News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

Magic: Who thinks they can do it, and why otherwise intelligent people buy it.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 29, 2009, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 11, 2010, 03:02:29 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 03:01:41 AM
Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 11, 2010, 03:00:47 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 02:54:58 AM
I didn't make the assertion, so the argument is not mine to make.

You're being disingenuous here, the picture implied an argument.

No, actually, that was pure mockery.  

Ok, I guess I gave you too much credit.  Anybody else?

Anyone else what?  You're expecting people to line up to prove your notion?

Sorry, pal, you're the one attacking the ruling paradigm*, you get to make the argument.

*  I feel dirty using that word, but in this case it actually applies.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Shai Hulud

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 03:04:16 AM

Anyone else what?  You're expecting people to line up to prove your notion?

By that I meant anyone else wanna respond with, y'know, an argument.  I'm done trying to squeeze blood from a Rain God.  Have a nice night, Rog:)

*  I feel dirty using that word, but in this case it actually applies.

That word NEVER applies.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 11, 2010, 03:06:18 AM

Anyone else what?  You're expecting people to line up to prove your notion?

By that I meant anyone else wanna respond with, y'know, an argument.  I'm done trying to squeeze blood from a Rain God.  Have a nice night, Rog:)

Again, you made the assertion, you back it up.  If you had taken any real courses (ie, requiring math) at all during your college years, you'd know that.

But, hey, if you feel the need to run away from your own flawed argument with that "goodnight, Rog" appeal to ridicule bullshit (you don't know me well enough to truncate my name), it's okay.  Most of the sissies do.

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 11, 2010, 03:06:18 AM
*  I feel dirty using that word, but in this case it actually applies.

That word NEVER applies.

Objectively speaking, it just did.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Johnny

Im a humanities major, and i think that hard sciences arent "king" in my field.

But oh, when it comes to medicine and technology, i do not wish to, nor i can, argue against it.

One can be objective about numbers and chemicals, but not about meaning and values.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Shai Hulud

Rog, you need to chill out.  I mean it, have a good night, I wish you all the best.
Let me say to everyone, I'm not running away from the argument, which may or may not be flawed.  I'm not afraid to have my flaws sussed out, properly.  I haven't found out yet because nobody has come at me yet with a counter argument.  I'd happily answer to anybody including Roger, but I'm going to objectively say that that doesn't seem like it's going to happen:)  Where did everybody else go?  

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: JohNyx on January 11, 2010, 03:12:09 AM

But oh, when it comes to medicine and technology, i do not wish to, nor i can, argue against it.

One can be objective about numbers and chemicals, but not about meaning and values.

I can give a counter-example.

Shai Hulud

Off the top of my head, I disagree with you about chemicals because of my whole thing with the scientific method, which is still in the aether right now.  I'm also not sure I'd agree with you about numbers, although my inclination is that direction.  Numbers sure seem objective.  What's your basis for that?

The Johnny

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 03:14:10 AM

:buttsecks: <--- the awesomeness of this?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 11, 2010, 03:13:42 AM
Rog,

Stopped reading right there.  

If that's how you want things to be, that's how they will be.

I am nothing if not responsive to mortals.

TGRR,
Always willing to fuck with someone non-stop, when they DEMAND it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: JohNyx on January 11, 2010, 03:15:43 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 03:14:10 AM

:buttsecks: <--- the awesomeness of this?

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE2l6CPna4M   <---watch all the way through.

Shai Hulud

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 03:15:51 AM

Thanks, I appreciate it.  I'd like to talk with you, but I just can't walk that fine line between insult comedy and pissing everybody off that talking to you requires.  Haven't got the energy.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 11, 2010, 03:15:17 AM

Off the top of my head, I disagree with you about chemicals because of my whole thing with the scientific method, which is still in the aether right now.

Still in the what?  1913 wants its textbook back.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 11, 2010, 03:17:24 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 03:15:51 AM

Thanks, I appreciate it.  I'd like to talk with you, but I just can't walk that fine line between insult comedy and pissing everybody off that talking to you requires.  Haven't got the energy.

That's a damn shame.  You know, I would expect a 5 year old to be able to process that when I say "you don't know me well enough to truncate my name", I meant "you don't know me well enough to truncate my name".  Since you insisted on making it personal after I dropped a 5 ton hint, I am operating under the impression that you want to have a huge, never-ending flame war that will leave a smoking ruin of every thread that you (and thus I) pass through.

Well, sir, let me assure you that when it comes to this sort of thing, I am your man. 

Shai Hulud

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 03:17:44 AM

Off the top of my head, I disagree with you about chemicals because of my whole thing with the scientific method, which is still in the aether right now.

Bully!  
Posts like this are why I actually look up to TGRR.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 11, 2010, 03:20:24 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 03:17:44 AM

Bully!  
Posts like this are why I actually look up to TGRR.

You have a funny way of showing it, Guy.  I mean, being as deliberately and personally offensive as possible doesn't usually convey that.