News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

Miley Cyrus, Pedobear, and the Hollywood Spectacle

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, August 27, 2013, 08:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

I would like to point out, though, that saying "smooth jazz" isn't music is like saying Coors Light isn't beer.  Not strictly accurate, and you shouldn't mock people who can't afford better.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on October 07, 2013, 08:53:46 PM
lawl, implying Miley Cyrus is intentionally trolling is now declaring her a "Discordian Troll Queen".

Did you get that strawman on special?  It's looking a bit ragged...

Regarding a pop artist with anything but eye-rolling disdain is a violation of Discordian Standard chapter 17, part 172.48. Such action will be considered an attempt to put said pop artist on one of the Great Discordian Pedestals, and shall be addressed using standard Class B Heresy Mitigation protocols.

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 07, 2013, 08:55:42 PM
Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on October 07, 2013, 08:54:44 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 07, 2013, 08:52:04 PM
Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on October 07, 2013, 08:48:07 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 07, 2013, 08:41:58 PM

It's not art if you're not starving.

Right. Only the penniless artist can be subversive.

Social SatireTM and Screwing With The MachineTM are brands owned by Starving Artists, LLC.

Making money while doing these things, especially if being paid through large corporations, is subcultural appropriation, and will be dealt with using the angriest bloggers available.

And a resounding denouncement from the holding-your-smokes-backwards smooth jazz crowd, which is - as it ought to be - bowel-liquifyingly terrifying.

Just WAIT until my buddy living in Hairy Steve's basement publishes my scathing essay about your SELLOUT in his 'zine!

Then you'll be sorry.

I shall rend my beret in shame.   :sad:

:lulz:

Pæs

Miley Cyrus has RWHN chewing his knuckles in frustration. I nominate her for Discordian Troll Queen.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 07, 2013, 08:47:44 PMhow she completely encapsulates everything that is so garishly fucked up with mainstream pop culture.

OH MY GOD, YOU FINALLY GET IT!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 07, 2013, 11:43:58 PM
Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 07, 2013, 08:47:44 PMhow she completely encapsulates everything that is so garishly fucked up with mainstream pop culture.

So you are worshipping her for being the top of the shit pile
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 08, 2013, 12:10:20 AM

You're just too damned old, RWHN.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 07, 2013, 08:50:45 PM
Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 07, 2013, 08:49:40 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 07, 2013, 08:41:58 PM
Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on October 07, 2013, 08:41:29 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 07, 2013, 08:32:28 PM
Yeah, and I don't think anyone's denied that she's paid to do so.  What we are saying is that she's taking the piss.  You seem to think these are mutually exclusive things, because apparently Miley Cyrus is something less than a human being, and can't possibly do such a thing.
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 07, 2013, 08:33:21 PM
Yeah, took a quick look, and I don't see anyone saying she's doing this as a charity event.   :lulz:

Of course she's making money while braying laughter in everyone's faces.

:bob:

Give "Bob" one good reason why she shouldn't.

It's not art if you're not starving.

Strawman.  Pink Floyd made (and still makes) huge bank on art.  Of course, DSoTM was an actual purposeful commentary, and not an unaware accidental one.

Pink Floyd was about as subversive as my grandmother.

ETA:  My grandmother at least didn't whine, which is about all Roger Waters has ever been good for.

"Wah, life is a grind and there's pressure and stuff and it gets tedious and kind of empty. I'm gonna juxtapose commentary about that with imagery of crackups. Even though the guy I'm using for inspiration was a schizophrenic, which is, uh, you know, a pre-existing condition."
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

I better expand on that.

RWHN, you referred to Pink Floyd earlier as "subversive", and that's kind of funny considering that they are now and have always been establishment as fuck.  But every decade or so, someone comes along and shoots the kneecap off the current musical scene.  They have to; if they didn't, the whole damn thing would go sterile. 

Of course, it's usually several people.  In this case, it was about 3 people.  Rhiana, Lady Gaga, and now this kid.  The whole twerk-pop no-effort bullshit scene is now as dead as jazz, and it's long past time.

And you know who the old people are?  The people who see a change like this happen, and immediately bitch.  Sometimes because they can't handle change...And sometimes, as with you, because the change was made by a subgroup they don't like (in your case women, in the 50s it was Black people), and because the change further buries any connection you have to contemporary music.  Pink Floyd is a perfect example of this...A useless pack of fossils who were fossils when they were young, a perfect cog in the machine, and fossils NOW, who exist only for pretentious old gasbags to whine about, while referring to when music was REAL and not this awful noise the kids listen to.

So, yeah.  You're too damn old.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Wow, now I know what your opinion of artists is. They aren't even people to you, are they?

I think she's creative and hilarious because she's playing the game, but she's playing it in a way that highlights the ugliness of the game, which is upsetting a lot of people. Which is exactly what I've been saying since my first post. Thinking someone's creative and hilarious is not worship.

Your bitterness and negativity is really just depressing to behold. All you seem to do is go around finding threads where people are saying things you disagree with, so you can try to "nope" them to death. The sad thing is, I get the impression that for you, this IS really trying to contribute.

Uck.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 08, 2013, 12:28:19 AM

Wow, now I know what your opinion of artists is. They aren't even people to you, are they?

I think she's creative and hilarious because she's playing the game, but she's playing it in a way that highlights the ugliness of the game, which is upsetting a lot of people. Which is exactly what I've been saying since my first post. Thinking someone's creative and hilarious is not worship.

Your bitterness and negativity is really just depressing to behold. All you seem to do is go around finding threads where people are saying things you disagree with, so you can try to "nope" them to death. The sad thing is, I get the impression that for you, this IS really trying to contribute.

Uck.

More to the point, he completely MISSED the point.

She set the "shit pile" on fire.  Whether or not someone believes that this was accidental or on purpose is largely irrelevant.

But yes, referring to artists of any caliber as a "shit pile" is pretty fucking telling.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 08, 2013, 12:30:51 AM

Uck.

She set the "shit pile" on fire.  Whether or not someone believes that this was accidental or on purpose is largely irrelevant.

But yes, referring to artists of any caliber as a "shit pile" is pretty fucking telling.

Yeah but none of our perspectives have any validity because we're wrong and also because nope.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Not Your Nigel on October 08, 2013, 12:37:15 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 08, 2013, 12:30:51 AM

Uck.

Yeah but none of our perspectives have any validity because we're wrong and also because nope.

Who cares what a cranky & pretentious old fart has to say?  He can nope all day fucking long, and he's still that old man in the loud shorts & black socks, grumbling about those rotten kids and their hooligan music.

AFK

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 08, 2013, 12:25:55 AM
I better expand on that.

RWHN, you referred to Pink Floyd earlier as "subversive",

Wrong in the first sentence.  I said that they provided commentary on DSoTM.  For example, "Money" as artful commentary on the greed that pervades Western culture including the music industry.   But the whole album was a, in my opinion, marvelous and quite artful commentary on culture.

They were able to make that artistic statement and also make a boatload of money doing it.  So, no, you don't need to starve to make great art. 

But being the worst of the worst isn't making great art.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Be Kind, Please RWHNd on October 08, 2013, 02:19:29 AM
For example, "Money" as artful commentary on the greed that pervades Western culture including the music industry.   

So, basically, rich people whining about rich people.   Just like I said. 

Since we're chopping posts up.

AFK

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 08, 2013, 12:25:55 AM.  But every decade or so, someone comes along and shoots the kneecap off the current musical scene.  They have to; if they didn't, the whole damn thing would go sterile. 

Of course, it's usually several people.  In this case, it was about 3 people.  Rhiana, Lady Gaga, and now this kid.  The whole twerk-pop no-effort bullshit scene is now as dead as jazz, and it's long past time.

This is the funniest thing I've read in awhile. 

Granted, I'm also in the minority opinion, (on this board), that Lady Gaga is extremely overrated.  I mean, she's basically a living mash-up of Madonna and Marilyn Manson.  I'll give her that she has a decent voice.  Same with Rihanna, who is easily the most talented of the three, but none of them were groundbreaking. 

The music industry has long been deperately looking for another big Nirvana-like, sweeping cultural moment.  Hasn't happened and probably won't ever happen again, not on THAT scale.

It's way too watered down now.  Great music is still being made, to be sure, but not in that big landmark kind of way.