News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

BEST IDEA EVER

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 22, 2011, 12:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payne

High speed retractable/ extendable beard.

Cain

Cat penis condolence cards, complete with artifical cat penis.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 29, 2011, 12:06:30 PM
Cat penis condolence cards, complete with artifical cat penis.

I'd buy that shit. and I hate greeting cards.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BadBeast

Randomly picked Governments. Like Jury Duty. Compulsory compliance. Four year terms.(Unless you have a Doctor's note saying you are exempt because of your propensity for megalomania) Take the Politicking out of politics.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Cramulus

They had that for a while in Athens--didn't work out. Do you know somebody that absolutely should not hold a public office? In the lottery system, morons have a better chance of getting into office than competent people. (due to a high ratio of morons to competent people)

BadBeast

Well, the 'competent' don't seem to have much more of a chance under the present system. And there seems to be a rather high percentage of the corrupt and greedy megalomaniac type getting through. Most of the people I can see that "absolutely should not hold a public office" are either already there, or trying to climb the greasy pole of power by bribing and co-opting the aid of corrupt Corporate brokers. So even if they do get to the top, the favours they owe these Sharks will compromise any integrity they may have set out with. The random element will at least cut these Corporate Pirates out of the equation. I'd rather have a Government made up from normal people who haven't bartered their integrity away during their rise to power, than the present lot of Whores we seem to end up with.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Scribbly

So you guys know about micro-pigs, right?

How about micro-bacon!

Like regular bacon, but smaller! Therefore, less calories, cuter, and you can fit it in your pocket!

MICRO-BACON!

:bacon:
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

HOLD ME CLOSE TINY BACON
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: BadBeast on November 01, 2011, 02:37:36 PMWell, the 'competent' don't seem to have much more of a chance under the present system. And there seems to be a rather high percentage of the corrupt and greedy megalomaniac type getting through. Most of the people I can see that "absolutely should not hold a public office" are either already there, or trying to climb the greasy pole of power by bribing and co-opting the aid of corrupt Corporate brokers. So even if they do get to the top, the favours they owe these Sharks will compromise any integrity they may have set out with. The random element will at least cut these Corporate Pirates out of the equation. I'd rather have a Government made up from normal people who haven't bartered their integrity away during their rise to power, than the present lot of Whores we seem to end up with.

But if you randomly select a moron, chances are pretty big some Corporate Pirate will find a way to buy them.

And even if you happen to pick a smart person, they'd still have to have a spine.

Similarly, the ones with a spine, might not necessarily have the best intentions.

All you do is let loose the system, which just means the one that can abuse the game the best, will win. And they don't have to be lottery-picked to win.

Now I believe that the Athenian government lottery-picked 300 people or so. That could potentially work very well if they'd keep each other in check from being bought out. Of course only if there's some sort of consensus among the general population that this would be a bad thing (which is not necessarily the case in the US, or many places).

Now I wonder, Cram said "that didn't work out", but did Athen really crumble because of their democratic lottery?

Also I remember there were some specific issues with the surrounding farmlands and such, and how they were (or weren't) part of this lottery, I forget how exactly, history's not one of my strong points.

Additionally I was going to reference this, but then I didn't need it, but it's still awesome/interesting, so here it is:
http://www.gandalf.it/stupid/stupid.htm
A bunch of essays on the nature of stupidity. Always a good thing to study!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

BAZOOKA BRIEFCASE

That's my American dream.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 01, 2011, 04:49:57 PM
Now I wonder, Cram said "that didn't work out", but did Athen really crumble because of their democratic lottery?

TBH I hadn't read up much about it. Here's the relevant vocab words:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sortition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demarchy#Lottocracy

trix

There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Richter

Formal trousers incorporating a Papua New Guinea penis gourd by Armani.

Complimentary break time bungee jumping at any skyscraper office.

Uncomfortable meeting room chairs, Torquemada style, so people get the hell on with it.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Wizard Joseph

A SALADSHOOTERTM THAT FIRES VEGETABLE PARTICLES AT NEAR RELATIVISTIC SPEED AND NEVER RUNS OUT OF AMMUNITION (NOT JUST FUN, BUT COULD ALSO SOLVE WORLD HUNGER, A FEW DIFFERENT WAYS)

OPEN AUCTIONS INSTEAD OF VOTING AND BACKROOM DEALS FOR CASH (SOLVES MANY PROBLEMS WITH A GREEK MODEL)

A TRULY FRICTIONLESS LUBRICANT THAT NEVER DEGRADES IN ANY WAY NO MATTER HOW THINLY APPLIED (DITTO)

BUILDING MATERIALS WITH ENOUGH PLUTONIUM ALREADY MIXED IN THAT THEY NEVER REACH FREEZING TEMPERATURES AND SNOW FAILS TO ACCUMULATE ON THEM
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl