News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: I see you've come to PD. I too like to live dangerously

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, April 28, 2014, 08:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 05, 2014, 12:05:53 AM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 04, 2014, 11:38:40 PM
I think one of the things that frustrates me about chemistry this term is that the professor is not very good at math, and flips out if we solve problems in ways other than the way she does it, which is really upsetting because more than once I've looked at a problem and worked out how to solve it in a way that makes sense, and she's told me it was wrong, even though I had the correct answer, and then she was like "you have to prove that the math works" and I said "it's all right here, written out, it's just I did the conversions at the beginning rather than the end and multiplied this by 1/2 rather than divided by 2" etc. and then she's like "well if I can't follow it I can't tell it's right" and I'm all AAAAAAARRRRGH
and the way she solves equations makes no fucking sense half the time, plus she gets lost and confused when demonstrating one and then just gives up.

I am starting to suspect that she went onto organic chemistry because it's so much less math than other subfields, but her expertise in ochem is not helping me with buffers or electromagnetism or nuclear chemistry.

There are very few things as frustrating as a bad teacher.

She's not uniformly awful, but the fact that she wants us to use dimensional analysis instead of doing real math just seems lazy as fuck.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That said, I think I did pretty well on the exam, except for the one sodium question that I realized I fucked up as soon as I walked out.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Got my grades back.  What I expected.  I fucked up on my final paper, due to getting the submission date wrong and all the things that have been going wrong in my personal life thus far.

I got 3 points deducted, which was a real shame as had I got the full marks for the paper, my average for that module would be 2 points higher by now.  Nevertheless, I still have a solid score, more than enough to qualify for a high 2:1 grade and get into the dissertation program.

Just waiting now for module selections for next year to be available.

Junkenstein

Excellent work that man. Have you had the list of choices yet or are they still being determined?

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Thanks.  Still to find out.  Electives change depend on staff and student availability.  One is Terrorism: How to Respond and the other is a choice between Critical Infrastructure Protection, Far Right Terrorism, Terrorism in Antiquity, Piracy, Suicide Terrorism and Terrorism and the Internet.

Not sure how many credits each module is, so I may get one, or more than one.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 05, 2014, 05:24:43 AM
That said, I think I did pretty well on the exam, except for the one sodium question that I realized I fucked up as soon as I walked out.

:)
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on June 05, 2014, 08:54:57 AM
Got my grades back.  What I expected.  I fucked up on my final paper, due to getting the submission date wrong and all the things that have been going wrong in my personal life thus far.

I got 3 points deducted, which was a real shame as had I got the full marks for the paper, my average for that module would be 2 points higher by now.  Nevertheless, I still have a solid score, more than enough to qualify for a high 2:1 grade and get into the dissertation program.

You guys are kicking ass.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 03, 2014, 10:56:40 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 03, 2014, 10:50:40 PM
I used to shit on GRRM because fuck, how many years between books?

Then I wrote LOBB and now LDW.  And I am suddenly feeling a lot more tolerant.   :lulz:

That's something weird about the entertainment industry dynamic, isn't it? Being entertainingly creative isn't really all that easy, but if it's something you happen to be good at, you sort of become a possession of the public, because you have something they WANT. To CONSUME.

CREATE, CREATIVE MONKEY! CREATE! HOW DARE YOU NOT CREATE ON MY SCHEDULE AND UP TO MY STANDARDS? I WANT IT!

DANCE MONKEY! DANCE YOU GODDAMN MONKEY! DO THAT THING THAT'S FUNNY!!!

http://youtu.be/qiqnC4BgIkg
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

It's probably been explained elsewhere, but I'm not sure I understand "high 2:1".
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Raz Tech

Quote from: Wikipedia
The upper division is commonly abbreviated to "2:1" or "II.i" (pronounced two-one). The 2:1 is a minimum requirement for entry to many postgraduate courses in the UK. It is also required for the award of a research council postgraduate studentship in the UK, although possession of a master's degree can render a candidate eligible for an award if their first degree was below the 2:1 standard. Informally known as an, "Attila the Hun".

The percentage of candidates who achieve upper second-class honours can vary widely by degree subject, as well as by university

British grading structure, apparently.  It's interesting.
Here's the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Well-done, Cain!

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My phone will not stop fucking ringing... I have writing to do that HAS to be done today, but it's Interruption Central here. I might have to leave the fucking thing at home and go to the library.

My favorite was the coordinator for a program that will go unnamed asking me to write a blurb about my experiences with the program. She needs it today. Basically right now. Yeah, let me drop everything during finals and get that to you, that's totes reasonable.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 05, 2014, 09:16:15 PM
My phone will not stop fucking ringing... I have writing to do that HAS to be done today, but it's Interruption Central here. I might have to leave the fucking thing at home and go to the library.

My favorite was the coordinator for a program that will go unnamed asking me to write a blurb about my experiences with the program. She needs it today. Basically right now. Yeah, let me drop everything during finals and get that to you, that's totes reasonable.
What?! mwahah
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"