Magic: Who thinks they can do it, and why otherwise intelligent people buy it.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 29, 2009, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 12, 2010, 09:25:29 PM
Ra worshippers weren't monotheistic.  Someone is confusing "Ra" and "Aten".

After years of agony provoked by the complete FAIL of this thread, i can finally rest in peace knowing that i managed to last enough to actually learn something.

<dies>

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

ETA:  I'm gonna have to add an UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG! here, as the standard gesture of respect to the expert who gets everything wrong.

EDITED FOR CLARITY:

QuoteThe cult of Ra (the Sun God) during the New Kingdom, esp under the rule of Akhenaten was a monotheistic one

Akhenaten equated Aten and Ra as one and the same. He was the Sun God of Midday... remember the Egyptians didn't have single duty deities. They had incarnations/aspects and those incarnation/aspects were often given their own names, much like the Hindu system.

The Aten was named Ra-Horus-Aten, because he was an aspect of Ra and included aspects of Horus.

The worship of a singular deity out of the pantheon was not original to Akhenaten (he was just the guy that tried to force it down other people's throats). Ra's followers had been trending that direction since the Middle Kingdom.

As for Religion and Ritual/Magic... they are not the same.

Religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose existence. It generally includes some supernatural deity and a moral code.

Ritual is a series of actions performed mostly for their symbolic value. It 'can' be religious, it 'can' be based on the society you live in and not 'religious', it can be completely devoid of religion.

Masonic rituals, for example are not religious rituals.
Magic rituals may or may not be religious depending on the context and practitioners. For example, a Wiccan coven casting a circle and performing the Great Rite is religious ritual because its tied directly to their beliefs and their supernatural views. Antero Alli, performing a ritual with Para-theatrics is not religious at all, since there's no moral code, no supernatural entity and a lack of any required 'beliefs' or views on why/how the Universe got here.

Come on Page 50... and DILDOES!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on January 12, 2010, 09:37:59 PM

ETA:  I'm gonna have to add an UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG! here, as the standard gesture of respect to the expert who gets everything wrong.
Again, you're wrong twice over.

QuoteThe cult of Ra (the Sun God) during the New Kingdom, esp under the rule of Akhenaten was a monotheistic one

Learn to History.

I notice you didn't link to your source, asshole.

While it's true that Aten originally was an aspect of Ra, during the reign of Ankenaten he was viewed as a different god with a different role, as a quick trip to Wikipedia would have shown you.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aten   Ra as such was NEVER worshiped monotheistically.

LEARN 2 FUCKING READ, DUMBSHIT.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on January 12, 2010, 05:53:47 PM

What's the position we're arguing if it's not censorship? You want me to stop or admit it's a very bad thing? I'll happily admit that a great many things are very bad things, including the trappings of religion and the occult. Are we even debating anything here anymore?

I guess we aren't.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 12, 2010, 09:48:29 PM
Ra worshippers weren't monotheistic.  Someone is confusing "Ra" and "Aten".

ETA:  I'm gonna have to add an UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG! here, as the standard gesture of respect to the expert who gets everything wrong.

Learn to History.

While it's true that Aten originally was an aspect of Ra, during the reign of Ankenaten he was viewed as a different god with a different role, as a quick trip to Wikipedia would have shown you.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aten   Ra as such was NEVER worshiped monotheistically.

you can't argue with someone who honestly believes we can all be right at the same time, depending on what "model" we're using.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Learn to History.

More than read... learn to history.

Ra, from his earliest worship at Heliopolis to the end of the New Kingdom had several names, he had aspects which at different times were kinda of worshiped as different gods and at times were all Ra.

"The Aten" at least based on the poetry we have left, was originally an object, the Egg of Ra. Eventually the object was venerated (as we have priests of The Aten at Heliopolis). Ankenaten though equated Ra and Aten (no longer The Aten, but Aten an aspect of Ra).

Wikipedia, as that bastion of great and trustworthy information does actually make this point, but only in the topic on "Ra":

QuoteDuring the New Kingdom, the worship of Ra became more complicated and grandeur. The walls of tombs were dedicated to extremely detailed texts that told of Ra's journey through the underworld. Ra was said to carry the prayers and blessings of the living with the souls of the dead on the sun boat. The idea that Ra aged with the sun became more popular with the rise of The New Kingdom. Eventually, during the reign of Akhenaten(mid 1350s-1330s), the worship reached the level of "uncompromising monotheism" [/i

Ra and Aten are the same 'God'... they are different incarnations and Ankenaten gave him greater power and greater importance... but it was still Ra. In fact, Ankenaten claimed that the earlier belief that he was the Sun God was merely metaphorical and in fact he was the ONLY GOD. Up until the 9th year of his reign, Aten was pictured with the traditional Hawk's Head image of Ra. This representation stopped, not because Aten was not Ra, but because Ankenaten outlawed idols etc.

Aten can be seen as a deity, but not as a deity completely separate from  Ra. He is an incarnation of Ra, an expounded, more powerful interpretation of the Sun God which eventually lead to him being the Sole God (as the 'Great Hymn'  describes).

That is, while Ankenaten was pissing on Osiris and Amon-Ra etc... He did not pit Atun against Ra, rather he equated them as the same entity, with Aten being a 'better understanding' of Ra.. the fuller view that he's NOT ONLY the god of the Sun, but the God of everything.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on January 12, 2010, 10:03:38 PM

Learn to History.

you can't argue with someone who honestly believes we can all be right at the same time, depending on what "model" we're using.

Err, I definitely don't believe that. I have never said that everyone is right depending on their model. Some models are terrible. Some are useful for some things, others are useful for other things. If you use the wrong model, you're wrong.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 12, 2010, 09:20:59 PM
Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on January 12, 2010, 05:48:41 PM

Are you confusing 'ritual' and religion?

There's no difference.

Getting ready for work in the morning is a daily ritual for me.  I brush my teeth, shave, shower, deodorize, there is a set way I do this and I stick to my little ritual, it leaves me feeling awake and ready for the day.  That doesn't mean there is anything religious about it.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Learn to History.

I'm not arguing so much as taking the piss.  I've been wanting to do this since he trashed my psycho letter just for cheap kicks.

One good turn deserves another.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 12, 2010, 11:15:32 PM

Learn to History.

I'm not arguing so much as taking the piss.  I've been wanting to do this since he trashed my psycho letter just for cheap kicks.

One good turn deserves another.

I figured you were just arguing for fun...

Ah! PD.com the real Argument Clinic  :lulz:

Shai Hulud

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Freeky

Epimetheus

POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS