News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

Rev Roger Heresy #4: Rejecting Malaclypse the Younger.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 01, 2004, 07:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epimetheus

O SHIT.

Only saw the Monty Python statement, at first glance.

I have a feeling I'll need a good sleep before attempting the rest, which I will have to break up into one line per day.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Luna

Quote from: Epimetheus on October 27, 2011, 04:57:50 AM
O SHIT.

I have a feeling I'll need a good slap before attempting the rest, which I will have to break up into one line per day.

For some reason, that's how I read it, and I was all "WHUT?"

No more PeeDee before coffee.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Epimetheus

Quote from: Luna on October 27, 2011, 10:53:21 AM
Quote from: Epimetheus on October 27, 2011, 04:57:50 AM
O SHIT.

I have a feeling I'll need a good slap before attempting the rest, which I will have to break up into one line per day.

For some reason, that's how I read it, and I was all "WHUT?"

No more PeeDee before coffee.

Preferably with a fish.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Last I heard, he was being a militant atheist in Canada

East Coast Hustle

He always takes the easy way out. If he had any balls he'd go be a militant atheist in Uganda.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on October 27, 2011, 04:57:38 AM
WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE

I couldn't help myself.  I was mesmerized with PTJ being mesmerized with his own greatness.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on October 28, 2011, 12:00:36 AM
I wonder what Tao Jones is up to these days?

:lulz:

Goes to Germany to get with EvT.

EvT isn't impressed after all.

Moves back to Toronto to preach the gospel of Richard Dawkins.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 28, 2011, 08:34:25 PM

I couldn't help myself.  I was mesmerized with PTJ being mesmerized with his own greatness.   :lulz:

I am astonished by how often Dunning/Kruger Effect crops up.  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on October 29, 2011, 02:07:23 AM

I am beginning to think it is humanity's default position.  If you DON'T have it, you're sick.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 29, 2011, 04:52:07 AM
Quote from: Nigel on October 29, 2011, 02:07:23 AM

I am beginning to think it is humanity's default position.  If you DON'T have it, you're sick.

I think you just nailed the shit out of it. So then, our challenge becomes... what area am I incompetent in, and don't know it?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I almost think this could become a really interesting writing project. It definitely ties into the BIP.

Cain

Nassim Nicholas Taleb is also big on this concept.

http://blog.bearstrong.net/articles/2007/05/17/lessons-from-the-anti-library.html

QuoteTaleb introduces the Hayekian and almost taoistic metaphor of the anti-library: A library of the books you haven't read, of the things you don't know. A massive collection of unknowledge, the anti-library contains all the books that may still change your life. Most of your favourite books are there, hidden and forgotten. It has facts you need to know, authors you'd worship. Only people who read very little can think the anti-library doesn't matter. To book-lovers, and especially generalists like me, who jump all over the place without focus, the stacks of the anti-library loom higher and darker for every book we read. Every book that changes me reminds me of the ones that still might.

The Black Swan is not about unread books as such, but about all the important, life-changing, world-changing information that we don't have. Unknowledge is an unsettling concept. Like the Death of Discworld, our eyes glaze over it and hurriedly find something more comforting to focus on. Taleb asks us to look at it, and acknowledge that it's there, a massive source of wild randomness that will eat your predictions for breakfast, and change your world again, and again, and again. As it has done so often in the past.

The title comes from a classic problem of induction, (it took only the unexpected observation of one black swan to ooverturn centuries of observations of white ones), but I like Taleb's turkey metaphor better: Imagine that you're a turkey. You've eaten well and lived in safety every day of your life. Everything in your experience tells you that tomorrow will be no different. Then Thanksgiving arrives - a Black Swan event.

Taleb also talks about Unknown Unknowns - things we don't know that we don't know about.  For reference there are also known knowns (things we know we know), uknown knowns (things we don't know we know) and known unknowns (variables in weather would fall under this category - we don't know what the weather will be this time next month, but we know it will fall within certain general ranges.  It will not, for example, rain sulphur).

Cain

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on October 28, 2011, 02:42:44 AM
He always takes the easy way out. If he had any balls he'd go be a militant atheist in Uganda.

It's the only way to have fun while doing it.

I think the only kind of militant that could piss of the Canadian government would be a militant Muslim.  Or American.

Kai

Quote from: Cain on October 30, 2011, 01:24:23 PM
Nassim Nicholas Taleb is also big on this concept.

http://blog.bearstrong.net/articles/2007/05/17/lessons-from-the-anti-library.html

QuoteTaleb introduces the Hayekian and almost taoistic metaphor of the anti-library: A library of the books you haven't read, of the things you don't know. A massive collection of unknowledge, the anti-library contains all the books that may still change your life. Most of your favourite books are there, hidden and forgotten. It has facts you need to know, authors you'd worship. Only people who read very little can think the anti-library doesn't matter. To book-lovers, and especially generalists like me, who jump all over the place without focus, the stacks of the anti-library loom higher and darker for every book we read. Every book that changes me reminds me of the ones that still might.

The Black Swan is not about unread books as such, but about all the important, life-changing, world-changing information that we don't have. Unknowledge is an unsettling concept. Like the Death of Discworld, our eyes glaze over it and hurriedly find something more comforting to focus on. Taleb asks us to look at it, and acknowledge that it's there, a massive source of wild randomness that will eat your predictions for breakfast, and change your world again, and again, and again. As it has done so often in the past.

The title comes from a classic problem of induction, (it took only the unexpected observation of one black swan to ooverturn centuries of observations of white ones), but I like Taleb's turkey metaphor better: Imagine that you're a turkey. You've eaten well and lived in safety every day of your life. Everything in your experience tells you that tomorrow will be no different. Then Thanksgiving arrives - a Black Swan event.

Taleb also talks about Unknown Unknowns - things we don't know that we don't know about.  For reference there are also known knowns (things we know we know), uknown knowns (things we don't know we know) and known unknowns (variables in weather would fall under this category - we don't know what the weather will be this time next month, but we know it will fall within certain general ranges.  It will not, for example, rain sulphur).

I love this concept of the anti-library. What does Taleb suggest to do about it?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish