News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Magic: Who thinks they can do it, and why otherwise intelligent people buy it.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 29, 2009, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on January 14, 2010, 04:27:57 PM
This thread needs at least one whole page of  :barstool:

Like I was trying to explain last time I argued magic the barstool is actually an arguement FOR funny hats.

In the parable of the barstool the fact that the barstool is actually, truly, mostly space doesn't matter, what matters is the fact that if you are hit with it, it hurts.

The fact that the laws and assumptions regarding magic may be complete bullshit doesn't change the fact that it works (in some cases) and it works better if you accept those rules and laws.  So the barstool says, the funny hats and the robes may be bullshit, but they still hurt if you get hit in the head with them.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

The Johnny

I think the real moral of the story is: we shouldnt drink.

Because it provokes senseless blabbing which will make you get hurt.

Dont drink!
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 14, 2010, 11:43:55 PM
This thread needs at least one whole page of  :barstool:

Like I was trying to explain last time I argued magic the barstool is actually an arguement FOR funny hats.

In the parable of the barstool the fact that the barstool is actually, truly, mostly space doesn't matter, what matters is the fact that if you are hit with it, it hurts.

The fact that the laws and assumptions regarding magic may be complete bullshit doesn't change the fact that it works (in some cases) and it works better if you accept those rules and laws.  So the barstool says, the funny hats and the robes may be bullshit, but they still hurt if you get hit in the head with them.

wow. way to miss the point as completely as anyone I've ever seen. for your analogy to work, the funny hats and the robes would have to hurt ME solely because YOU believed they would.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Bu🤠ns

Man, it's like trying to tell children to stop picking their nose.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on January 15, 2010, 12:13:55 AM
This thread needs at least one whole page of  :barstool:

The fact that the laws and assumptions regarding magic may be complete bullshit doesn't change the fact that it works (in some cases) and it works better if you accept those rules and laws.  So the barstool says, the funny hats and the robes may be bullshit, but they still hurt if you get hit in the head with them.

wow. way to miss the point as completely as anyone I've ever seen. for your analogy to work, the funny hats and the robes would have to hurt ME solely because YOU believed they would.

Nope.  The barstool doesn't hurt you because I believe it will.  It hurts you because it's a barstool.

-Dok Howl

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

BabylonHoruv

-Dok Howl

MMIX

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Nast

"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

MMIX

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

BabylonHoruv

-Dok Howl

The Johnny

-B.F. Skinner

BabylonHoruv

-Dok Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 15, 2010, 12:27:13 AM
Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on January 15, 2010, 12:13:55 AM
This thread needs at least one whole page of  :barstool:

The fact that the laws and assumptions regarding magic may be complete bullshit doesn't change the fact that it works (in some cases) and it works better if you accept those rules and laws.  So the barstool says, the funny hats and the robes may be bullshit, but they still hurt if you get hit in the head with them.

Nope.  The barstool doesn't hurt you because I believe it will.  It hurts you because it's a barstool.

what hurts me, right now, is having given 30 seconds of my life to both reading and responding to your abject idiocy.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"