News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

Magic: Who thinks they can do it, and why otherwise intelligent people buy it.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 29, 2009, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotPublished

Any Army religion?

*note to self - use a different word, anyone have a problem with Beef Jerky? ... I think I do atleast*
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

singer

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 29, 2009, 09:47:14 PM

Threatened?  :lulz:

Also, I didn't bring up "mind hack", nor was that what I was talking about.  I am not referring to dressing up in funny clothes and doing silly things because that's the only way you can change your "reality tunnel".  I'm talking about magic as in spells, etc.

Rat says mind hacks are not magic in the Harry Potter sense, and that was what I was talking about.  Now you are saying mind hacks ARE Harry Potter bullshit?  Am I reading this right?
No I am not.  No you aren't.  I mistook a coincidence for a pattern there and assumed a spurious correlation.  My bad.  Carry on.
"Magic" is one of the fundamental properties of "Reality"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: singer on December 29, 2009, 09:53:52 PM

Also, I didn't bring up "mind hack", nor was that what I was talking about.  I am not referring to dressing up in funny clothes and doing silly things because that's the only way you can change your "reality tunnel".  I'm talking about magic as in spells, etc.

Rat says mind hacks are not magic in the Harry Potter sense, and that was what I was talking about.  Now you are saying mind hacks ARE Harry Potter bullshit?  Am I reading this right?
No I am not.  No you aren't.  I mistook a coincidence for a pattern there and assumed a spurious correlation.  My bad.  Carry on.

No, seriously...magic IS or IS NOT a tangible force that can be manipulated by humans?

Either:

1.  Magic is a source of actual energy that can be used to do things, or

2.  Magic is a set of mind tricks you play on yourself.

Which is it? 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

NotPublished

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: NotPublished on December 29, 2009, 09:58:13 PM

Then why call it "magic", if it's a psychological trick?

I mean, besides the whole getting laid with smelly pagans thing.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Salty

To me it seems like putting nice curtains on prison bars. May change something, but nothing that makes any conrete difference.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Alty on December 29, 2009, 10:01:25 PM
To me it seems like putting nice curtains on prison bars.

Point.  But you get to have a cool name like "Morgan Wolfshadow" or "Moonwolf Silverthorn", so it all evens out.

singer

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 29, 2009, 09:57:06 PM
Quote from: singer on December 29, 2009, 09:53:52 PM

No, seriously...magic IS or IS NOT a tangible force that can be manipulated by humans?

Either:

1.  Magic is a source of actual energy that can be used to do things, or

2.  Magic is a set of mind tricks you play on yourself.

Which is it? 
Magic is a set of mind tricks you play on yourself.  Sometimes those tricks can affect others.  The source of energy is your own brain.  The things you do with it are a result of successfully influenced beliefs.  Did I leave anything out?

Cain

I'd like it to be noted, for the record, some college-age pagans are pretty cute, if you dig the Goth look.

Cain

Quote from: Cain on December 29, 2009, 09:49:11 PM
Quote from: Z³ on December 29, 2009, 09:46:24 PM
Arent the ONA the ones who claim to use human sacrifice?

Yeah.  And commune with the "Elder Gods" a la Lovecraft.  And one of their previous leaders, "Anton Long" is allegedly David Myatt, second in command of the Neo-Nazi Combat 18, one-time bodyguards for the BNP's leadership.

Also, seriously, why do I know shit like this?  Why couldn't I just take up a normal hobby, like table-tennis or something?

singer

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 29, 2009, 09:59:12 PM

Because, for some, that's what makes it work.  For others it's a different term, like mind-hack.  It's whatever allows the temporary suspension of the present programming.  

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: singer on December 29, 2009, 10:06:48 PM

Because, for some, that's what makes it work.  For others it's a different term, like mind-hack.  It's whatever allows the temporary suspension of the present programming.  

Its also a way to differentiate different 'schools' of psychological tricks. NLP is not Magic, but they both are toolboxes of psychological tricks... different psychological tricks.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

NotPublished

There are many reasons, all lame. But, I ONCE believed very heavily I could peform Mystic Magic just reciting a few words when I was at the age of 14. Over time I realised how stupid it was, since I observed that I didn't get what I wanted - but I learnt something very important from it, the use Symboligy (Not Sigils, I have no reason to use those - but along the lines of the things I wear [eg Work Clothes, Casual Clothes], Computer Programs I use etc - each thing gets me into a different mood), the idea of 'Intent and Getting-Results' and just keeping things more mindful to the things I do. I find I can think clearly like this, it is like a 5-6 step-process.

I have my Intention/Will I want to achieve
I think of possible outcomes and possible consequences and which I would rather prefer
I find which 'Tools' I will use
I plan my process
I peform the Process and use the Tools
and results .. if I fucked up, its only because I screwed up with my selection choice or possibly my Process.

It may be a weird-way to think, but this is the whole experience I've taken from it. I find it useful to have. I don't believe in anything - hell I treat belief itself as a Tool, all I see is that I am living in this world, and work my way through it.

Also, I have no issue of calling it Mind-Hack, Brain Fuckery, Magic, and whatever those other terms were. But if the term kept changing, whilst being discussed, thats just a Brain Fuck itself. The terms itself have no meaning to me, but rather its the process - I have no idea what to label it as. But I don't really mind either way.

Dysfunctional Cunt

I think "paganism" for many is a step in the path.  Kind of a gentler way to shift from something mainstream or even nothing at all to a state where you question everything, trust no one and hang out at places like PD just for the jollies!!  :wink:

As for "magic(k)" so many want the fairy tale.  Magic falls into the "Happily Ever After" category.  Wicked stepmothers, witches and pretty princesses.  It's a draw and a lot of people who want something, anything, try it on for size.  

I did, and I was the whole walking talking goddess spouting freak show.  You name it I tried it.  The problem came when nothing happened.  I learned to deal with my own shit and not even look for any "miracle/magical" cure. 

So while I agree with much of the OP.  I do think there is a transitional group out there on the "Magic(k) Scene" who are just passing through!!

I personally prefer to deal with people at the end of that journey as opposed to the begining of it!  :evil:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: singer on December 29, 2009, 10:03:36 PM
The things you do with it are a result of successfully influenced beliefs.  Did I leave anything out?

Yeah.  The part that explains what that means.