News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

Curiousity Poll: Race.

Started by Ur1el, March 05, 2010, 04:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

I got knocked out of my first choice program in college because they took a black girl with a C average over me, a white girl with an A average, to meet a quota.  :|
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Juana

Exactly why I refuse to answer. My last name is very, very common and crosses racial boundaries in some places, so they can't do that to me because they don't know for sure when I am.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

rygD

Quote from: Suu on March 09, 2010, 08:54:16 PM
Quote from: rygD on March 09, 2010, 08:43:39 PM
I see what you are saying Suu, and although much of it was stated as questions, it just brings up more questions. (Wouldn't Haitians and Dominicans already be mutt?  I seem to recall that in the Dominican Republic they don't view race anything like people in, say the US, as they are so mixed.)  Most in Europe would be mutts to some degree, I suspect, even if they are just a mix of European blood (highly unlikely due to the amount of traveling and trade).  I would guess that most of Asia and Africa would also fall into this category for the same reasons.  I highly doubt that the people who made it to the Americas so long ago made it with "pure blood", not that it mattered after the Europeans arrived.

Just out of curiosity, what do you get if you cross Euro-mutt and "Native" North American probably-mutt with Dominican mutt?  This isn't me (I am an even wider variety of mutt), but I would guess you will end up with mutt if you look at anyone close enough.

Also, as I understood it, latino and hispanic fall under the category of ethnicity.  I just checked the definition of ethnicity at http://dictionary.reference.com/define/ethnicity , got nothing that clarified it so that I understood, so I looked up ethnic, some definitions of which suggested that race is ethnicity, but other definitions make it sound like "American" could be an ethnicity.  Is this just another way to propagate "us vs. them" or is there a commonly accepted understanding of it that permits practical usage of the word?

Can't we all just be humans?

NO!
I refuse to be one of you people...

That is really all I think we have going for us, though.  I am pretty sure all the "races" didn't start out as distinct as they are now, just as dog breeds.  My whole family is (are?) mutts, even my pets!
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

rygD

Quote from: Suu on March 09, 2010, 09:22:28 PM
I got knocked out of my first choice program in college because they took a black girl with a C average over me, a white girl with an A average, to meet a quota.  :|

Sometimes I wish we lived in a place that had more of a focus on Equal Opportunity.  Does EO not include race?

Dysfunctional Cunt

My multiracial background has equaled out in me to be 100% bitch!  :evil:

rygD

I see you are stuck on canine related terminology also...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: rygD on March 09, 2010, 09:48:11 PM
I see you are stuck on canine related terminology also...

Believe it or not, you aren't actually required to be a dick 24/7.  Take the day off.  You'll feel better for it.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Race is mutable. Heritage is not.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 09, 2010, 09:52:11 PM

I think both can be diluted, though, in a manner of speaking.

For example, I am almost 100% Cornish (there was some lady in Ireland who couldn't run fast enough about 200 years ago or some such thing), yet I know nothing of Cornwall outside of what I read in Wikipedia one slow workday.

I have an undiluted racial background, and no heritage whatsoever.
Molon Lube

Triple Zero

Quote from: Suu on March 09, 2010, 08:07:10 PMI disagree with the "Latino" racial genre. Almost every country in Europe was once under control of Latin-speaking Rome and the Latin languages or Romance languages are more than just Spanish or Portuguese, and being European Spanish or Portuguese does not make one Latino either, but they certain claim to be, so why the FUCK isn't Italian Latino? Italy the place of the birth of the Latin language, and home to many thousands of original explorers that found and interbred with the native peoples of the Caribbean. Shouldn't Romania be Latino? Their language and cultures are much more closer to the Romans that founded it.

a Romanian girl I knew considered Romania a latin country?

and to say Italy is not a latin country is kind of weird as well.

afaik, the word "Latino" is (originally, before popmusic and movies brought it everywhere) originally used in America anyway, so ...

Plus, they call South America "Latin America", right?

I think you're reading too much in the "Latin" part of the word "Latino".
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 09, 2010, 09:54:18 PM

For example, I am almost 100% Cornish (there was some lady in Ireland who couldn't run fast enough about 200 years ago or some such thing), yet I know nothing of Cornwall outside of what I read in Wikipedia one slow workday.

You can definitely lose touch with a heritage, but the heritage itself doesn't change, whereas races, like the cultures from which heritage stems, are in a constant state of change. Heritage is history, which doesn't change; only how we remember it changes.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 09, 2010, 09:58:47 PM

You can definitely lose touch with a heritage, but the heritage itself doesn't change, whereas races, like the cultures from which heritage stems, are in a constant state of change. Heritage is history, which doesn't change; only how we remember it changes.

Apparently, my heritage is piracy, and getting your neck stretched before 25.
Molon Lube

rygD

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 09, 2010, 09:58:47 PM

AH, I misunderstood heritage, then.  I was thinking I might have to go and press my mother's family for my share of the family wealth that I lost the right to due to my father not fitting the "family image of decency".

Cramulus

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ