News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

Rev Roger Sermon #28: Get out while you can.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 28, 2005, 10:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yahtomet

Heh. That's the best part of the doublethink.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: YahtometHeh. That's the best part of the doublethink.

UNNNNNNNNNNNNGH?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Eldora, Oracle of Alchemy

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Quote from: eldora_avalon
Cars don't counts as effects or anything else.  They can search your car if they pull you over.  

1.  50 years of case law disagree.

2.  Certain traffic stops can lead to probable cause.  Nothing smelly about that.
So let's say I get pulled over because my brake light burned out.  Let's further say the cop wants to search my car for no good reason and I say no.  Is he going to just let me go?  What are my legal rights in a situation like that and have they changed.  This is good information for us all to have.

The Good Reverend Roger

Cars don't counts as effects or anything else.  They can search your car if they pull you over.  

2.  Certain traffic stops can lead to probable cause.  Nothing smelly about that.
So let's say I get pulled over because my brake light burned out.  Let's further say the cop wants to search my car for no good reason and I say no.  Is he going to just let me go?  

Yes.  A burned out tail light is NOT probable cause.  Any arrest made from it will be tossed, and he'll be disciplined.

Unless you live in LA or Cook county, IL, in which case you are FUXORED!!111

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

So let's say I get pulled over because my brake light burned out.  Let's further say the cop wants to search my car for no good reason and I say no.  Is he going to just let me go?  

Yes.  A burned out tail light is NOT probable cause.  Any arrest made from it will be tossed, and he'll be disciplined.

I think I am pretty much fuxorz in Flint, too.  Except that the Flint Area Narcotics Group are pretty much idiots.  A lot of their stuff gets trown out anyway.  Or reduced from felonies to misdemeanors.  Plus, it is a big hassle either way.  Even if you get it thrown out, you still waste a lot of time and money.  Trust me, I have seen it.  I'll rant about that another time.  My headache's gone, how about the boot story :wink:

The Good Reverend Roger

I think I am pretty much fuxorz in Flint, too.  Except that the Flint Area Narcotics Group are pretty much idiots.  A lot of their stuff gets trown out anyway.  Or reduced from felonies to misdemeanors.  Plus, it is a big hassle either way.  Even if you get it thrown out, you still waste a lot of time and money.  Trust me, I have seen it.  I'll rant about that another time.  My headache's gone, how about the boot story :wink:

Nope.  Turd/Goat is about, and stories like this are not for neocon eyes.

Far too juicy for that.

Hoshiko

Quote from: Scytano
Drug traces on money won't be enough to convict you of anything, and if they lead to them searching your car, and you have a brick of blow, then I have no sympathy for you anyway. Ditto with trace amounts of pot resin on the seats. Unless they find a roach or some other tangible evidence, the dog smelling it isn't enough. My suggestion is to not let people who smoke pot get into your car.

I know they can't convict with traces, but that hasn't stopped them from trying someone based on that evidence before.

Look, I don't want to spend time in jail because dogs smelled something negligable in my car. It's not about whether or not I have a brick of blow, it's about the rights we have set in place so that cops can't abuse the system.

What if I did have a brick of coke in my trunk? The dogs smell it, and they search. I have the right to deny a search if I'm not breaking the law and they have no probable cause. But if they're using dogs, that right is gone. I can no longer say no to a search.

Quote from: GOATthe problem is that according to the wording of the ruling, they not only don't need probably cause to have drug dogs search your car, but they don't even need to have pulled you over. you could be inside McD's eating a burger and they could just take the dogs around the parking lot sniffing everyone's trunk...it musta taken some serious chutzpah to somehow make this jibe with the whole "unreasonable search and seizure" part of the constitution...

8)

Exactly. With this ruling, there's no end in site. We already have dogs and chemical detectors and such in airports because there's no reasonable expectation of privacy there. But there is a resonable expectation of privacy if you're walking down the street, or in your car. They should not be allowed to use dogs whenever they like.

Quote from: eldora_avalonCars don't counts as effects or anything else.  They can search your car if they pull you over.  If they decide they don't like the way you look(we beat this to death earlier, so I'll leave it alone here)they can search your car.  That's the way it's been for a while.  A lot of criminals get caught, not because of the crime they commited, but, because they were speeding, or have a broken tail light, or forgot to use their turn signal.

That's not true. They need your permission to search your car, even if you were speeding or have a broken taillight. They can be rough about getting that permission, but unless they get it nothing they find is admissable in court. Criminals get caught because they're stupid and give that permission even though they have something to hide.

The only exception is if they have probable cause, i.e. they smell drugs on you or in your car, they can see a bag of weed in your open glovebox, etc.
Making people sorry they asked since 1983.

She got the speakers in the trunk
With the bass on crunk.

Hoshiko

And I see that Roger's already addressed that.

Bella, your dream is a vision of America that scares me every day. But as long as there are people to fight those turn of events, I think I'll stick it out and help.
Making people sorry they asked since 1983.

She got the speakers in the trunk
With the bass on crunk.

East Coast Hustle

Far too juicy for that.

I'm a neocon?

whiskey tango foxtrot, yo?

:lol:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

gnimbley

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomI woke up this morning with last night's dream still heavy on my mind ... It's coming kiddies, because this dream had the quality I recognize as a precognitive dream.
We've run aground on a river of bones and I have to get my daughter out of the USA asap.

Great. I just had a great night and now this.

gnimbley

What part of:

Amendment IV
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and
effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

...Are you having problems with?

The part that Alberto Gonzales is responsible for.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: GOAT

Far too juicy for that.

I'm a neocon?

whiskey tango foxtrot, yo?

:lol:

Don't look at me like that.  You outted yourself.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

Quote from: gnimbley
Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomI woke up this morning with last night's dream still heavy on my mind ... It's coming kiddies, because this dream had the quality I recognize as a precognitive dream.
We've run aground on a river of bones and I have to get my daughter out of the USA asap.

Great. I just had a great night and now this.

I've been having a dream like that for years now. And it is too good and way too repetitive for me to just shrug off.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomI woke up this morning with last night's dream still heavy on my mind and the first thread I read was this one.  :shock:
--->snip<-----
The dreams I have are more about me being in the middle of it all.  Like we have been nuked and I am trying to find my son and husband and get us all to safety.  Just all chaos, and not the good fun kind.  I haven't had it in a while.  My mornings are so hectic that I often lose my dreams as soon as I wake up.  This is spooky.  And I get the same feeling from reading about your dream as I do when I have mine that are similar.  I can't think that far ahead, but Canada keeps looking better every day. :cry:

DJRubberducky

It's been a couple of years since I had dreams like that...it's just me and a handful of my friends, we've migrated to the coast of some body of water because that's where it's still somewhat safe and habitable, and yet we know it's just a matter of time before one more drops and we're gone too.
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.