News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

BREAKING: US MARINE THROWS PUPPY OFF A CLIFF

Started by Cain, March 04, 2008, 03:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

no one said anything about a generalization of all the military are killing machines, it was you who implied it.
I see a video of a prick throwing a dog off a cliff, i judge him to be scum.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: triple zero on March 11, 2008, 03:05:16 PM
meh i think there are more retarded arguments being made in the world than to care about that one.

:mittens:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Random Probability on March 11, 2008, 08:45:48 PM
Perhaps I was attempting to make too fine a point.  Also, I apparently neglected to wax sufficiently verbose to convey my sentiments.  My apologies for the confusion.

By your comments I can only conclude that none of you have been in the military, nor do you really know anybody who is or was in the military at some point in their life.  It is equally obvious that somewhere along the line a few of you became firmly entrenched with the meme "all military personal are brainwashed into being mindless killing machines".  All of you are intelligent enough to realize that such a belief is every bit as ignorant as the meme "all niggers are thieving motherfuckers" or "all women are whores".  Be that as it may, these are your beliefs so I suppose I should "respect" your beliefs, such as they are.

Of course, this is the internet after all, but it is also a Discordian forum, so I'm not sure what to think here.  At least this thread is mildly interesting.  Am I to take it that the Puppy Shot Put is "serious bizniz", eh what?

Oh look at you master those sweeping generalizations! Well done.

My father is career Army, my sister is a Marine, my brothers are Army.

Whatever your point is, you are still failing to make it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Random Probability

Quote from: Faust on March 11, 2008, 08:50:33 PM
no one said anything about a generalization of all the military are killing machines, it was you who implied it.
I see a video of a prick throwing a dog off a cliff, i judge him to be scum.

Actually it was Fing Feng who put that thought out there.

Random Probability

Quote from: Nigel on March 11, 2008, 10:26:41 PM
Oh look at you master those sweeping generalizations! Well done.

My father is career Army, my sister is a Marine, my brothers are Army.

Whatever your point is, you are still failing to make it.

My comment was more directed at Feng, but... meh.

You're right, I'm not making a point, and I should be.  We have a saying "What happens in the field, stays in the field".   The thing is, at the time it happened everybody had to know about it.  His fireteam leader knew, all of his squadmates knew, and his squad leader knew.  They had to.  Especially about something like that (with video even).

Getting into what causes things like this to happen, well... that's a bit more complicated.  Is killing an animal cruel?  That's debatable.  It isn't pleasant, but that's our "civilized" view of death.  I won't argue that aspect of it.  What I see at the heart of it all is a severe difference of opinion on the sanctity of life.  I can't even begin to explain what it's like in combat.  I don't have the words for it.  Learning to function in the face of constant mind numbing fear has a very significant effect on the way people think.  When human life has no real value and can be revoked instantly and without warning, it becomes impossible to really give a shit about things that don't mean anything like birds and insects and even puppies. 

Was the guy out of line?  Yeah, a little bit.  It's not the kind of image the folks back home like to see.  Does it make him a shithead?  Meh.  I don't know him, so I can't say for sure.  Then again, none of you can either.

Questions I'd like to have answered: Where did the puppy come from?  Where was its owner?  Where was its mother?  Was she dead so the puppy was doomed anyway?  What did LCpl. Motari's platoon leader do about the situation at the time?  Was the owner reimbursed for his loss of property?  Was the owner already dead because he was an insurgent?

If LCpl. Motari has already faced Office Hours for the incident, prosecuting him just to satisfy the bloodlust of the folks back home is both illegal and immoral.  But this is an emotional issue, isn't it....  Or is it?

Random Probability

Even more simple than I imagined.  How about that.

Roo

meh. just like the "favor" we did for the Iraqis.

Nast

I'm glad that he felt particularly creative that day.  :roll:

It seems as if he's sorry for getting caught
but not really sorry for what he did.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Faust

im sure the dog understood the aesthetic value of being thrown off a cliff as it plummeted instead of an abrupt death by gunfire.

Nast

Perhaps he should have glued googly eyes all over the dog and called it a conversation piece?
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Random Probability

Mm-hmm

I suspected as much.  Shoot the dog you say?  You mean like this:
Dog hit by car
or
Dog house-to-house
or
Rabid dog in Iraq

Faust

as tempting as dog-cruelty-01.wmv sounds i think i'll pass.
you win, he had no other choice but to throw that dog down that cliff, god bless all the benevolent troops of the world

Random Probability

Quote from: Faust on March 12, 2008, 01:44:15 AM
as tempting as dog-cruelty-01.wmv sounds i think i'll pass.
you win, he had no other choice but to throw that dog down that cliff, god bless all the benevolent troops of the world

The file was named by some PETArd half-wit who either didn't get or ignored the full story.  Some soldiers attempted to humanely put down a dog that had been hit by a car.  Unfortunately their weapons proved insufficient to the task.  It seems assault rifles are made to wound and nine millimeter pistols are made to kill.  Go figure.  Maybe they should have just left it alone, or sent it financial aid or something.

Nice wording in your reply, btw.  Did it ever occur to you that... never mind.  You want to keep your precious world paradigm.  Ignorance being bliss and all that.

Random Probability

Oh, btw, I do apologize for not being more clear earlier.  I'm at work and flipping randomly back and forth between simulations, so I'm haven't been concentrating.  I just wanted to be the one to throw up the "bullshit flag" on this one.

~kthxbye

hooplala

Quote from: saint aini on March 11, 2008, 04:18:03 PM
As for the rape issue, Hoopla, I hope you are raped by a rabid pack of dogs or models who would rather be naked than wear fur.

. . . thanks?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman