.
I believe in Saturday Nightâ„¢, despite the lack of evidence.
I believe that the party is still out there somewhere.
And also,
I believe in Pango.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 27, 2017, 12:39:46 AM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on June 26, 2017, 05:29:12 PM
I believe transhumanism is the next logical step in human evolution and, if implemented properly, has the potential to make us MORE human not less, by bypassing certain defects leftover from being cavemen, such as the monkeysphere problem. I think that in the future they'll come up with a kind of synthetic neural pathway that allows the frontal lobe to respond to stimuli at the same time as the older lizard brain parts, thus allowing our brains to respond with logic about as quickly as it does emotion.

I believe that this will make one hell of a horror movie, really.  It's got the "we're not there yet so let's guess" approach of Altered States, with turbo-powered lizard brain zombie things.

I mean, seriously, my frontal lobes are way more awful than my lizard brain.
Dude, I would totally watch this. Like, they try it on a guy who's a sociopath, he goes from antisocial mumbly dude with no empathy to a Dexter level serial killer.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Chelagoras The Boulder

Also, I would really like to pick the brains of some of the other chaos magicians around here. I've nevery tried much beyond chaos sigils, so if anyone's got advice on sound sigils, or servitors, I'd be all ears.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Vanadium Gryllz

My Discordianism is THINK FOR YOURSELF.

This has led me to discover that when it comes down to core beliefs there aren't many that I can claim to hold. All things are true in some sense, false in some sense and meaningless in most.

This is not a very fulfilling worldview.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Fallenkezef

I'm just a boring pagan.

Not a fluffly bunny, "let's steal from every religion in the world" wiccan. Old fashioned, nordic tradition pagan.

My worldview tends to be a bit darker and more old school as a result.
Engage the enemy more closely

Brother Mythos

I believe in karma.

I believe 'Qi' is real. (I was introduced to it as 'Chi,' in the course of my studies of the martial arts.)

I believe the oracle of the I Ching works, although I do not know why. (My best guess is Qi, whatever that is.)

I believe I had several out of body experiences, as a young man.

I do not believe in much, therefore I am a Buddhist. (I am not, however, a good Buddhist.)

I believe that, on it's present course, humanity will cause it's own extinction.
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

tyrannosaurus vex

Some woo I didn't include earlier:

I believe animals can sense mood and some character traits through some mechanism I have not identified, but that goes beyond body language and smell.

I don't believe in ego/"self" survival past death, but I do believe that consciousness itself survives, somehow.

I believe in meaningful synchronicity orchestrated by some "intelligence" (for lack of a better word) beyond mere coincidence.

I believe some chemically induced states of awareness can open senses and intuition to real phenomena filtered out by "normal" consciousness.

Also, I also experienced an OOBE when I was a kid, and again (briefly) recently, but I don't put too much stock in it because of the aforementioned principal that such things are impossible on account of the universe being intrinsically boring.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

All those nuclear tests in the 50s - 80s were actually the US and Russian government wiping out alien infestations.

So shut your gob and love the bomb.

The Good Reverend Roger

No other explanation makes sense.  How many times do you have to "test" known technology?

00.dusk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 28, 2017, 02:30:45 AM
No other explanation makes sense.  How many times do you have to "test" known technology?

That's actually a good point. There were about 10 tests or so involving new ideas (gun-fired bombs, the Teller-Uram device in the Castle tests, Project Plowshare, etc) and about 5 or so on environmental effects after Castle Bravo fucked the dog, but there's hundreds upon hundreds of tests out there that we know of, and that's just the USA. Most have a listed test purpose, but some of those smell like obvious lies.

You might actually be on to something, by god.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: 00.dusk on June 28, 2017, 03:57:31 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 28, 2017, 02:30:45 AM

That's actually a good point. There were about 10 tests or so involving new ideas (gun-fired bombs, the Teller-Uram device in the Castle tests, Project Plowshare, etc) and about 5 or so on environmental effects after Castle Bravo fucked the dog, but there's hundreds upon hundreds of tests out there that we know of, and that's just the USA. Most have a listed test purpose, but some of those smell like obvious lies.

You might actually be on to something, by god.

You don't bargain with alien Goddamn fungus.  You nuke it.

Bu🤠ns

I'm not really sure anymore. I think it has something to with presence and spontaneity.  Love helps a lot. If we are all one thing together then my basic predicament in any given situation is to be both or remember both aspects. This is my understanding of service and apply it as a guiding principle in my life.

That is when I'm not being a selfish prick.